Real Eight is pretty impressive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niruvana, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Many people say that Ample Sound is much better than MusicLab, but I found it depends on the case. Here are the videos which play the same song, and Real Eight sounds more close to the original. Of course, the overall sound quality of Ample Sound is top among these three videos, but I feel Ample Guitar sounds like a bit keyboard rather than guitar somehow. The only problem of MusicLab guitar series is the sound is too thin even though you amplify it with the amp simulators. But the winner of the squealing part is MusicLab.
    Give it a shot!

Original

from 2:28

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Try to play the chords at the beginning of the ample sound video on the distorted realeight. Sounds horrible. Chords are very essential. All they're showing is solo stuff on that distorted realeight. The guitar which can handle chords best is v-metal unfortunately. Chords in the low register on a distorted guitar is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

There is a reason why every video only demonstrates solo stuff. Every guitar vsti or library can handle this very well.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I noticed the sound quality of V-Metal is awesome, but it is not easy to use like MusicLab. As a non-keyboard player, it is important to me. I tried most guitar VSTi, but MusicLab Real series only worked so far. I may try V-Metal later when my skill is improved.

5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

That's why I said "unfortunately". :yes:

Maybe some day a more user friendly version will come out. :sad:

6. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Do you think it would be possible to add a lower gtr tone from elsewhere with realeight? Guitars are a conundrum for a non guitarist. No substitute for real guitars but for a brief use as a very basic rock tone snuggled in the back of mix on a simple track, power chords maybe, I've been searching ... I like shreddage but thought RealEight could serve this purpose perhaps?

7. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

It is a very common misconception that lower notes will make the guitar or overall sound more heavy. Why am I saying this? Because the reason why people want lower tones is exactly this. :)

But there is no real reason for lower notes than maybe the A1 or A#1. You have to think of the guitar as the role of the violin and viola in the orchestra. The viola does not cover the notes below C2. For every lower note the bass and cello takes the place, mostly octavated below the viola or violin.

For example:

Tuning? Standard 6-string.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The reason V-Metal is the best with chords is that the chords are sampled. Not all, but the most used intervals and triads in metal music. But the playability hasn't been improved since it came out (8 years ago?), so it's a major PITA to use. Like @Lieglein well said.

Shreddage guitars sample only the powerchords besides individual notes. Also, the most prone ones to machine-gun effect they have a lot of round robins (like palm mutes). And it's way more easier to play/program. You can, for instance, let Shreddage trigger the powerchord samples if it detects them from the MIDI data in.

MusicLab and Ample Sound are the most easy and productive to use, whether you play them live (MIDI keyboard) or program in the Piano roll. They have dedicated (no Kontakt) sample playing engines. Also, they're the ones with less quantity of samples.

PS. I also think metal RealGuitars (you can even include RealLPC) samples are slightly better than AmpleSound ones. Not my words, some trustworthy guy I read somewhere.

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

So digging a bit, I think it was the very same author of these cool videos about VGuitars who told me that.

The guy is genius not only getting the most out of VGuitars but quite the writer. Before seeing this video I advice you: even if you use V-Metal you won't sound like him without a lot of hard work and talent (talking from experience here :rofl:):

And finally, my best sounding guitar-tone-wise track (made with V-Metal ages ago). Keep in mind this is a festival of midi editing. Articulations (mostly fifths, flat fifths, sharp fifths, madness...), velocities,.. took me forever only to make it sound good, the foundation MIDI isn't mine. Also quad-tracked (stock V-Metal double track and tricked into quad track by using only up or down pick up directions).

Also, I used the incredible very-high gain Legion ampsim with also very high gain cab IRs (Messiah, or the usual suspects s-press-high and stuff). On a similar but different line than @Lieglein opinion you'd have to cut a big deal of the lows in a mix.

10. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

Interesting! That's why V-Metal sound quality is the best.
    I also tried Shreddage II but it was also not as easy as MusicLab. But ImpactSoundwork began to provide tutorial videos form version III. Nice!
    I have never heard MusicLab sounds better than AmpleSound.