Real Amp - Amp Modelers

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by metaller, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Which One?

1. Real Amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier)

13.8%
  2. Fractal Audio Axe Fx III

6.5%
  3. Line 6 Helix (Native)

16.3%
  4. IK Multimedia Amplitube 4

21.1%
  5. Kazrog Thermionik

4.9%
  6. Overloud TH3

23.6%
  7. Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5

16.3%
  8. Peavey Revalver 4

2.4%
  9. Studio Devil Amp Modeler Pro

0.8%
  10. Positive Grid Bias Amp

12.2%
  11. Line 6 Pod Farm 2

3.3%
  12. Brainworx Mega Dual

8.1%
  13. Audified AmpLion Pro

2.4%
  14. Lepou Lecto

5.7%
  15. JST toneforge Misha Mansoor

4.1%
  16. Fortin Nameless Suite Plugin

14.6%
  17. Fortin NTS

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

If you go hardware : Quad Cortex
    Even better captures than Kemper (witch tend to be "harsh" in the high mids with the same rig capture)

Software : profilers only (because algos didn't keep up)

Neural DSP : very nice sound BUT VERY limited choice
    THU Rig Player with cab disabled + Nebula OwnHammer or IRs (my choice for now)

IK ToneX is going to kick hardware profilers in the *** (Kemper and QC) AND other software profilers (NDSP, THU RP) , because it is open to any third party user (with ToneNet website).

Prepare for IK ToneX flood soon :wink:

PS : Fractal Audio is overpriced. And YES it can sound AND feel amazing. But you will spend MONTHS to get there.
    Not with Kemper or NDSP QC.

PPS : JST sounds very good ... until you compare it to profilers like NDSP or THU Rig Player.
    Highs frequencies are "muffled" out. Lack of clarity, until you really push it ... too far.

PPPS : to compare ANY modeler, you need to disable cab and use THE SAME IR on all of them

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I actually tried the Neural DSP Gojira plugin with the Jens Bogren rhythm IR's and it sounds amazing.
    I also use slate digital's New York virtual mix rack effect before it goes into the Neural DSP with very slight saturation to get rid of that "digital sound" and breathe more life into it

3. MYHO

MYHO Noisemaker

You don't have to plug your guitar into your computer to get rid of that digital sound.

In the vote above, I voted for TH-3, I respect them for their good work and contribution to the development of RIG cabs\amps.
    And I would also like to mention Peavey, but there is only one choice. :unsure:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

What I mean by that is that sometimes the DI feels a bit "too clean" so I try to give it more character by using the plugin.
    Real Amp's might be nice but it's quite cost expensive and you need to be able to mic a Cab decently which many people can't do .

I also had some comparison videos where I actually liked the digital VST sound more than the original one

5. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Try a good quality DI or put some Nebula "spice" after the sim :wink:

6. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I tried multiple DI's from Bands and my own I usually like it more that way. I guess that just depends on taste.
    But im gonna try out some Nebula stuff for sure haven't experimented with that before

7. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Start with Cupwise-Tone :wink:

8. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

lol
    lol I follow you now. yea i was stumped bc i read through some of your earlier posts referring to neural alot and i was like "damn, this dude likes neural stuff, how does he not know ab the qc? im boutta make his day haha!".

so i actually own a qc (the one in the photo is mine) and yes you are correct ab the not being able to edit after recording which is a bummer for me as well and if i'm completely honest the main reason i bought the qc was for tracking gtrs for my music but bc of the fact that tones can't be edited later i still end up using the ndsp plugins 90% of the time.. but yes the tones are amazing in the qc and you can get the plugin tones with it. i'll likely track with the qc much more once neural finally parts your owned ndsp plugins over to the qc like was promised during all of the lead up to its release but is yet to happen as of yet.. which has been a pretty sore spot with the qc community as you can probably imagine

• List
  9. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

There is something to understand with NDSP : they use THE SAME technology for their plugins AND QC.
    Profiling, capture ...

What does that mean ?
    It means they COULD release a "Quad Cortex" plugin ... but they WONT.
    So when they promised "plugins inside QC", they simply admitted what i said before ... and the OPPOSITE too.
    Plugins users will say "WHY dont you release a QC plugin instead" ?

That's why Kemper NEVER released anything "cross" between computer and hardware.
    Because they known it is the end when you do that.

They both want to sell HARDWARE profilers.
    Not software.

Same with Overloud: they sell third party ... but THEY choose WHO can sell or not.
    They are not going to let YOU profile with software.

As a side note, IK ToneX is going to kill everyone soon with an OPEN to anyone profiling platform : ToneNet with ToneX support

So bye bye NDSP, Kemper, THU Rig Player ... soon.

Full price : 300 bucks
    With the price difference you can buy a racked computer and foot controller :rofl:
    Or simply a laptop into rack and foot controller

Prepare for the show ... storm is coming :wink::chilling:

PS : JST is out of the game soundwise ... and i don't even speak about "algos" modelers (Helix, Amplitube ...)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I always wondered about that aswell because they could easily make an Axe FX VST etc.
    What you posted seems like a nice concept but right now im sticking with what works.
    When it's getting released I'll give it a shot for sure
    Always eager to try out new stuff and I have nothing against shelving my Neural DSP stuff for something even better :wink:

11. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

See the price of Fractal Audio hardware to know why they never made any software
    Axe-Fx III MKII Preamp/FX Processor
    $2 299,99
    More than a Quad Cortex

Hardware makers know it is harder to sell hardware ... but you get more margin and longer market share.

For sure NDSP plugins are very good

12. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Thinking the same way also there is no piracy :bleh:
    Hardware is actually practical for live sessions if you don't have a digital setup.
    Maybe for live session musicians practical but For recording probably not the best.
    Had to learn that the hard way but bought myself some nice Neural DSP Plugins from the sold Axe :D

13. MYHO

MYHO Noisemaker

I have always disliked the Amplitube, for their implausibility and hi-weight, in comparison with others.
    But it looks like a kind of TH-U Rig, and it can be cool)

I wonder if this really replicates the dynamic and static characteristics of a real amplifier as they claim.
    If this is true, this could be their big break. But until you try it, it's hard to say more.

How could you exchange this quality scrap metal for air?..
    (When I tested Neural DSP, it seemed to me that it was all about their impulses, the impulses there are really good ... but they eat my cpu)
    But if your PC is powerful and you are happy with everything, that's great!

I'm too clingy, don't mind me :mates:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  14. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

The more i listen and use profilers (hard or soft), the less i like and use "algos" sims hard or soft.
    Take an example : Helix sounds very good BUT i can't get that metallic attack dynamic crunch i get easily on profilers.

About hardware not loosing its value, it depends a lot.
    Mostly HOW MANY are sold second hand.

I seen Kemper selling for 800-1000 bucks.
    On the other side, Quad Cortex is pricier second hand ... because new ones are not in stock:rofl:

Few Fractal Audio users sell their gear. Because there are good updates and kept value.
    Less on the market lead to stable price.

15. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Actua[​IMG]lly I only bought two Neural DSP plugins.
    Bought this from the money that I got https://strandbergguitars.com/row/product/boden-original-7-trem-red/

Found an Strandberg original with certificate that was like new for only 1600€

16. MYHO

MYHO Noisemaker

It's pretty expensive to buy a kуmper now, though...
    I think you yourself are probably using your mix 90% of the time in a soft with a good external box and maybe a couple of pedals.
    I myself love and respect the old pedals, but it's so old-fashioned now.._)

Just if you buy this Pinkerton Frankenstein, at least brag about whether it's worth the money.
    There must be something good! really!) (well, 99% will crack, you can try)

I confess I'm a bad guitarist, so bad that my bass is standing near the radiator (I know you can't do that...)
    If you're a little curious, I'm the kind of person who plays really badly, and I prefer MIDI.
    (It's not shameful, I think).

I'm one of those who are waiting for something like better times for better virtual guitars, now it's not enough - what can be perceived as sufficient for realism.
    Guitars and amps have just become something of a craze and a staple.

I am not experienced in this, and can only support this topic a little. :facepalm:

17. MYHO

MYHO Noisemaker

I love this wooden stick! but damn tremolo, but I would get rid of the tremolo) A little expensive, but I can save on strings, I have as many as 7 packs of 52 caliber dadario"s left, and a couple of ernie ball slinky)

I bought all this during the release of the guitar-hero world tour ... it's me who played so little .... really

now I have this guitar, and 1 custom bass.
    But my strings dangle like a cat's balls.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  18. Barbatron

Barbatron Ultrasonic

I'm missing the otto audio ii ii ii ii thingie.

19. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I heard a lot positive stuff about it aswell but never got to try it out

20. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Strings are just something that probably annoys every guitarist in the beginning.
    Takes a long while until you found the right string tension for you.
    There are some calculators for that in the internet but also experimenting is important.

I also have two Schecter's they make really great budget guitars.
    Only thing that you should probably change in the Omen series are pickups but the rest is nice

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022