Real advantages of using Win 64 instead of Win 32 bit OS?

Discussion in 'PC' started by mrpsanter, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Hello,

At the moment I am using Win 8.1 32 bit and I was considering migrating to the 64 bit version but before doing so, I would like your feedback if you have done so (or planning to).
    I use Cubase with some VSTi (Omnissphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian...) as well as Kontakt with a few libraries (LASS, Cinesamples Brass Core...)

What are the pros and cons? Will I get any benefit from the setup I described over my current 32 bit Win 8.1 OS?

3. Demon

Demon Producer

Hello, I use Windows 64bit.

In a nutshell, a 64bit system will have many advantages when it comes to networking and resources processing, but when it comes to music production there is one simple HUGE advantage: MORE RAM.

Basically, a Windows 32bit system uses 4gb RAM If you put any more RAM, you're still using 4GB, so anything extra is wasted. On 64bit you can add as much RAM as your motherboard will allow. For instance, I have 32gb of RAM on my music computer. This is super handy when using a DAW and multiple VST ands VSTi.

Also very useful when you are modifying multiple tracks, as really, you are modifying multiple WAV and other formats of files and RAM is key here.

I could not recommend more to move to 64bit (it is surprising that they are still manufacturing 32bit).

If you do...

IMPORTANT: make sure your system allows 64bit. Check your motherboard, graphics card (if any) and any other component and write down their product numbers. Then check the manufacturer's websites for details. Each product will have specifications about compatibility.

Best of luck.

- The Demon

4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Thanks Demon for your reply.

My laptop supports 64 bit OS but it only has 3 GB of RAM therefore the 'memory advantage' you are mentionning is not relevant in my case.
    Audio tracks is also not relevant in my case since I'm only dealing with MIDI tracks.

Anyway maybe someone can enlightened me regarding any compatibility issues (if any) between Cubase 5 and Win 8.1 x64?
    Also, will there be any improvement the way Kontakt manages its libraries?

5. Demon

Demon Producer

Hi Mr Psanter,

Kontakt Guru might be able to answer your question about Kontakt libraries. The guy is always willing to help. I owe him a few beers myself.

In your case, the RAM difference might not be a big deal as you say, but keep in mind that even if you have 2 3 or 4gb of RAM, 64bit will use that RAM more efficiently than 32bit.

A while ago I had a 64bit laptop with 4gb of RAM and I run Cubase 5 on it. It was pretty good. I don't use Cubase anymore, but from experience it was great on that system. I've never experienced running it on a 32bit system, so I can't really say if I noticed any difference. But with many years of messing with computer systems, I'd always say that 64bit is better. But that's just me though.

I hope someone that has experience in a 32bit and 64bit systems can give you a better answer.

Best of luck.

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Thanks a bunch Demon,

I guess that you clarified almost everything.
    As you suggest I will contact Kontakt Guru regarding my sample libraries questions.

Have a nice weekend! *no*