Re. Light And Sound Concert Grand I'm Testing Out...

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Smoove Grooves, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Hey there, fam!

So, doing studio sesh keys and live, I've collected lots of pianos, e.p.'s, and synth instruments for Kontakt over the years.
    It's good to have an arsenal of ac. pianos for different situations.
    Just as with real acoustic pianos, after a few minutes, one can tell how it responds, and learn to work within the limitations of the instrument to get the best out of it. Just as any good musician can attune to latency and play over it, or attune to bad slap-back in a venue.
    I'd always rather use my own controllers, knowing the velocity response so well, (however good/bad they are!) and hate turning up to a gig and having to use a different controller keyboard. But as I said, we all get used to having to attune to certain things, however much it may give me grey hairs!

So it's strange, that even though I was blown away by the demo of Light And Sound's Concert Grand, upon purchasing it, after 31 years of all of the above, this is the first instrument I've been totally under-whelmed by!
    I'm sadly wondering if it's been totally over-rated, not just by me!?
    I've tried different controllers, done all the calibration stuff, but it still doesn't feel right to me at all.
    My live rig is based on SSD, 2.6Ghz, 16Gb. There are no latency probs or anything.
    I have pianos with a bigger footprint that respond way better!

My main problem is that it doesn't seem to want go as quiet dynamically as others.
    And secondly, that the round-robins on one repeated note create tonal differences that really mess things up. Makes me sound worse than I am!
    I've used a midi monitor and it seems the problem is with the instrument, not my controllers.
    I've tried my Fatar Studiologic, both of my suped up M-Audio Keystation Pro 88's (obviously not brilliant keybeds, but 60 controllers are sooo useful!), and non-weighted Yamaha CS1X (brilliantly responsive velocity curves, great controller for synth and non-vel hammond). No point in trying the D-50; never was very dynamic as a controller.

It sounds great, just doesn't play/feel as great as expected.
    If I'm just recording midi, I guess I'd be able to rectify some notes, but I haven't tried that yet. If it reveals that the quietest notes it achieves are the lowest it goes on certain patches, then that would reveal all.
    But that's not the point if I'm playing live.

Either way, has any body else experienced this?
    Is it just bad scripting?

Peas!
    Smoove

3. Daned

Daned Member

Light and Sound is a newbish company, none of their products are good.

This piano is just not well made, the velocity layers are badly done. The bass notes especially have too few velocity layers. They just don't know how to make good stuff, I'd avoid them at all cost.

4. Smoove Grooves

Feck! You are totally correct: Yes, it was the bass notes! I thought I was going crazy.
    The tonal rr thing in mid register is also a problem.
    Dayum. Such a shame. The mic options gave some great variations, but it all seems pointless now.
    Thank you ever so for responding!

5. Smoove Grooves

SO convinced was I, from the demos, that I got it impatiently without waiting...
    And of course it turned up on AZ after! <doh!>