Rate my beat [WIP]

Discussion in 'Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B' started by demberto, Mar 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. demberto

demberto Rock Star

3. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

how long have you been making beats?

4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

4,5 of 10

intro is nice...drop not so
    use piano not as usual piano...its overused , the piano , especially by newbs

5. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

1,5/10

6. cas

cas Noisemaker

For me, I liked to hear more percussive elements. Good job

7. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

and its just a snippet , no beat (track)

8. demberto

demberto Rock Star

3 months

9. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Thank you all. Many times I have an idea but I cannot find that sound/make it. What do I do? and I have a real cheap headphone so 808 is always boosted. Cannot hear it most of the times.

10. demberto

demberto Rock Star

FL Keys + Soundgoodizer + RC 20 Retro Color + Gross Beat + Tas-X ...thought it would be better than using Nexus pianos.

11. demberto

demberto Rock Star

improved beat @ https://instaud.io/3uz9 plz check and feedback.

- 320Kbps MP3. Replaced piano with another patch. More FX. Tighter 808. Used ASIO4All instead of FL ASIO. Added Hi Hats.

12. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

Wow nice ASIO4All instead of FL ASIO make that more punchy, good job. 10/10 :suicide:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

for a beginner i think its pretty good. so congrats

I think there are two important concepts that are key to keep in mind.

one is the ability to "imagine" or copy an idea from your head and translate it to your daws timeline. this almost totally independently of the sound quality or sound design, so it doenst matter if it sounds like trash as long as you get the idea down. no clear idea = dead end.

its like the ability to write good lyrics, once you have that doors open to heaven. so mix and sound choices are important but of a lower priority. without learning to develop an ear for simple and clear concepts it doesn't matter how much cool sounds one pores over a beat.

beginners get often blinded by sound characteristics instead of structure. its much easier to worry about sound and scape structure. "sound" will come in due time and when it comes you will then have clear structures to apply those sounds to.

now, in your beat some elements came in some bars after or at the "wrong" time. if the are meant to be like that one should/could maybe throw in small details to maintain the listeners interest leading into whats to come.

one fun and very effective thing to do is following:
    take your beat and make it play in your living rooms stereo while you sit down in the sofa/couch and listen to your beat as if it was a regular track from radio/tv.

you should now clearly hear every time something should have got introduced, it will bite you in the ass. you should be able to feel "here should had happened!" "the high hat or the kick should have come in here" or "to many bars without anything happening here" etc. write that down on paper in a list. when you got your list, add that the beat and now listen again as many time as it fulfils your requirements. now, dont try to totally remake the beat, just finish it with the elements you got, its always better to finish a track, if it gave you new ideas then make another track or a remix.

in this current minimalist hip hop (trap etc) its not much that needs to happen with just very few elements but, since there is not much going on its crucial things happen at the right time, when they are supposed to. if the kick is meant to come in late, well then you will need to make some triplets with the high-hat instead for instance or some "note-repeats" action, or some fx, you get the picture. keep it up!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Very true, I always get stuck in song arrangement most of the time. Also I get ideas usually when I am not making music. Sometimes I just get fed up and leave that beat/song. Especially this happens when something I added earlier sounds interesting no more/ideas have changed, then I try to change those sounds/patches - end up getting a much bad result. And still I am a noob to mixing, I pretty much almost never like the stuff I create. I got tons of plugins/presets and samples tho.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

you are on your way though. imo, mixing is another field, so ask yourself, are you going to become a producer or a mixing engineer? priorities, figure those questions early. dont stress about mixing, by the time you make nice compositions your mixings skills will also have improved just because.

but try to dont get caught in wanting to become everything, finish your tracks/beats, commit! do not hoard vsts and samples, optimally use only the stuff what came with your daw, use very few elements/instruments/fx in every track so that you can get an idea of what you are doing, how they work. and fx-wise use only reverb, delay maybe a bit of compression and automation, very moderately.

see, your first beats represent a stage in your development history. that is the primary roll of our first tracks, to teach our brains how its all supposed to be done, not to become a "radio hit". cheers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

maybe dont get into mixing engineering so much but , make youre drums knock is producer mixing work EDIT imho

beat 2 is better but you dont really have a drop there(which could be allright if you like it)...intro goess into sort of build up

try trackspacer between bass nd kick maybe you lucky...get into bass and kick mixing a bit...just watch a few vids on yt bout it..
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/kick-processing-techniques.42456/

17. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

thats best stadium at moment for you
    --------------
    keep the good shit...i so often fcked a top notch arrangment random audio shizzle by overdoing

18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

this was the best piano and hip hop track i kno...and it soundesigned not analog shizzled for the first
    in hip hop its less notes but deep...fckn 0815 piano phrases or how its called on hiphop beat ,is weak
    take max richters november and remix this...all other is weak..
    or you sample and old record with great piano phrase

im sry you did disable the piano allready in your beat and i still talk bout piano:dont::hillbilly:

19. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

At 0:48 when the bass finally comes in.. you need to add a either a tuned snare or a harder clap on every 2nd and 4th measure in order to establish a solid groove at that point. That way 0:48 will be noticeable as then end of the intro portion, and the beginning of the first solid beat portion. As of now, the full 1:02 you uploaded equates to just a long intro with nothing kicking in that indicates the song every starts going. Again, If you introduce a tuned snare or harder clap on every 2nd and 4th measure after 0:48, and continue building on the arrangement from there it might turn into something at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. demberto

demberto Rock Star

808 is sidechained to kick with compressor

problems in finding the right sounds.. that crash does not even fit there..

yess.. will definitely add

thanks all for feedback. i am getting new headphones (ath m20x) soon. most of the times i think i don't even hear the 808 "completely" (sub 30hz)

what about the pause i added with the reverse bell sound at 0:56? does it sound better?

21. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

keep doing it mate ! never stop. learn from the big guys ! good job! 5/10.

keeplooping it and improvise on top of it. record everything. keep the bests, mix them/chop them/rearrange them. use grid/ don't use grid. use litle timing errors. add vinyl noise etc