Rarely mentioned FX tryout

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by BaSsDuDe, Aug 21, 2022.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I am not trying to start a debate, this is purely an observation I personally found.
    A large majority of FX, vsts's, mixing and mastering plugins people say they use at professional levels I also agree with.
    THIS is about trying out some rarely used plugins when I decided to clean out plugins and uninstall many that I never use.

As it turned out I tried and decided to keep:
    • East West Spaces II and
    • all the UVI FX plugins
    I can honestly say they have a better snr than many equivocal waves plugins surprisingly. and I was genuinely going to delete them until now A couple of them for some people with less RAM may consider them memory or CPU heavy. I upgraded my system not so long ago so I do not have that problem. Therefore, in fairness I cannot make a decent 'across-the-board' comment on global usefulness. However, in my system, they work and sound really good and do what they say they can do.
    Ultimately is that not what everyone wants? A plugin that does what it boasts? Try them if you have not. They may or may not be for you. As a useless addition vs functionality- they also look aesthetically nice.
    Cheers

P.S. I am a musician and composer first and everything else second. If it cannot benefit the music then to me it is useless whoever makes it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. macros

macros Guest

yeah I liked the east space west verb, it and altiverb are 'true stereo" convulution reverbs which I just found out about actually. I had just assumed stereo was stereo but not when it comes to referring to reverbs I guess!

I found this on a kvr forum post , top was a question bottom is the answer from Sean costello- who it looks like is a designer for Valhalla reverb so I'm gonna go ahead and trust he knows more than I do! lol

Hi guys

There are true stereo reverbs out there, softube, relab, valhalla and I think either to name a few. But in the final analysis when mixing electronic music, no mikes involved, does it really make a difference?

- answer from Sean costello-

If you aren't feeding the reverb a stereo source, it won't make much of a difference. Some stereo reverbs do a better job of retaining the panning position of mono sources than others, but many stereo reverbs just do something different for left and right channels. This is CRITICAL to avoid weird phasing issues with stereo miked recordings, but for panned mono sources it is less important.

EDIT: If you are feeding a stereo effect into a reverb, it is best if it is a true-stereo reverb. For example, many ensemble/chorusing effects work in stereo, and summing these to mono *may* produce unwanted coloration. So this is a case where true stereo reverbs might be better for purely electronic sources.

speaking of reverbs, one that I really like for like a clear pretty texture is ddmf's great named reverb .. Envelope.... BUT I really really like it's clean setting, pretty much all I use it for.

edit: in case anyone else (besides me ha) was in the dark about the true stereo difference here is liquid sonics little blurb about it. (who is a fantastic reverb dev but thats a common opinion!) https://www.liquidsonics.com/knowledge-base/reverb-processing-topologies/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Thanks for adding a really important observation. :)
    Yes it does matter, very much so. It is audibly different and with a good convolution reverb, it makes a huge difference.
    The same goes for UVI's T'horus' and their other stereo plugins . Noticeably different (better) with a stereo source.