Raptor Lake Instability

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Jul 25, 2024.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Very sorry to hear so my friend. Where i come from we say every obstacle is (eventually) for the better, so i wish you all the best on your solo endeavors.
    To the matter at hand, i agree the decline of some corporations is obvious. I 'll stick with Intel for the thread's sake because about three years ago they sold the SSD dept (along with the engineering team that used to develop Intel ssds) to SK-Hynix who renamed it to Solidigm. And then they discontinued Optane because Optane as being a joined venture with Micron could not be sold to SK Hynix as Micron holds intellectual property of its tech as well. Intel made an excuse of high manufacturing cost, low sales and blah. What bullshit i say. And i'll try to prove it. Now follow me. 3 years ago, they still had 15% of the market. Considering Samsung at the time had 53% of the pie they were second and in front of companies that produce nand flash natively (flash is ssd's main storage ingredient for those who don't know) like Kioxia (ex-Toshiba) and ram like SK-Hynix and ahead even of WD who with the acquirement of Sandisk in 2016 had went all in on ssd land as well.
    The pie in Q32021 looked like this and do keep in mind what percentage SK Hynix had:
    Untitled.jpg

So, first of all Optane was king of the data center and all high end workstations. Also had big demand in all sort of enthusiast pcs. (I only got my hands on the U.2 400GB Optane and i deliberately held on to it for a week more than i was supposed to, i was enjoying so much i didn't want to let go. Good thing my client was lenient haha).
    So, it is only logical, when you have the fastest ssd on earth you make sure you market it correctly and see that it 's available for end users at all times. Even two years later the last high end Optane is still the fastest in terms of iops and latency. Just look at Samsung, it 's constantly the most expensive consumer ssd and yet they have the largest market share in the ssd market.
    Latest reports show Samsung holding a 40% and SK Group (Hynix & Solidigm) having risen to a whopping 33%.
    Untitled1.jpg
    SK Group from 8.6% in Q3 2021 to 33% in Q4 2023. Do the numbers add up? No they don't. Intel had 15%, Hynix had 8.5, the two make 23.5%. How did they manage to up their sum by 10% in just a couple of years? Well, it's called marketing and correct branding along with the appropriate models released, friends at Intel.
    I can imagine Hynix probably laughing now and drinking beers cheers to Intel lol.
    And then you have Intel's CEO saying to Wall Street this is Intel's strongest resurrection since 1985 :hahaha:
    I 'll stop the rant here as i 'm almost all the way off topic,
    Cheers
    PS: I didn't even mention anything about Optane ram that can double as ram and ssd at the same fkin time. What a waste.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  2. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Can you imagine if we talked about Intel GPU's? (RIP Raja Koduri BTW :rofl:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. NitroOnTheBeat

NitroOnTheBeat Noisemaker

What about GPUs?
    I was thinking to buy an ARC A770 or wait the battlemage series for casual gaming between my work hours... But I think it's not an option anymore for me after their Raptor Lake thing :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well. if you find a very, extremely cheap one could be an option. Otherwise...

But they don't have that CPU problem. Drivers maturity and compatibility is what I'd look for if I find a very good price

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

If you want peace of mind and the occasional boost in 3D games, video rendering etc, you will go Nvidia. I know the fuckers are expensive for what they sell, but Intel gpus are not there yet, too many incompatibilities and peculiar inconsistencies in frame rates, and some latest generations Radeons (4000 series and on) have been exhibiting weird black screens of death. The number is still very low to call it a defect, but i wouldn't go Radeon just now.
    And i gotta give it to Nvidia, DLSR works great.
    Btw, on the previous thing, your case is great, i don't see how the ambient temp inside could rise to 50 C, unless something is blocking the airflow or the flow isn't strong enough perhaps but the latter is a long shot. I suggest you put a real thermometer inside the case and measure the temps for real just because there's been too much false reporting from mobos lately.
    Cheers

6. Mythos91

Mythos91 Ultrasonic

I have question its a bit Tech, will this Microcode fix come via a Windows Update rather than just a BIOS upgrade? I refuse to touch the BIOS, I am not very confident with touching it, I don't want to screw up my PC.

7. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

You'll have to update your bios.

8. NitroOnTheBeat

Normally, you have to update your bios to the latest non-beta version, but at least wait for a week or two before updating to see the changes or if there are any other bugs or problems. A bios update won't harm your PC unless your electricity is unstable and you get a power loss during the update process.. that's a chance of bricking your motherboard if it doesn't have dual bios option.

9. anonymouse

10. zadiac

zadiac Kapellmeister

Lucky I have a i9 9900K. Will upgrade to 12900K.

11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

How. Unless you mean buy a new mobo, ram and cpu.
    And you really shouldn't. The 9900k is good enough for almost anything. The 12900k is almost the same manufacturing architecture as the 13th and 14th gen, so i ;d be scared to even go close. Plus it runs very hot all the time. If 50 Celcius @ idle is good for you then by all means go for it. If it was me facing this kind of upgrade i 'd know what to buy and it is not Intel hehehe.
    Cheers

12. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Tskk tsskkk tssskkk... Just cuddle it a bit first...
    Btw...Are you really sure you have a pc ? Because you seem to have a certain similarity with some MacOS users i know :hahaha:

14. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I have a i9 24 core 13900K Processor thats only 16 months old, is this one of the ones having the issue?

I am not seeing any issues yet, touch wood.....

Kinda worrying if I may say so. I only got a 12 months warranty with my rig.

15. anonymouse

Yes. Update your bios asap.

16. NitroOnTheBeat

I think no need for the microcode update if you can limit the voltage yourself on your BIOS to under 1.365 volts and do a good undervolt seems to be that 1.30-1.35 volts is more than enough to do 5.7 / 4.4 Ghz according to this post and anything above needs an RMA:
    https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...-14th-gen-i9-degrade-and-how-to/td-p/1593145/
    Some tested the update and noticed a 10° C increase in temp it may be related to load line calibration or AC DC settings done wrong by intel or mobo vendors.

17. anonymouse

18. anonymouse

Yeah it's basically just an IA VR Voltage Limit set to 1.55v.

19. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Thank you for reply.

How would I know if my CPU is already past the point of salvage? As I said in my earlier post I am not seeing any performance issues currently.

I have just looked up and my motherboard which is an Asus Z790-P and its showing the below on their website, but it also states that its a beta BIOS update? Not sure I like the idea of running a beta for my motherboard, any advise?

I have never done a BIOS update, does it retain all the BIOS current settings that was set when it was built from the PC builders?

09/08/24: The new BIOS includes Intel microcode 0x129 and adjusts the factory default settings for the non-K processors, enhancing the stability of Intel Core 13th and 14th gen desktop processors.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Did you think they had time to test it on a 1000 machines ? Of course not, so it's BETA. And really, all BIOS versions coming after something disastrous has happened (remember Meltdown and Spectre ?) are and will be BETA since they have to hurry and patch the wound any way possible.
    Cheers