Random CPU spikes in Logic Pro on Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Levonx, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

Hello, I have tried to get answers for this all over the internet, seems like nobody really has a satisfying answer that has a fix to it, so the problem is:

As I start off in a logic project, it runs well, everything is smooth, after maybe 20-30 tracks has been created, it is still running well. So after this, there is suddenly crack and pop sounds appearing. The cpu suddenly starts spiking, it's just going crazy and I have tried to check everything for if things are running native, and they are, I have tried Rosetta, it still does it. I have tried changing the buffersize from 32 - 1024. Let me just say, I have tried the basic stuff to see if it changes, it doesn't. It's like it has its own life.

Can someone tell me what it might be? What can I do? Please help me, I am dependant of this working properly, as it is my everyday job.

My MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 10 core CPU, 64 ram, 2TB...
    Ventura,

This should not be happening for so powerful a MacBook, I see others use MacBook Air from 2016, able to run MY projects smoother than mine...

This is crazy. What can I do?!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

MacBook overheating, throttling CPU down,
    use TG Pro (free trial is sufficient for test) to monitor temperatures, and eventually adjust fan speeds to prevent CPU slowing down in sustained loads

4. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

The fans are off, its not even warm or anything.. :/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Are you in sonoma?

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

if they are off, then you have a problem, because although inaudible, their minimum speed should be around 1499 rpm

7. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

No I mean they are not even starting because it's not heating up. So that's what I meant. haha.

8. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

No Im on Ventura. Every plugin work.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

there was a guy on here with a Studio, one of the higher end machines even who was reporting the same things. We ended up looking at settings with the processing core#s and he hasn't been back with the issue so I can only assume something got fixed. I remember it only because I was very surprised by the whole thing.

You haven't provided a ton of info, but I think the answer to your problem is already somewhere in this thread: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/terrible-performance-in-logic-on-m1-max-macbook-pro.134831/

Read it and check every suggestion. You could have many different things happening and it would save a lot of typing.

Like the guy who complained about a Ventura memory leak? who downgraded to Monterrey, but you could also try Sonoma. Plugin Info app from app store. etc. A systematic approach of some kind will be better than guesswork. Unless it's something seriously stupid, like you are running 20 channels of Roland Cloud plugins with Run Optimized not checked. Or 1 legit version Acustica plugin.

10. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

I have read this, seems like the same answers as other places. Searching for some new ones, since the answers are older.

11. Choosename

My advise is to update, to the most recent OTA (13.6.1 now) or going to sonoma (no major updates and kind of performance improvement, if you take the risks). Make a Time machine copy, clean all, make a fresh intallation of the maos version you choose, add things and try until you find the "thing"

12. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

I did a clean install on Ventura, worked for a few moments then it went back to cracking sounds and pops... Took me 3 days to install..

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

what temps are you seeing then, once those crackles start appearing?

14. Axleman

Axleman Noisemaker

Saving my work to an external drive solved this for me.

15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

hmm that's strange, since you have internal 2TB storage it should work fine,
    just out of curiosity, can you check if your storage isn't overheating or slowed by some internal's processes?

16. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

How cn I do that?

17. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

^^ TG Pro monitoring app as I mentioned earlier

18. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

Ok I will try it out and let you know when it starts making problems

19. Choosename

Is better to make a time machine or other method copy protection before that. So you can try different aproaches. Could be that between that moments that worked right, you installed something ?

20. Levonx

Levonx Newbie

It's probably something that is outdated that runs the CPU crazy. But this should not happen when the machine is so powerful. I paid so much money for this.

21. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

just a thought - are you using any dedicated audio interface?
    because Apple completely fucked up driver (kernel kext extensions) priority to be no higher than any other process in MacOS,
    RME recently did video on that topic of DriverKit inferior performance