Raised by Wolves Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by quadcore64, Feb 13, 2022.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Started watching the series last year to kill time and found myself enchanted by the opening theme. Music throughout the production is non-intrusive & well placed.

Listening to all 41 tracks from season 1 while importing & setting up sessions for mixing. Very well done production with bits of ear candy that poke out and never get repeated.

Good study for those interested in modern film score production.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  3. mrichi

mrichi Producer

Thanks for the share! Will have to check out the series when time allows.

To your point about ear candy, there also seems to be accents placed on repeating sounds at key points.

The composers have a well documented & noted work history.

4. ampworks

ampworks Producer

5. ampworks

ampworks Producer

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

When I first heard the opening theme, thought it was Laura Mvula. Then I realized it was someone else.
    What a beautiful presentation in that "Soft Moon" video!

7. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

Great show, great soundtrack! With regards to the show, it is definitely my kind of sci-fi. Inventive, philosophical, and risk-taking. Really liking it.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'm gathering 2nd season episodes of RBW to binge watch in a month or so. I'd enjoyed the 1st season when it aired and also really appreciated the score.

9. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

2nd season has been disapointing to me in terms of the script so far. Mitraic people where a solid culture, well written and coherent, but Atheist are nonsensical caricature. Sad. Sound desing still rocks though.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  10. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

One of the composers of that soundtrack is Ben Frost, he's the reason I got into electronic music. You might want to check his record By The Throat. After hearing it, I spent months hunting for more music like this back in the day.
    The guy also worked on the soundtracks for Dark and Fortitude (underated TV show), good stuff too. Unfortunately, his soundtrack work has gotten in the way of his personal projects, for money reasons I guess, and it really sucks.
    Is that Raised By Wolves Tv show any good? I recognize Ragnar from the screenshots :yes:

11. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Watch the first two episodes. Hopefully that is enough to determine your liking either way.
    Scoring music for video production pays the bills, period. Even for those who have a passion for process.

12. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Awful awful sci-fi. A shitty Aeon Flux wanna-be-cum-bad-female haircuts hack job. And don't anyone dare say I don't understand sci-fi, I sat through every episode of Manimal!

The intro track is... alluring, though I don't get speed up/slow down singing ... Void of rhythmic intent, too artsy for me, but enjoyable and full of talent.

13. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Those are some pretty big feelings you have there grandma/grandpa!

All kidding aside. Some people like comedy, drama, horror, mystery & suspense of all types. Likes & dislikes, can vary depending upon something as simple as who is starring in or, playing a particular role. Just because you best friend like something does not mean that you have.

As for the singing. You are saying that every opera singer, as an example, is singing centuries old melodies incorrectly.
    Pacing of words & phrases is how a singer brings a performance to life.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. babuk

babuk Producer

7.5 on IMDB on a tv show? only idiots watch below 8, pure pop corn junk or just idiotic.

15. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

You do realize that this thread is about the Soundtrack.

I have not made any reference the script, the cast, etc...

There are plenty of review sites/forums for such discourse. It did get renewed for a second season so, the viewing interest must be there. Will it get a third? Something will takes it's place if not.

16. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

That's not remotely what I said. Ur skills of inference need much work.

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I did state "as an example".

How about songs where the tempo starts at speed and then changes. Then there are those with time signature changes. Sometimes both simultaneously.

How about Pat Metheny and John Scofield going into a blast of modulated arpeggios.

If you have studied or, used polyrhythms, then, there is an understanding of what is going on & why.

Polyrhythm

In the RBW opening theme, she never really goes into polyrhythm territory. Just as you said, speeding up/slowing down. when you listen to the piece as a whole, the vocal performance never leaves the meter of the instrumentation.

18. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Dude, seriously, get over yourself, lo. I know exactly what's happening, and stated specifically, I DONT GET IT (in the sense that I don't like it, and doesn't do anything for me musically), not that it is wrong or bad. That's MY opinion, lol. How u inferred anything but that, well, again, ur skills of inference need work.

19. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

One can only make inferences upon what another has done or stated. anything else is assumption..

Your exact statement that I responded to:
    specifically:
    Never said that your opinion was not meaningful to you or anyone else. Just trying to help explain what you did not get or, understand about the vocal performance. Nothing more, nothing less.

20. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

That's one of the reasons he does it, yes, it's hard to survive as a full-time musician. From the interview I've read/seen, I also get the feeling he has some art school mentality and a drive to be perceived as a legit and respectable musician (*yawn*), like Brian Eno, his mentor, for example.
    Again that's too bad because in my eyes, he was Trent Reznor tier material. He got distracted by ballet scoring and other boring shit right when he should have been consolidating his main project. Now we get an LP every 3-5 years and personally, I just stopped caring.

21. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

It is quite possible that the change proved more challenging & rewarding creatively along with the added benefit of higher income.