Radiohead sue Lana Del Rey, claiming her song Get Free sounds like Creep

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by suefreeman, Jan 8, 2018.

1. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

i tough i'd share this:
    Radiohead sue Lana Del Rey, claiming her song Get Free sounds like Creep
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/radi...-claiming-her-song-get-free-sounds-like-creep
    ( Links to both music videos in the article)
    What do you think ?
    ---------------------------------
    Lana Del Rey has confirmed that she is being sued by Radiohead for copyright infringement. The band alleges that her song Get Free is similar to their 1993 hit Creep.

Taking to Twitter, Del Rey said: “It’s true about the lawsuit. Although I know my song wasn’t inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing - I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100. Their lawyers have been relentless, so we will deal with it in court.”

Get Free is taken from Del Rey’s 2017 album Lust For Life, which reached number one in the US and UK charts. Radiohead have yet to make any public comment on the lawsuit.

The writing credits for Creep are shared between Radiohead and Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood, who earned their recognition thanks to the song’s similarity to The Air That I Breathe, which was a hit for The Hollies in 1974.

Creep was previously the subject of a spat in 2008, when Prince covered it at Coachella and ordered all fan-shot YouTube videos of the performance to be taken down. Radiohead then insisted that it was their song and that the clips should be allowed to stay.
    ---------------------------------

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

All three songs share similarities...as everything related to pop music.
    Get creative or shu*t up ! Radiohead can do it.

This time, i'm not with Radiohead : it is ridiculous.
    And it was already ridiculous with Creep and The Air That I Breathe, on the opposite direction.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List

5. TW

TW Guest

And they both got "inspired" by the hollies :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

yups. ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

Holly sh... :woot:...Molly ...

and these people made millions...

far from me the idea of reducing the career of radiohead or lana del rey to one single , but ... Holly ... ( AD LiB )
    :snuffy:

8. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Well, 100% is very unreasonable. The choruses and bridges do not sound like Creep at all and they make up a fair amount of the song. But the verses sound like a Creep remake. And it's hard to imagine a person and especially a musician that hasn't heard Creep and while composing the song wouldn't go "well that sounds exactly like Creep, I can't rip-off Creep". I mean it's the same chord progression AND the same vocal melody. 40-50% seems fair to me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  9. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

She was being generous.. I hope they get nothing, and she gets awarded legal fees...

If Led Zep beat the "Stairway" rap.. she should sail through with this one...

some slight similarities, but the songs sound substantially different to me...

on and on it goes... smfh

Let's see if the Hollies ( or what's left of them ) jump on the gravy train again for the ride..

• List
  10. I think the morals of the story are that some chord progressions have been refried and refried to death, and that lawyers are like nuclear weapons, use them and everything turns into a mess.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Almost as ridiculous as the legal suit between these ones:

It's pop music. Everyone sounds the same, dresses the same, acts the same, sings about the same shit, and the masses know there's probably so much better out there but they like pop music regardless of whether it sucks or not because it's what's popular. Some of y'all's music on here I would probably be found jamming out to on my iPod before I would be found listening to 99% of the stuff on the radio today. I'd buy an AudioSex album long before I'd buy a "Now That's What I Call Music" album. But that's just me. I'm not the masses.

Honestly this is what you get when everyone sounds alike. We just so happen to live in a time where the age of legal litigation is eclipsed with a time where there is a drought of creativity. Or at least in terms of what is widely known. Either learn to make something that doesn't sound like everybody else or shut up. :yes:
    Now if it were me, and someone made a song inspired by one of mine, I would be slightly flattered. Just as long as it's not a direct copy of the song. If someone made an identical cover/copy of one of my songs and then sold it as their own of course I'd go after them legally because they're making money off something I worked hard on and that's pretty insulting to me. But if it's a case like this where it was "inspired" by one of my songs or influenced in some way (similar style but different sounds, style, melodies, tempo, lyrics, etc) I'd feel pretty flattered.

These songs are both big. They are both from well known artists. You're not gonna find original music but turning on the radio. Looking for original music is like hunting for treasure. But that's what makes it fun, in my opinion. You have to look for it. Therefore I guess that's also why I appreciate it so much. Because it's different when it's not being crammed down your throat. I'm sure I'd appreciate some of these pop songs a lot more if I didn't have to hear them every 20 minutes. :bow:

Just my 2¢ :mates:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

2¢? Have dollar suddenly increased in value that much?! I gotta sell my stocks!!!

:rofl: :wink:

13. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

@Impressive : Yes good music is a treasure to search for
    Among my friends, i'm the guy searching for treasures and sharing them with others ;)

Like this :

Or that :

Oh ! Forgot this one :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Member

Without wanting to hi-jack this thread or derail it into offtopic, since some people already posted similar stuff, what do you guys think about this one?

As I see it, the 7th Star guys basically are claiming ownership of an arpeggio pattern. This lead to a lot of discussion with a lot of people siding with one side and another. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Regarding the Lana Del Rey case. I can't stand her but I think she did nothing wrong. Radiohead should have avoided this non-sense, especially when they had that "feud" (if we can call it that) with Prince.

15. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Anything is possible when high ego and/or big money sums are involved. Rolling Stones (vs The Verve), got 100%.. the difference being that Ashcroft got a license to use a 6-note sample from the Oldham recording (but supposedly took too much):

The Verve bassist Simon Jones said, "We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing. They rung up and said we want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice."

In a 1999 interview with Q magazine, when asked whether he believed the result was fair, Keith Richards replied, "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer shit. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."

16. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

not a big radiohead fan, although i do like that song. never even heard of lana del rey - which shows you just how out of touch i am with current pop music. but come on. that song is a direct note-for-note rip-off of creep. and not just the notes but the way it starts off with her singing ever so softly with a sparse arrangement. i mean could it be any more of a copy? she should retain rights for the lyrics, but the music and arrangement are not original.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Ok it has the exact same chord sequence but it sounds more like a tribute or inspiration rather than a ripoff anyway. The melody is similar but to DelRay's defense, the chorus is slightly different with a different mood as well.
    Imho, all of us should keep in the back of our mind, that most of the times its publishers, managers and lawyers who start these disputes and unfortunately they drag along the way well respected artists. Ever since the "lawyers" -in a nutshell- "took over" the music industry, sht like that is expected.
    Personally i'd never mind if anyone made a hit sampling me, i'd be honored as long as my work was acknowledged and i got something for it.

The Verve story was a troubling one but despite what Richards may have said, it was the former Rolling Stones managers Allen Klein and Andrew Oldham (later in '99) who sued Verve. I do believe the Verve were fkd on that whole ordeal which ultimately led to the band splitting as well, couldn't 've been worse actually. But to be completely fair, the comparison with the original Stones song is somewhat incorrect. That was not the sampled track. It was this one:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

Lawyer's Heaven - Everybody is suing everybody !!!!

19. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Very sad story. Especially considering Bittersweet Symphony is probably my favorite song of all time.
    Edit: Come to think of it, this isn't the first time I've quoted one of your media posts in a thread. Looks as though you and I have very similar tastes in music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  21. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

o sh*t fly me to the moon..

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1