R2R 2023/2024 AA Guides, Bug Reports, Issues & Fixes Megathread (WIN)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Nov 29, 2023.

1. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

Hey, do you ever wonder why no 3rd party devs that attended the Acustica seminaries ever became official developers?

2. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Because if they attended the acustica "seminaries" eventually they would end up in the vatican praying for sheep or something...:rofl:

3. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

why?

4. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

It's a bit strange. All this upheaval and chaos that AA Plugins seem to elicit in people here. I think a lot of it is that the vast majority of commentators have no idea what hardware sounds like. And so we get into butthurt territory and plain bullshit.. At best we compare AA to Algo and give a reasonable account.

However, if you have an API or whatever and can 1:1 compare with the algos vs AA then we have maybe a fighting chance of communicating something of value.

Otherwise it's just neckbeards talking out their arses, generally.

It's a sad fact really, many folks will speak with utterly unfounded authority, as if they had actually done the things they said they had. It's like fake news and absolutely a symptom of the fact that it costs almost nothing to lie, or to (and here's the thing) consider what you are about to say to be as good as the truth. Because you know that this space does not deal in real truth, it's a construct. And so you're bullshit is as good as any truth on sale here.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  5. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

i worked in a studio that had millions of dollars worth of gear for years. It had everything you could imagine, fairchilds, pultecs, all the classics and all the modern outboard gear you could dream of. The patchbay was the size of a small SUV lol, thats how much gear there was. The studio doesnt exist anymore, but i still own a few pieces of gear. The first time i used acustica i was like "wow!" Its as close to analog as you can get when it comes to plugins. Are they perfect, no, but they are very close to the real thing. I still use algo's as well, because modern algos are great too, and can offer a different way of working, a different sound, and different features. Acustica's, algos, hardware all serve a place in my workflow. Bottom line is, whatever makes your life easier, your workflow more fun, and your mixes better, is all that matters

6. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

To be fair, AA’s geographically close to Rome. :P

7. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

Well they a have “rigorous” process in which you have to enlist in with classes and stuff. And nobody ever came out of it a dev. I just find it weird. There’s a guy that’s been waiting for 3 years for a follow up on his library (Google The Drip for Nebula).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  8. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

9. robie

robie Kapellmeister

I wouldn't give up on it yet, they may arrive. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but it seemed that during the time R2R was doing all the Acustica releases, sister site started getting hit pretty heavily with DDOS attacks daily. If I remember correctly, those attacks seem to continue, on and off, for a few weeks and were kind of disruptive. At the time, it crossed my mind that maybe Acustica had something to do with it. So maybe R2R and the powers that be on sister site decided to chill for awhile on having more Acustica releases at that time. If R2R has more of them to share, we'll probably see them sooner or later. R2R has never seemed like the kind of group that gets scared off from a challenge.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Exactly. Which is why I don't believe anything acustica has or could have done in retaliation would have thwarted R2R in any way...

11. elonbackwards

elonbackwards Newbie

I'm really thankful for all the other plugins, but yeah, I want to believe R2R will give us Purple... It doesn't seem like it tho :(

12. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

ok I need an EQ :bleh:

I am recently testing a new buss structure in my template, and I am looking for an EQ on my DRUMS+BASS/808 summing buss. I am using AA stuff more on summing busses than single tracks, so it should be something in AA catalogue, but anything else is welcome. It should be a 4-5 bands max. I tried the MDN sidecar and I didnt like it at all, I also tested this Color EQ and it is ALMOST THERE for what I need

[​IMG]

it has that cool top end both silky and aggressive-a-bit-harsh, which I need, and nice definition and coloring of the midrange. But for me doesnt work at all from the 20 to the 150hz, i mean right for the kick-bass-808 range. I tried to deactivate the bands but it doesnt matter, even with everything deactivated (preamp also...) it acts on the low end in a way I dont like, it make it TOO MUCH TIGHT so the track ends up to be thin. I have to say that the same EQ works in a very good way on the INSTRUMENTS BUSS, with just a few touches it COLORS the thing, but on the percussive low end its not working for me

in the end it has to be something for a FEW delicate touches at the end of the mix, nothing dramatic, and "a bit of color" even on default mode, very good on the top end and almost invisible on the low end.

Any advice on something else to use?

(I am also planning to test this color eq "mixing into it" in default mode, then tweak a bit at the end, that could be reasonable...but...hmm...)

13. muse2love

muse2love Producer

Still waiting to test FIRE the BASS

14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

So no one tested Sunray yet? Is it worth the DL?

15. EyelessFRL

EyelessFRL Member

I tried the EQ, Worked nice for colour (i usually cut with pro-q3 and boost with acustica). But nothing jaw-dropping.

16. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I tested roughly earlier, the compressor for the bass, I compared it against the Softube's Summit Audio, I'm aware they are different models but close, I liked the Softube's better because it has that stupid extreme low end bump that works well with HPF and it has been my go-to for quite some time. I like how it works really well with HPF. Nothing really outstanding about the EQ, tested it on mixbus but getting some blurry results, lost too much clarity on the low mids but idk maybe need to take a look at it again some other time. The preamp selection are too subtle and I don't really like it, it doesnt mean it's bad just I think there are better preamps out there and kinda beat the purpose for using something too subtle for preamp plugin (hardware for tracking is different) at least for how I use it during mixing.

Didn't notice this post. I think I have posted about how I use this EQ somewhere in this thread (or maybe other thread or AZ.. idk), too tired to look for it. Maybe it can give you some idea. Will link it tomorrow if I remember.

17. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

yeah I saw your quick tutorial! Thank you very much. I managed to get better results since then, the trick was to put the color EQ in flat but with all the bands active since the beginning of the mixing process (no preamp) and give some light touches when you are almost at the end. That way it can make some serious damage. thanks again!

18. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Mine too. I dig Softube's Summit plugins, and i was kinda lazy to install Sunray and A/B test em. But i already like Softube ones and i trust Stevie's test, so i think i will not even install it. Thanks!

19. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Has any of you guys so the YouTube video of APMastering about all digital EQ's (including all the analog emulations) sound the same. He did a test and they all null within a very small negligible margin (0.5 db). I have asked them to add convolution EQ''s like the ones from AA. What do you guys think of his statement(s)?

20. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

I’ve done a listening test (I’m not really sure how to perform a null test, so take this as you will) between Tim Petherick Silk EQ (AA Nebula convolution modulation) and the Kiive Audio Filk EQ 2. Both are based on the Siemens w295b EQ. If the Kiive is a digital EQ that doesn’t do anything more than the Fabfilter Pro Q3 – which I believe – then the Silk EQ stands out significantly. It sounds much more open and has much more believable saturation. I’m not certain if this is scientifically accurate, but to my ears, the Nebula/Acustica Audio products sound different. Better, in my opinion – and that’s what matters to me. That’s why I asked for the comparison. I hope I’m wrong so I can delete everything and just keep my Fabfilter bundle and do everything digitally.
    Show less