R2R 2023/2024 AA Guides, Bug Reports, Issues & Fixes Megathread (WIN)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Nov 29, 2023.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Nope, direct links to warez are not allowed here, please read the rules.

2. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Thx a lot, mate:)

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Why other ampsim developer didn't just copy AA's AERO Stomp and maybe just apply their algo style coding to make the plugin huh ? I think the secret is simply the dynamic distortion like in the AEROSTOMP. Most pedal in ampsims are all generate static distortion.

The pedals in AEROSTOMP sounds stupidly real! :woot:

The Tubescream sounds so damn fantastic like the real thing. How it interact with the ampsim is so real it's frightening. Mad how close they got the Zvex Wolly Mammoth sound too. All those crazy unpredictable fuzz successfully replicated. Fucking hell. I've tested all the pedals I know, owned and used to own. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them turns out to sound super good. BOSS Super OD, RAT, Timmy, JHS Angry Charlie, Fulldrive II MOSFET to name a few.

Just try put it in front of any ampsim, it makes the amp glowing like how a pedal would in real life. Weird how not a single ampsim dev manage to get this right, all the pedals in any ampsim ever all sounds like shite. I think the best one that I really like is Fazertone Overdrive Essentials. That plugin has really good sounding pedals but not close to AEROSTOMP at all. Even Line 6 for 20 years still suck at it.

Shame for that CPU usage. How the hell am I going to use it in real project. Hmm.

I'm testing the AEROSTOMP with this chain :

AEROSTOMP (German Digital EQ, all knobs at midnight as starting point) -> TH-U (Amp Only) -> TBTECH Cabinetron -> IRDX Core

Almost maxing out my CPU with just one track. Not playing live, just applying it to pre-recorded guitar track.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

im so glad theres some one else who can agree. I was blown away by Aero. I initially bought it, sold it, because of the cpu and lag, then re bought it and just use it and commit immediately. The life it brings is just something else. Try the Amp's on a thin / lifeless vst, it instantly just adds life to them. Depends on the cab and amp etc, but mess about until you find some that work and save those as presets. Sounds disgusting on low moog type synth bass lines, that are cool sounding, but lacking that oopmh etc.

I really wish we could have a best of both worlds, acustica tech married with someone like dmg or some other top class dev.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

It's the MEAN mode toggle. It's a slider on both TIGER and TIGERMIXULTRAFLAT but simplified to toggle in TIGERMAST.

upload_2024-2-6_17-0-47.png

I don't understand what you mean by "Unisum would be the best, only caveat is the sidechain filter options are lacking." care to explain ?

6. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

So you need a Intel 21st Gen 10GHz CPU to run Aero in a real working environment? :bleh:

Digital has come very far, I need to start getting used to committing and incorporating more bouncing in my workflow.

Hyper would be a huge improvement on performance. What is crazy is that they made this before the hyper tech.
    Aero led to Jam then Pumpkin. :grooves:

I have not tried Aero yet, I almost think it won't run on my computer. I won't even be able to hear what I am doing without buffering.
    Will try.

7. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

Nope, was not even talking about posting direct links to Wares here please read the comments correctly.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  8. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

I can't Agree more! I just got it was not planning to at all but INDEED Aero sounds very realistic! I'm use to "print mixing" now because I was on Studio One before BUT IF anyone has a lot of CPU problems try REAPER! It paved the way for me I can use so many AA/Nebula plugins in a session now!

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Are you kidding me? You asked for a direct link to software at AZ which isn't freeware. That's a warez request! Usually I would've just removed your post, but since it may interest other members too, I wanted to make clear that you can't ask for this here.

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I've been learning and using the TIGER compressor a lot, I love any compressor plugin that can do it all, has a lot of compression character and stuff. It's why I love DMG TRACKCOMP, DMG COMPASSION, u-HE PRESSWORK, AOM NU COMP, PRO-C2 to name a few. You can just switch from one style to another quickly and sometimes it can give different type of compression on the fly so you can AB and make a decision after. It looks like I'm going to abandon TIGER soon looking at the new TBTECH Cenozoix going to be released by PA. That looks like a monster of a compressor in itself, I've just read the manual and figured it has a lot of options too to shape the compression. The difference TIGER has sampled curve but CENOZOIX is algo generated. Cant wait to see how good it is and hopefully good on CPU too.

Let's hope it didnt turn out to be another VOOSTEQ Material Comp. I don't really like that one for some reason, the Channel Strip was damn good though.

11. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

no, he meant a link for sister site
    you wrote "direct links to warez are not allowed here"
    and not requesting links for sister or other sites

(also thought that only links are forbidden here on AS)

but still, you are right because first rule:
    Linking to, requesting or trading Warez is strictly prohibited

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

AEROAMP + AEROSTOMP verdict...

Running here on HQ mode at 96K and it's just fine in my opinion. What sounds "real" is the cab section because it's roomier than the usual 3rd party IRs. Apart from that, I don't feel it's better than Tonex (or other AI models) with proper gain staging.

What I like though, is the EQ section of AEROSTOMP. Analyzing the defaults:

-American, there's a volume boost and a mid scoop.
    -German is a scoop and a high rolloff.
    -Italian is a bump in the low-end.

The Tone button increases the curves. Except with the Italian EQ where it does nothing at all (tested on VST2 only).

So anyway, I tried using that AEROSTOMP EQ section between a Tonex stomp instance and a Tonex amp instance. The scoop cleans up distortion/fuzz/od stomps in a nice way because most models are captured without proper EQing (in other words, you get the full range of whatever the settings were on that stomp when it was modeled, which usually needs to be altered to fit your amp/cab).

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Ok, I got it, but asking for a warez upload at AZ is still not ok here, or at least on the veeery edge.

14. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

So have you compared tiger with older counterparts yet..?(PINK , SAND, GOLD) if so how does the sonics compare in your opinion against TIGER..? ( can include Tiger Ultra as well if you have that one still)

15. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Only with SAND so far, but I didn't fully compare them with different setting or such, only have tried to use TIGER at the drum bus replacing other comp that suppose to be a G Bus style compressor. Ended up liking the SAND more. Must be the preamp. I like the PINK comp but I like other emulation of the 2500 better, PINK comp doesn't necessarily sound bad but it's too dense for my liking something. The settings on the TIGER didn't really give fully API vibe to me, am still figuring out. FIRE THE TIGER does it so much better but the lack of side-chain filters sometimes can be annoying when you need it, so I minimize the usage to just individual element of the track. It works just fine, so didn't really bother to put a full version of TIGER.

I don't really have time to fully compare everything just yet. Like a detailed proper compare, couldn't find the right time just yet. Just learning as I go, in the middle of the mix sometimes. I dont mix straight 2 hours or such, I do it 30 minutes, then chill, test plugin or some shit, experiment with reverb then continue. I figured I get better result like that because ears getting reset all the time.

will do a full comparison maybe later this week. I'm reading/learning about something else for now, so my focus is more on that topic.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. blaak

blaak Member

Ding ding ding

I agree. I've done some tests with Tiger and Frost. I could get Tiger in the ball park of what I was doing with Frost, but still couldn't match it exactly, with Tiger being a little bit more clean. Frost has a bit more perceived loudness, which is imperative on the mix I tested it on. That being said, I still could see it being useful on other mixes If I didn't have Compassion or C2. Presswerk is great too, but I don't use it for the master. Never heard of Nu comp, I'll have to look into that. As for the Unisum comment, I think it's great, it's just that Sidechain filter is kind of archaic compared to the graphical style of the aforementioned algo compressors I use on the master. Also it does that weird gain-staging frequency thing which kind of messes up its whole purpose. And thanks for clarifying that M toggle on TIGERMAST. These AA manuals are clearly the last thing they think about when putting out a product.

EDIT: Giving thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  17. blaak

blaak Member

Also sidenote, I know this is the WIN forum, I'm on mac (tri-booting hackintosh specifically), but I've been able to get every R2R AA release to work with no problem using R2R's WIN releases (downloading from Aquarius and switching out the files). But for some reason TIGERULTRA will not load (crashes instantly) no matter which update I use (A0002,A0004,A0005). Mind you, regular TIGER and EVERY other release works perfect, I haven't touched an AA mac release since R2R started this. And the regular trial works fine directly from Aquarius. Maybe there's someone else in here like me that has some insight or potential issues. Did anyone have issues with this?

18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

WOW!!.... Aero. What a train-wreck of a plugin that is. Who do they expect will be able to run it? On a 16 core Intel proc with 64Gb of ram I had to crank buffer up to 512 in order to get one instance of it to quit crapping all over itself in Reaper no less... absolutely ridiculous...

19. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

hahah yah.... its worth it if you can get it to run. incredible sound.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. toetea

toetea Kapellmeister

I do not have any measurable proof right now, but based off my observations R2R was right about their recommendation to use vst2 instead of vst3 which uses the JUCE wrapper. With most of the plugins you wouldn't notice a difference in performance, but I found that the vst3 loads its instance 5x slower compared to vst2 at times. I should have trusted the witches and went with their advice.

As for CPU usage the difference is very negligible, as far as I know, but there is a difference in loading times.

Proof: Just trust me, bro.

I did a bunch of projects with the vst3 plugins and I do not want to go back and redo settings on those without the preset menu, so I will just have to live with this mistake.

Do follow R2R recommendation, they have the best interests in mind for the user.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List