R2R 2023/2024 AA Guides, Bug Reports, Issues & Fixes Megathread (WIN)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

beats me. Didn't even expect it to be like that. TIGER is one that I've been waiting for and it didn't half disappoint. The good half being FIRE THE TIGER, for me atleast. The full TIGER plugin is okay but a little too clunky but tested on few stuff earlier, it performs really well but need more time to dial. I've been using the ARCTIC a lot lately, now it gets a new friend. The weird part about FIRE THE TIGER is it didnt even modeled the saturation/preamp section (checked on PD, just the usual 3rd order for all the modes) but compression sound almost 90% like the hardware styles it models. I think it's almost mandatory for everyone here to be able to tell the difference between a Neve, SSL and API compression character if they've been mixing for a while. It's not even subtle on FIRE THE TIGER, I bet anyone can tell. I'm surprised too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

Tiger is an excellent compressor. Its very capable of everything from slamming old breaks to subtly gluing an orchestral mix. Tons of options for tweakability, but i find it best to stay with the basic compressor settings. Occasionally tweaking the more advanced stuff. As Stevie Dude pointed out, Fire The Tiger is a great little addition to the suite. Very easy to quickly something in. I use Fire The Tiger when creating, and dont want to fuck with my flow, the full plugin comes out when im mixing and need more refined moves.

As far as older comp's from acustica being wonky, its true, but i still find some of them very useful. They can have an interesting sound, especially when abused, or used for sound design purposes.

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

From GS..

While him saying "downloaded" instead of "purchased" could be a classic Freudian slip, am still wondering what is the "Best Software Compressors" according to him. Some people guessed that it is the Massenburg MDWDRC-2 or Pulsar Abyss. Judging from the type of controls and how the plugins works, I think it's the DMG Audio Compassion. MDWDRC could still be it looking at how the plugin has dual compressors (Fast and Slow) to tune from although TIGER actually 6 compression paths working simultaneously under the hood. MDWDRC isn't focusing on the att/rell shapes and timing much but Compassion has basically everything that has to do with att/rel behavior which what TIGER focuses on according to G.

All 3 compressor plugins mentioned are expensive af, so he probably "downloaded" them.

Note : Just something I've learn from the DMG Compassion manual. Some of us still be wondering why most analog emulation compressor plugins has noise. The presence of noise (blended with the audio signal) in the detector path (or sidechain) of the compressor actually blurred the detection a bit and make the detection and compression not 100% accurate. So plugin dev added noise to mimic what really happens on the analogue counterpart of the plugin they are copying. You can try it out on DMG Compassion for fun, it has that feature.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I played around with Tiger for a while and my considerations are:

The idea behind the plugin is very cool. Not different than DMG's TrackComp or Tone Projects Unisum. A lot of different units at one plugin it's a very good concept because you don't need to be switching between various plugins when you got a Swiss Knife to do the job. That being said...
    The GUI on the TIGER plugin is terrible. At least the FLAT version exists but it doesnt look as intuitive as Midnight flat, for example. The original GUI is total chaos and zero chance i will be working on that.
    I wonder what they are taking in consideration besides the IR and the harmonics on each 'device'; a 1176 with 30ms Attack doesn't seem make sense as a 1.2 ms Attack on a Fairchild. At least the ratio controls change with the unity. But i still think it's weird, because some compressors emulated have a very sough after timing and curve and giving away this fact just makes TIGER a "frankenstein". There are people that like that, not my case. And don't expect to the 'units' to sound like what they are going for.
    TIGERMIX doesn't have ratio controls :trashing::deep_facepalm:

But i really liked FIRE THE TIGER. I will be using this one a lot on parallel compression, because it does have a ratio control and you can blend between compression, limiting and saturation. It's like ASH for parallel compression on my arsenal.

I will give more time (not a lot more) for this suite of plugins, but by now i thought it pretty 'meeh ':lmao: For the hype and by what youtubers said, i'm pretty disappointed with this one

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I'm probably one of the few here that didn't like this plugin. I think i'm doing something wrong, i want to cry

6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

It has it , but the Ratio is tied to the mode selected. For the type of comp that doesnt have ratio (MAGENTA, ULTRAMARINE) it will be disabled. The RATIO slider does nothing on FIRE THE TIGER for those modes too.

upload_2024-2-3_13-23-9.png

.. and then there's the "TIGER RA-1593" mode ratio selection...

upload_2024-2-3_13-27-37.png

math is hard :suicide:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

This guy used Tiger Ultra across all the elements on his mix and the showed us the bypass on/off to see the difference. I like what i'm hearing from Tiger Ultra, keen to try it out

@5:48:

As for Tiger non-Ultra, it's almost a hard pass from me based on the interface alone. Too convoluted. I need results quickly, don't wanna spend a long time trying to dial something in. But somebody tell me if i'd be making a mistake opting for Tiger Ultra over non-Ultra? Has anybody here compared the 2?

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Friendelek

Friendelek Producer

??? you mean Tiger Ultra ???

[​IMG]

9. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

theres a Fire the Tiger plugin thats part of the suite. Its a bare bones stripped down version of the plugin that allows you to load the various models / curves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

I like what Yish does. Very talented musician as well. Learned a lot from him:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

can't help but play the riff once everytime I hear that word.

I remember I was playing this song with a mate at 2am back when I live in a apartment long time ago, suddenly we heard someone knocking the door. Saw from the window, it was one of the neighbor. Feeling guilty for making loud noise (we'll it's a full drum set and electric guitar on half stack) so late at night we slowly open the door preparing for the consequences. Bro then casually ask :

"hey, you guys need a vocalist ?" handing over a six pack fresh from the freezer.

We gave him the full discography (atleast all that we can play :P) and he went home smiling that night. Forgot to even ask his name. :rofl:

Anyway, JAM finally here eh.

12. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

I have a issue to report about JAM. Everything works its just when I add a preset there is no audio for some reason and the Gain Reduction also seem to glitch out. Im on WIN 10 Reaper 44Khz

Attached Files:

13. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I didn't even noticed the presets. Yeah it's happening here as well at 48kHz. It looks like all the presets mute the plugin.

One more thing can you check TIGERMIX, selecting the "24 - MAGIC SOFT" mode also mute the plugin here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known Issues & Fixes (03/02/2024)

ISSUES

1. JAM [CONFIRMED] NEW
    - JAM & JAMFLAT
    a) selecting the preset mutes the plugin.

2. TIGER [CONFIRMED] NEW
    - TIGERMIX
    a) selecting compressor mode "24 - Magic Soft" mutes the plugin.

I compared them roughly on a loop, just playing around with the settings and compare them a bit earlier. They sound different. Must say I like the non-Ultra version sonic-wise. The non-Ultra version has different workflow altogether where the user can select between Slow and Fast response compressor which each has own Mix knob and Blend the balance of two of them together. A little bit complicated but it covers some area the Ultra version couldn't which adds more range to the type of compression it can do.

As example for those that want a compression style where it's either the FAST or SLOW compression is prioritizing the whole compression, while the Ultra can also do that with one simple slider "DETECTOR STRATEGY", the non-Ultra allows the user to have a little bit more controls over each of the compressor. They still share the attack, release time and behavior but you get to fine tune the Threshold, Mix and compression amount individually then adjust the Strategy amount & Blend after. Ultra mode simplify all that to just one slider.

Both of the SLOW & FAST compressors detection still depends on the amount of POWER that decides whether the detection for both comp is more towards the RMS or PEAK detection. The difference is the FAST compressor is a feedback design and the SLOW is feedforward design according to the circuit diagram in the manuals which means the SLOW compressor is always compressing more or less twice the amount of the FAST compressor on the same threshold level. Having a little more control over them individually can sometimes be useful but as Dan Worrall said "more controls does not equal more control".

Just side info for the FAST + SLOW compression which controlled by the "Detector Strategy" slider:
    upload_2024-2-3_21-56-46.png upload_2024-2-3_21-57-13.png

a) anyone familiar with the PA's AMEK MASTERING COMPRESSOR, the GML recreation, is the type of compressor where the SLOW compression dominating the whole gain reduction, the user however can adjust when the PEAK and FAST detection taking over if needed to manage fast transient.

b) the usual SSL G-Bus Compressor is the example of the opposite where the FAST compression is prioritized over the SLOW in a dual stage release.

c) then there's elysia ALPHA where is a lot like the GML (prioritizing SLOW) but has "Auto Fast" mode to make it react like the SSL to the occasional fast transient detected.

d) UNISUM tho, can do both and more to the smallest little details if you know what you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

I will have to report back on that I haven't got Tiger yet

15. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

Tiger seems nice at first glance but DOES ANYBODY UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THIS SUPPOSED TO MEAN? AM I TOO IGNORANT?
    upload_2024-2-3_17-5-53.png

16. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

sums up their whole marketing strategy. sounds like oxymoron to me. they are flexing on what every other compressor have, but unlike their competitor that thing has different meaning to them ? :rofl:

The offset could mean lookahead/lookbehind feature, idk just my guess or it can be phase shift on the envelope like the Hilbert type of detection that are hyped for being "true detection" by some. Dunno for sure.

17. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

I can confirm the same problem on my end 44kHz with TigerMix when selecting the "24 - MAGIC SOFT" mode there is no audio.

18. eli91

eli91 Ultrasonic

Also - I haven't properly tested it yet but, while I get the comparisons between TIGER ULTRA and DMG TrackComp or even Unisum, I'd say it's mostly similar to the Pro-C2. It offers way more control (an overwhelming amount of control) but the workflow seems to be the same, even the weird approach to the attack and release times.

So, I guess it's a great chance to finally delete those Camel and Nickel and Gold compressors, as I've never been able to get any decent sound out of them :')

19. rasape

rasape Noisemaker

JAM - JAMZL, no sound on presets, can anyone confirm this?

20. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

The problem with JAM has already been flagged