R2R 2023/2024 AA Guides, Bug Reports, Issues & Fixes Megathread (WIN)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Nov 29, 2023.

1. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

My conclusion as well. I work at 96kHz and all the Hyper plugins have a “hi-fi” cleaner sound character that is more akin to other algo plugins. Like you can clearly hear those little spiky harmonics. It doesn’t seem to add the same color and box tone. It’s hit or miss.

But then it depends on what you’re trying to do. For example I thinks it works for Ash/Ash Ultra because I want my clippers to be as clean as possible. While I don’t think it’s working well in most their comps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

So files are missing huh alright maybe we will see a repack

3. Lokster

Lokster Ultrasonic

I totally agree with this. Ash at least for me still has that sound while Ash Ultra does not it sounds cleaner and has algo plugin like sound. The only "Hyper" Compressor I have liked so far is Cola2Comp from Cola 2

4. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I dunno at this point. Looking at it with PDoc and turning knobs there "appears" to be something minute going on with the first 3 "modes" (i.e. "COMP" "BW1" and "BW2") of section "2" but its nothing that I can actually hear. I've listened even with reference cans in order to see what/how audio is being affected and find no appreciable signal changes. If it is actually doing something it must be too subtle for my ears at least.

5. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Not even downloaded Emerald because of the mentioned issues (and because i love the Lindell version of that unity). I'm wondering if R2R will provide a fix version or it's something "easier" with wrong strings at .XML file. Same with Frost, although i think with Frost the bug can be related to the dev, as it seems to be, so IDK if R2R has something to do about that.

6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I had a feeling that a lot of people love that thing too, and same with me it's almost impossible to describe what it is, but we all know it's there and have our own reason for liking that thing on the tracks.

I am still looking for the best way to work with Pumpkin, atleast something convincing for me but still half way there. I keep using it everyday just for some simple shine on keys, synths, trying out everything, every mode but can't get it to sound better than most of the saturation plugins I already like. Long way to go.

For the Hyper plugins, the clarity and Hi-Fi like sound could possibly comes from the transient enhancement/preservation algo coded into the engine. In Salt manual :

Code:
    We ensure that the transient, which is the most audible part of the IR (Impulse Response),
    remains completely identical to the FIR version, and the reconstruction of this IR through
    the IIR does not change in any way. Instead, we now add a part of the IR through IIR that
    was not handled correctly by the FIR approach.
    This improvement enhances the response at lower frequencies the result is a harmonious
    blend of the advantages of both methods, delivering superior audio quality across the
    frequency spectrum.

I agree it's a hit and miss, sometimes those thing is needed and sometimes I want the exact opposite of it but good thing is, being aware of what it does helps me making more informed decision.

If I'm understanding things correctly, all legit files (minus the XMLs) are all encrypted and R2R's version of everything are free from those encryption and all the bloatware is removed, meaning, the R2R's plugin doesn't have the decryption mechanism to be able to decrypt and access those legit files.

I can confirm that it smashing hard as how an SSL emu would, it's not subtle at all. I think it's just not working on the 96kHz. One last thing you could do to fully 100% confirm it is to delete, redownload and install it back. I had problem with EBONY before but reinstalling (well, just redownload and copy the folders back) seems to fix it. I assume the unzipping problems on the first installation of mine.

I think it could be solved by editing the XML but there are too many source files and for the MID freq around 1000 they are just named "MIDxxx_xxx" I got dizzy real quick and gave up. lol. I hope the guy that fixed the SNOW will show up again.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  7. Tropicale

Tropicale Member

I have NOT! lot of experience with newer plugins, but older AA plugins work best @96k and it's not unusual for the NON-hyper and older version of the same plugin to sound better than the hyper and newer one (of course, depending on how you decide the plugin to work for you).

Between Ash and Ash Ultra the difference might be even greater, since the latest one should be a fully algo product right? BTW depending on clipping shape, amount of clipping and material No OS might be the cleanest choice (example: Hard Clipping a Kick juuuust a little bit) so yes, still situation dependent

8. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

For real ? I haven't really checked the ASHULTRA, didn't know it's fully algo. I thought they are just the same with added "ULTRA" mode whatever that is. :rofl:

I like the ASH for the GUI and most of the time the default setting + AUTO + X4 works just fine for simple clipping job. I like the plugin so much I havent dig out what it is doing or anything technical about it for now. It works, sounds super good I wont even bother the ASHULTRA. Seems like I kinda need to learn them all soon.

9. Tropicale

Tropicale Member

I don't know, I just heard and red about it and that was my conclusion on why a different and totally new plugin was introduced.
    The classic Ash should (!!) already be an hybrid that combines the snapshots/IRs from the hardware units

AA GUIs are amazingly overdone, like the analog ones!!! uuuh lovely little piece of art. Why people asked for the Flat ones, they sound worse too :(

10. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

I don't even bother with that plugin, because for me it's totally nonsense. First, i need to learn how the sampled units will react, because they are different in a way that the combination can be a total disaster. I don't think the dual stage on this plugin makes sense because on the real world, no one would stack 2 hardware units in a row just as colorboxes. For me it sounds weird as putting a Black Box HG-2 after a Culture Vulture. C'mon, we are not baking all the time. And the plugin it's not preset friendly as well.

Tone Projects Kelvin is the same concept, but instead of units, they emulate components as transformers, op-amps, tubes, germanium, etc, and the emphasis/de-emphasis eq is very fast, as plenty of options, so a dual stage saturation makes much more sense because you're actually building a circuitry, not putting two circuits in sequence. The result is much more pleasant for the ears and easier to operate. Even the free gSat+ can sound better and more efficient.

If you want saturation from AA, wait for JAM. That thing is a beast. And much easier, less hungry and better sounding than Pumpkin. Pumpkin, by it's concept, i think it's a total mistake as piece of software.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Yeah, it's ridiculously designed the Pumpkin, got mad I cant get it to work so that's why im still not giving it up and trying everything slowly. Gotta agree, Black Box, Kelvins, Sa2rate2, The Oven and my personal fav for now, the LTL Silver Bullet from PA are all great plus some other plugins and Pumpkin gets nowhere near them for now.

Ah, JAM, TIGER and STRAW (want the Spectra Sonics comp) are some of the ones I'm still waiting for.

12. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

@Riddim Machine @Stevie Dude Pumpkin is less of a mix tool, and more of a sound design tool. At least thats how i look at it. The dual stage, push pull eq can result in some catastrophic crunch on drum breaks or heavy synth basses. Its my go to for that sort of stuff. Jam is the more subtle "traditional" saturator. Good for adding a few db perceived loudness, nice warm fullness etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. soldina

soldina Ultrasonic

According the Acustica Master List page, the Pumpkin Pro models were sourced from Jam and Ash.

After looking for info on what differed from all these plugins, I stumbled upon this on Gearspace. It was posted by the “G” guy himself:

Of course in true G fashion he had to use a hyperbole at the end.

Can’t wait for Jam to be released on Sister Site.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Anyway for no absolute reason, this is my go-to working for now settings for PUMPKIN PRO. If anyone want to test it out and see if it works and maybe share how it reacted to your mix. It's on the mixbus for a RnB mix im mixing right now. It's a slow 90bpm ish song. I adjusted it so it add some low-mid content to thicken the mix. Adjust the Input accordingly im at -14db cal volume.

upload_2024-1-9_10-25-22.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

15. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Yeap. I'll second that...

16. God's Most Favorite Bug

God's Most Favorite Bug Noisemaker

I would be shocked, though not surprised, if the flat version doesn't null with normal.

17. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

This came up in the Acustica FB group like 3 yrs ago, i'm pretty sure the alternate Magenta skins work for Magenta v4 and not v5. I could be wrong but i think that's what i remember people saying back then.

You could supply them to R2R...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. lun1

lun1 Newbie

OLIVEEXP oversampling seems not working, clicking on GUI does nothing (OLIVEEXPZL seems working instead)

19. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

better if you dont specify "no reply" :bow: no particular reason, just to say

20. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

First of I wanna apologize for disappearing lately, but got busy. Now I have read all what I missed of this thread

Also have to say that it's hard to follow all new plugins (AA and not...) to implement in my workflow, I am slower than you all gentlemen! lol
    I didnt test FROST and EMERALD, and after reading here I wont try them at all, sorry for that

I just wanna add something I have fixed in my AA-R2R trip

1. The AMETHYSTT "2500 bus" trick (courtesy @Riddim Machine ) is definitive
    2. I also have implemented in my workflow BLACK GURU, actually I am enjoying the "Binson mic pre", very good to add spice but without making sounds "too big". The Neve preamps instead make the sound HUGE lol so different
    black guru.png

3. another GAME CHANGER, actually: BROWN COMP. I am using it very often to glue instrumental busses, for example strings ensamble, guitars buss, heavy synth busses. Not planning to use it on drum buss and not yet tested on stereo buss, but could work on the last one. Here in the screenshot my settings. Nothing special, just brauerized with a 1k sine with 1dB of compression (for my gain stage...). I leave it on "COMP 2" which is the original Federal AM-864/U machine, the other 2 have controls on attack and release, could be handy on single tracks or mixbuss. The 3 pres give different flavours, will try the single modules soon because here they are very tasty. Lemme know what do you think about this hidden banger
    brown.png

4. my personal advice: DO NOT SLEEP ON THE LITTLE FIRE THE PUMP, it's giving me vibes, even if I didnt read many good opinions about it on sister site. Give it a deeper try and lemme know.

5. JADE 2 EQ: I am using the Air band only actually, banging it pretty much and feeding the preamp, sometimes taking advantage of the "spread knob" also, it's very pleasant (courtesy of sir @Stevie Dude )
    jade.png

Now I am gonna copy @Stevie Dude 's settings for the big pumpkin boy lol shameless as usual!
    Had some brief tests with it and didnt surprise me, but have it in my "recheck list"