R2R 2023/2024 AA Guides, Bug Reports, Issues & Fixes Megathread (WIN)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

How do you use Nebula4 with the R2R release? Here it won't work :(

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

I don't know if you'll find anything more than this bit https://www.tommybianchimastering.it/wsm.

I'm a fan of this phrase 'WSM Labs produces analog esoteric handmade hardware'. :woot:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I don't use Nebula for now but have tried most of the library on sister's site. For all its convolution based library, I hated the reverb the most for some reason but I'm a really big fan of convolution reverb tech itself. Bricasti's reverb for now I'm using the LS Reverberate3 factory library that comes with a BM7 lib. Tim P stuff I've tried them but dunno why I didnt really like them back then, couldn't vibe with it, haha. Got my AA account banned for trying those libraries back then and I never look at them ever until R2R released these Acquas.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

Just my opponion.
    When the translation is 44.1 and 96 only, i would not try to do a workaround.
    I think (and maby the ear does not register it) that when you have a track @ 48, and use AA plugin that supports 44.1,
    and you put some other plugins under the AA, maby it sounds ok, but o would not take the risk.
    There could be alot of things (like bit loss) that you do not hear at a second, but it will happen.
    It takes a firm analysis to be sure that the workaround is as clean as it is.

My suggestion is :
    Make the music as you want without AA, and then master it in Reaper.
    I heard Reaper handles AA Plugins verry good.

In other words...
    Use only WAV files or similar on these plugins with theyre suggested kHz.
    Other VST(i)'s may interact or do bad conversation with AA pligins at the same time.

5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I've posted about all those filters in the manuals. It's a Brickwall LPF. Still wondering what's the 17kHz LPF for the M settings which suppose to be for "modern mastering". Is this a normal practice that we don't know ? The problem is, it will introduce some sort of ringing with or without Linear Phase, but the plugin is minimum phase which will create artifact, dunno it's considered good or bad. Still waiting for someone with Mastering knowledge to explain it. It's the first time I'm heard about this, I know for Vinyl it is normal to do a LPF but didn't know it's straight Brickwall.

upload_2023-12-17_7-54-18.png

6. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Yep! Saw that one you quoted above and then just ran into a dead end... "esoteric" being the keyword there for "non-existent"? :trashing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

for now only Reaper does it best with complete null, it's like running the plugin @ 96kHz. For BC Patchwork and Metaplugin, it's impossible to get a null since the dual stages of filtering for the up/down sample (plugin --> DAW). It's a known thing for BC Patchwork users that used VST for Pro Tools and most of the people considered it safe because it's close to impossible to have the third party plugins and DAW to have same exact sample rate filtering code on the Nyquist. To get a complete null, the filter has to be identical code to code or built-in inside the DAW like Reaper so it will only filter once.

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Exactly that's the question - and I'm afraid it remains unanswered.

9. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Sorry, I use Nebula only for non-AA addons. I use R2R, which makes it all much simpler...the colors are met hahaha:)

10. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

Yeah, tested AA plugins with nebula, and for efficiency, AA wins. Again, thanks for making this effort. People should props you, but I read some hate..the typical karen ego folk....ps. I'll keep TP Vari-level in the toolbox:)

11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Actually, I thought of them as Bandpass since basically these filters are isolating the hear-able audio spectrum of humans...
    With the filter settings illustrated here (except for the cutting filter setting)...
    Filter setting.JPG

There are the resulting real world curves for the "V" and "M" settings.. The V2, V3 & M2 and M3 setting are pretty close to identical to the "1" settings.

M1
    M1.JPG

V1
    V1.JPG

When applying these to actual program material I did not notice any anomalous artifacts. Seems these filters would eliminate any form of digital harmonics that were occurring outside the range of human hearing.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. Zoundzy

Zoundzy Kapellmeister

We're splitting hears:)...Most plugins work (Patched), perfectly.

13. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

Wow, finally i made N4 work here!

My step-to-step to install N4 using R2R Aquarius Framework with the "lazy" Install:

The N4 version from the sister site has an updated installing guide which mentions to be optional to put N4 files on System32 (thanx PiRAT). So i didn't put this time, because R2R Framework was already on System32 and on the previous install guide tells you to transfer the engines to System32, which i did on the past, without replacing the R2R files. Maybe the conflict started there. So:

- I created nebula4temprepository folder on the disk
    - run the reg file
    -put the VST2* file on the plugin search folder.

*on the first install i was using vst3, which can also be a part of the problem. R2R recommends to use VST2 files with cracked acustica because of the wrapper engine.

Now N4 is running flawless and recalling presets like any other Acqua.

@Stevie Dude let's wait someone that is having problems with N4 and R2R Framework appears and test it. If works, you could fix as a solution, because a lot of people seems to love Nebula

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Ideally yes but look at the phase, especially on the high end, that's a phase distortion that will delay and distort the high end signal eventually causes smearing among other things. It affect up to 10kHz frequency range. Linear Phase EQ was used on mastering to avoid these things to begin with :

upload_2023-12-17_8-41-55.png
    The idea is better on the analog domain, where the signal still has got to go through the converter that will clear most of them but in digital domain, this is a disaster for how it combines with the anti-aliasing filters that more or less doing another Brickwall filtering. Atleast for now, that's how it looks to me.

This is the phase response when I recreated it using Pro-Q3 on Natural Phase Mode. Pro-Q3 doesn't have anti-aliasing filter.
    upload_2023-12-17_8-37-37.png

On Pro-Q3 with the LPF alone (no HPF) the Delta signal is almost full frequency range, with the low-end affected the most.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  15. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Yeahp.. That's definitely messed up phase-wise.. Wonder if that's a result of poor sampling or something to do with plugin the coding?

16. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Wow, what a thoughtful and generous post. This one never interested me until now but your write up has really piqued my curiosity. Cheers!

17. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I truly don't know for sure. The stupider part about it, it makes things sounds better in a way because the distortion it introduced. Free saturation if you will.:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Riddim Machine

Riddim Machine Rock Star

That's what my preaching is about, you're finally discovering the pleasure of phase distortion. Once you discover it there's no comeback, and the worst about it: no one i know can explain why this kind of shit makes the sound "better". Because it looks stupid.
    :sad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

That cannot be ruled out. But esoteric means something different, so I suspect it's a one-off or a device with a very small production run.

20. patatern

patatern Platinum Record

I confess that I havent studied WHITE and its manuals yet, just had a brief look/hear to the plugins, but I follow the thread and I wanna add something about...another plugin lol the UAD Hitsville EQ mastering version, which I pretty much know, and post here the "vinyl filters"

I dont know if I have to add something to the images, I dont know if its useful but...here we go

Hitsville EQ flat
    hitsville flat.png

Hitsville EQ with "vinyl filters" engaged
    hitsville band pass filters.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List