Quiet Fans for Music PC

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Valnar, Sep 26, 2021.

1. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

It's not an AMD motherboard, man. @dondada gave you a link to ASROCK - a motherboard manufacturer that make them for Intel or AMD processors (like ASUS or GIGABYTE etc.)

I built two PCs this year, a 5900x and a 5950x based one (both with nvidia 30xx series graphic cards). I have yet to encounter an issue with ANY software. They are beasts and that Intel's "single core" performance advantage is BS IMO..
    I'm not saying Intel is bad or something. Frankly, I don't know. I had only Intels before and this was quite a switch.. didn't even like all the hype that happened around AMDs just after I fortunately already got mine (not to mention nvidia GPUs).

It doesen't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe you should choose Intel for your audio interface compatibility. I use RMEs.

I've built PCs every 5 or more years, so I am not that experienced, but not totally clueless when it comes to it. I have done quite some research to which CPU + mobo + ram + storage + PSU +.. combo plays well together though. I've chosen cases that are beginner-friendly (also based on my AIOs). Admit, was nervous af ;)

Based on what you wrote above, I think I can answer this Q of yours:
    The best possible answer is this:
    It was the worst year to put PCs together for not-so-experienced. I took a bit of risk but also took the time to think things over.

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

if you want quiet PC, then get biggest most efficient tower CPU cooler you can find and fit in case (most likely Noctua NH-U14S or so) which can cool the CPU on its own, so you may not even need any other case fans,
    depending on how high temps you like to see, only then consider getting whatever biggest most efficient PWM intake fan which fits your case, and maybe one other as exhaust, that'll be more than enough - more fans will just make more noise at no noticeable cooling benefit
    :chilling:

3. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I recommend any fans by Noctua. Have 2 of them in my system and in idle or while making music, I hear nothing.
    Only while gaming or under high CPU usage they turn up a bit but it's still quite low compared to other fan manufacturers.
    For most consistant cooling I suggest you to watercool your stuff. When I do some internet stuff or coding, the fans don't even
    need to spin because the water on its own cools everything quite well. They only spin permanently because I set it up in the bios.

4. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Let me guess, it's probably out of my budget?

Super interesting. I thought Watercooling on a PC... just sounds like a mess, but apparently it doesn't.

Do you think that they offer some kind of warranty if they fuck it up and break a component?

I heard that there are issues with UAD TB Interfaces and AMD Chips.

Well, I mostly care about what the fans do when I'm running a huge project.
    In the pcpartpicker lists they have listed CPU cooling fans as well ( I guess your machine just burns down without one), but the fans that come with the Case are probably the ones you said I don't need, right?

5. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

If budget wouldn't be an issue, you also could watercool your system completely silent with an external rack of radiators
    and set the fans to only spin at 50 degress C and up... or you create a big box with acoustic foam where you can put your PC in:lmao:

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Yes of course there is a guarantee. If you discover a mistake, the dealer has to correct it.

7. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Define R6 case and Noctua DH-15 fan is what I went with for a quiet build.
    DH-15 has been great for my AMD 16-core.

8. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

That used to be the case. The new ones are completely closed systems right from the box. They don't need maintenance and come with 5-10 year guarantees. Meaning the expected life span is really long. Still they come with radiator blocks you need to make sure the case has space for. Arctic freezer and Be Quiet! are good brands.

One of the systems you linked (the one that I said was pretty good) had a liquid CPU cooler.

However something like the traditional Be Quiet Shadow Rock 3 cooler (got one few months ago, very pleased with it) is very effective and quiet too. It's a big boy though and not every case has enough space for such a humongous tower cooler.

Also: ALARM! I recommended the Pure Base 500 case earlier instead of the case that was in the build, saying it was the quietest case money can buy. I made a mistake. I meant the Pure Base 600. I looked into the case options few months ago, including the Pure Base 600, felt confident my memory was fresh and did not check before posting.

This is what I wrote:
    I ended up going with a Fractal Design Define R series case since it they surely had enough room for the cooler I wanted and and have a front "door" you can open for more airflow if needed for gaming etc. Also because they look pretty good.

Here's a review of the Pure Base 600:

It is a few years old but I believe it is still undefeated in the Gamers Nexus noise charts.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  9. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Fans nowadays are really quiet. Get a brand fan, slow and big. That's all you have to look for.
    The only thing I can hear in my pc is the graphic card fans. If the card gets used.
    And I have 6 case fans and a double CPU fan. They move slow and there is no audible fan noise.

10. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Google fanless pc