Quick Tip - cleanup duplicates from "Open With" file menu

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Jan 9, 2021.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

this is more of a reminder for myself, in case I'd need it again, but I thought it could be really helpful to us all Mac folks here,

Remove Duplicate Apps in macOS Right Click “Open With” Menu
    type this in Terminal and let it run (may take more than few minutes if you have tons of applications and programs):

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

After that, relaunch Finder by holding down the Alt key and right clicking the Finder icon in the Dock, then click Relaunch.

PS: MacOS will most likely be tripping for few hours or days trying to restore things back, but believe me it's worth it, especially if you're migrating OSes/drives and testing various programs
    :chilling:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List