Questions & Answers For Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Mr_Amine, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Mr Amine - thanks for this FAQ.

I refer to the CK'ed V1 & V2 versions:

The promo say "everything from V1 is included in V2 but then it says "V2 contents merge with the V1 library, to replace V1... ".
    But the minimum requirements do not say V1 is required.

So - Is the CK'ed V2 version an upgrade or a separate full install?
    - Does V1 (CK'ed) need to be already installed, for the V2 (CK'ed) to be 'merged' with?

2. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

On my side, i prefer to use separate synths.
    Kontakt for symphonic work (Symphobia and such), world (Ethno World..), Pan Drum, System 1000...
    Spire,Serum,Dune and such for "regular" synthesis

Too many patches in Omnisphere, even with tags and classification...there are too much things on one side, and less on the other (ex : you need Trilian for bass, and not so convinced by EDM, because i'm more industrial/drum n bass :bleh: )

To me, Omnisphere is in a kind of modern plugin workstation spirit : do a LOT, but i don't find a special thing to most patches.And so, i can search for hours finding THE patch i need. And don't tell me a synth with 60+GB and 12,000+ patches is not made for that :bleh:

To make it short : i tried V1 and was bored. I prefer some fine tuned pure Kontakt libs for raw sounds, and "dumb" synths for the rest.
    Omnisphere is definetly not for me. If i started to learn it, i would barely understand it...and need to learn again new features.

I think it is, once again, a synth with so much possibilities most ppl just scratch 10%. Too much features, patches, sample content... kill my workflow. I try to stay minimal, and it is difficult enough :wink:

On the other side, i totally understand why other ppl love it :mates:

3. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I have a question...or comment. Either way, I need some feedback in relation to authorization.

4. Bassmonsta

Bassmonsta Ultrasonic

I'm installing now.....for the 2nd time...got to disk 6 before and I got some crappy message about not enough disk space on my external. Which is strange because I have over a terabyte free :rofl:
    Anyone encounter this so far?
    Im seeming to think that my download of disk 6 got corrupted. As I was having a mare extracting it.

5. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

to avoid problems during installation
    try to install it on internal drive instead of external drive
    then copy the folder to external drive that will be the best option

6. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

I'm unable to patch the plugs prior to authorizing on Mac

Edit: Problem un-problemed.

7. Bassmonsta

Bassmonsta Ultrasonic

Cant install this. Tried 3 or 4 times now. Every time I get to disk 6 it crashes.....I had loads of trouble extracting disk 6. I did everything that the forum suggested when renaming the parts... It wouldn't extract correctly. I trIed Keka and many others, most would not work but Keka did manage to give me a zip file which I could unrar to a disk image that is 6.29.
    The disk image is not mountable so I used Toast to create a disk image that was mountable.
    Can anybody help me please?

8. willdathrill

willdathrill Producer

wow, im scared to dwnload any dvds except dvd1... i keep seeing all these issuse, and dont know which one(DVD) to dwnload from?
    all i know is dvd1 is good :rofl:

9. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I kind of agree with you.
    Also, after reading all these comments, I can't prevent myself to see this thing as a ROMpler on steroids.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

there we are different, i used/use omnisphere for choirs and for basic strings, also those bell sounds and bass sound are awsome.

i rather delete some kontakt lib shits, because they are harder to work with in my opinion. saves me storage and time.
    the new granular engine in omnisphere 2 is just marvelous and this replaces alchemy for me(fuck you apple ...)

still keep all the synths i have, because synths and kontakt are still better for drone as anything else.
    so in fact i saved with this way 40GB of harddisc space.

honestly i am bored with all that edm soundsets, i bother even checking and downloading them - this sir you can call boring, but definitely not omnisphere, because they have lots of creative presets in this thing.

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

>Too many patches in Omnisphere,

Who needs patches ...

Delete them all and start creating your own :P

12. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

What compressor can I use after EQ?
    Other thing: maybe you can use fart sound for sidechain trigger :rofl:

13. MozartEstLa

My answer is :wink: :wink: :wink: Fortunately, few sound designers like Rob Lee or Aiyn Zahev make presets (for many synth) like lush pads... other than sh***y EDM noises (for me they're noises, not sounds, okay I'm 51 years old - Pink Floyd/Yes/Genesis/Supertramp/TD generation) :rofl:

They're nice things in both Omnisphere (now Omnisphere 2) and Kontakt. For acoustic piano, I love The Hammersmith Pro (I love Soniccouture libraries). For electric guitars: AmpleSound is the Number #1 (IMO). For lush pads ME80 v2.1 synth (Memory Moon)... Any VSTi have pros and cons, anyway. I've read somewhere (I don't remember where) Omnisphere 2 can't do "round-robin" and don't support velocity layers like Kontakt (and serious samplers). Omnisphere is a synth, not a sampler.

14. MozartEstLa

Trilian and Omnisphere (1 or 2) share the STEAM folder (as base, or common folder), but each product have it's own subfolder (STEAM\Omnisphere and STEAM\Trilian). However, after Trilian installation, simply use installer from "Step 3" (or manually copy STEAM folder to right place eg C:\ProgramData\Spectrasonics, it works).

To authorize Trilian, you must use the "old" AiR KG (R2R patcher/KG is only for Omnisphere 2).

The KGs simply authorize the related plugin(s), not the content library, anyway (I mean the library isn't encrypted and the KG doesn't modify the library content).

15. MozartEstLa

Don't panic, willdathrill *no* D2 to D8 also are good, the only problem concerns DVD6 posted on "sister site".

If downloaded from sister site (from ul - can't tell more to respect the rules), be careful about DVD6, they're three parts badly named (with underscore characters instead of space, why? I don't know, but sure it's messy). For DVD6, rename all three files prior to uncompress:

Spectrasonics_Omnisphere_2_-_Disc_F.iso.zip.003 ==> rename it to Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 - Disc F.iso.zip.003 (underscores are replaced by spaces)
    Spectrasonics_Omnisphere_2_-_Disc_F.iso.zip.005 ==> rename it to Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 - Disc F.iso.zip.005
    Spectrasonics_Omnisphere_2_-_Disc_F.iso.zip.009 ==> rename it to Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 - Disc F.iso.zip.009

And finally, on Windows, use 7-Zip (not WinRAR) to uncompress.

Work like a charm for me, really.

16. mrfloyd

mrfloyd Producer

Except for the Spotlite EDM bank which exists separately how does one find the new Omnisphere2 presets among old ones?

17. EternalNow

EternalNow Newbie

1. If a CD/DVD (iso) is not mountable than it´s is normally corrupt.

2. No need to install the content on Windows (7) machines, it is exactly the same as with Omnisphere 1 (last revision of the dll was 1.58d):
    a. you copy every STEAM-folder manually from every DVD (iso) to your fav. destination.
    b. you install the sourcefiles (dll => most would/will need the 64 bit version only) anywhere you want.
    c. in Windows one additional "thing" is needed: a link in "C:\ProgramData\Spectrasonics" where you have to place a "STEAM.lnk" to the exact path of your respective STEAM-folder (you can change the path manually however you what if you move your STEAM-folder).

FACT 1: An installation of the content is absolutely not needed for the content; if the sourcefiles would be available as DLLs an installation wouldn´t be essential either. As I said: Everything omnisphere.dll needs to know is where the STEAM-folder is; this is done by placing a link to the path and in the folder I mentioned above.

FACT 2: You can not run Omni 1 and 2 in parallel mode because they share the same STEAM-link-convention. But you can copy the content of Omnisphere 2 into a different folder a let your Omnisphere 1 content untouched. Depending on what you want to use, you simply change the STEAM-link ("C:\ProgramData\Spectrasonics\STEAM.lnk" => STEAM.lnk has to point to the actual STEAM-folder) and make the unwanted dll (Omnisphere 1.58d or Omnisphere 2.03d) inactive (by renaming it to e.g. "Omnisphere.dll.inactive").

FACT 3: The original DLLs are extremely big (80 MB in case of 1.58d and 120 MB in case of 2.03d), but only because Spectrasonics uses ultra-big PNG-graphics which are NOT NEEDED! I am able to resize the DLLs to around 23 MB (1.58d) and 40 MB (2.03d) without touching the code of the DLLs by using Photoshop´s automation function, simply by opening all PNGs (555 in case of 1.58d, 726 in case of 2.03d) and resaving them with the standard Photoshop-PNG-format (nothing is tweaked or changed). The result is: you have an Omnisphere.dll with around 33 % of its original size, only by "reducing" the PNG-size using the Photoshop (CC) standard-PNG-format (I cannot find any difference in the quality of the resaved grafics - NONE!). Of course you use a programm like RESTORATOR 2007 to exract and re-assign the PNGs to the DLL(s).

If there is any interest, I will share the smaller DLLs (1.58d and 2.03d) on AUDIOZ. As I said: Nothing changes in the sourcecode, but you have a significantly smaller DLL! If you are using separate instances of Omnisphere and have e.g. 10 or more, well you know what the result is:

a. In case of Omnisphere 1.58d: 10 instances x 80 MB = 800 MB of RAM <=> 10 x 23 MB = 230 MB of RAM
    b. In case of Omnisphere 2.03d: 10 instances x 120 MB = 1200 MB of RAM <=> 10 x 40 MB = 400 MB of RAM

I always use saparate instances to have better general control over my tracks and the freeze-function etc.

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

:woot::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

It's called "Filtering!"..........Plus Omnisphere 2 does include Round-Robin but it must be activation in Settings!