Questions about Windows Check Disk and External HD

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by tek909, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tek909

tek909 Member

Hello,
    Recently, I bought a brand new Toshiba Canvio Desk 5 TB usb 3.0 hard drive. On this hard drive since, I've only been using it for storing my sample library. All was working fine, until a few days ago when I tried copying a file to it and ended up watching the copy time go from 60 seconds then jump to 1 day in time while then it just froze up. After a few more failed attempts, I then ran defragmention and the check disk utility. Now I've since already selected "Automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt to fix bad sectors". Has anyone had any experience in this area before? It's been now almost 24 hours and still running.... Should I just let it continue and run its cause? Or, Should I cancel out and run one of Toshiba's disk utility? What risk do do I take by prematurely stopping this procedure?

By the way it has already processed almost 6,000,000 clusters free. Any light on what this really means would be awesome and thanks again!

Also my motherboard didn't originally support USB 3.0 so I added on a PCI expansion card. And another problem I also just started having with with the drive was that it work fine and read it and then it would appear to just go blank and read that no data was available??? Just like the drive went to sleep and disconnected it self, or like it shorted out....???? Anyhow, Like I posted before it has still been running theses tests with no problems no shorting out or anything else for close to 24hrs now, so this behavior it been having has been very strange.

-----Also I am able to copy the files to another drive with no problems. But, I am still unable to copy to the problematic device. Anyways, in the meantime I am just backing up my files. This Drive did come with a 3 year warranty so if anything happens again the manufacturer should replace it. Maybe the file system files got corrupted from a recent power outage.

I am using Windows 7 as my OS.

Thanks for your time and help

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

What version of Windows are you running?
    In Win7, Win8 and 8.1 I had buffer underrun problems with default Windows Explorer file copy/move tool. Exactly as you described, it just stopped.
    Before digging HDD related problems and possible warranty operations, try copying with FastCopy. Check Verify and Estimate and run on Full Speed.
    :thumbsup:

I've ditched Explorer file copy/move way back in 2011 and so far enjoy FC. :wink:

Or more likely it might be PSU-related problem. Have you tried changing it?

4. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

it sounds like pretty common symptoms for a faulty HDD.

However, you need to start with process of elimination.

Try by passing the USB 3.0 PCIE card (as it might be the problem), by testing the HDD on the motherboards native USB 2.0 ports. If you are still experiencing the same symptoms then its not looking good.

Secondly, testing a new USB 3.0 External Enclosure or Docking Bay would be worth while aswell, although inconvenient to waste money as such, but these are the things that have to be done unfortunately.

The check disk utility does take a very long time on all drives except for SSDs. As your HDD is such a large capacity, is mechanical, connected via USB & depending on the amount of data on the drive are some of the things that dictate check disk test lengths , I wouldn't be surprised if it takes over 24hours to check the drive 100%.

Stopping the test prematurely shouldn't have any bad side effects, as long you don't have a power outage or something.

5. tek909

tek909 Member

OK.
    after testing the hard drive on my desktop and laptop systems
    the drive completed both disk error checks error free.
    And,
    No, I don't have another PSU unit to try out.

6. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

You need to do the other tests before check disk really, its not a miracle utility, all check disk does is check for bad clusters & file system integrity, which is not related to the issues & symptoms that you are experiencing, usually the worst case scenario is your left with a corrupt file & a couple bad clusters on the drive, but at this point your just wanting to find out if the drive is working as normal with read & write & seek times, & functioning as expected when copying data too & from the drive.

Also there was no need to perform a check disk on both your desktop & laptop, thats just a waste of time.