Questions about selling bundled plugins using iLok

Discussion in 'Software' started by Justin-Cydeher, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Justin-Cydeher

Justin-Cydeher Kapellmeister

So if I sold someone a plugin that came bundled with my interface, (registered or not) can I have the license revoked if the buyer changed their minds and demands a paypal refund?

Im asking because someone responded to another question I had about buying bundled plugins and the response was that once its registered its not linked to the hardware making it yours.

3. Polomo

Polomo Guest

First, different country, different law.
    In most cases you don't own software really, you only license it, and with this comes a problem. You're in the hand of the company you're trying to sell your software. If they say nope, only bundle licenses are ok, you have an issue. ( "hidden flaws" are a totally legal reason to revoke a buy, he can't use it legally would be 99% hidden flaws in a court )

So the question is heavy depending on the Eula, AGB, GTC... Conditions of the software)

Step 1 For you read the conditions of the sold software. If there is anything about bundled software, the buyer can totally legal revoke his buy.
    If there isn't anything about it in the conditions , you sold your software legally and there is no reason to revoke a legal buy from that point of view. (But depending on your ad, and country law there could be another point for the buyer, that he has a right to revoke a sell within 14 days after a buy specially if you don't have your own clear conditions in your ad.)

If it was an expensive one, please consult a law expert.

4. Talula

Talula Rock Star

Firstly, almost all software bundled with any equipment cannot be distributed free of charge or sold separately. this information is in the license / user agreement that the purchaser of the equipment accepts at the time of the first use of the equipment, regardless of whether he installed the software or not. by transferring such software to any other person, the buyer violates the terms of the agreement, which gives the equipment manufacturer the right to unilaterally invalidate this agreement at any time and deprive the buyer of the rights to any use of the software. however, PayPal will refund the money to the person to whom the software was illegally sold.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Justin-Cydeher

K so
    Plugin Alliance Bundle (BX Focusrite, Maag eq etc): Part of Presonus Bundle
    Relab Lexicon480L: Part of Focusrite IO Bundle
    Are all illegal to sell under EU Law and or USA?
    What about the iLok fee or if the software was never registered?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  6. Talula

Talula Rock Star

Снимок экрана 2022-01-24 в 17.19.49.png

not for resale. no comments.

it was quick because I was in my presonus account right now :hillbilly:

7. Talula

Talula Rock Star

Relab introduced a new scheme for registration a few months ago: they no longer provide a code to obtain a license in the iLok License Manager, now you need to enter your iLok login and they will send the license themselves. This means that only license transfer is possible. If I'm not mistaken, Relab software licenses are sent only after their approval, and Relab is unlikely to approve the transfer of a license received for free under a promotion.

8. Justin-Cydeher

Editing my previous post about a softube chat with them, I just chatted with Focusrite and they said it goes against our policy to sell plugins bundled with their hardware, and they cant assist if the software does not work in the future, example, if someone purchased the hardware verified it to reregister the software again.

but in the end the helpdesk said: I wouldnt worry about your code as it has now been used so we can't revoke it as it is a 3rd party code

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022