Questions about hardware and passive monitors

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Kuuhaku, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

So, Im thinking about buying a audio interface and I already found one that fits my pocket, that is Scarlett Solo from Focusrite, but here I was thinking about the benefits;

I dont record vocals so I will not use it for connecting a mic in there, the only reason is for audio processing, my pc says that its 24bits 48khz but I dont trust it for real, Im not sure if its gonna really make any quality of my setup better because I dont use it for recording, only for mixing, so Im buying it only for the audio quality output benefit (does it makes any sense?)

Also, I have a pair of passive speakers that I use with an really old but powerfull amp: Philco Hitachi PSR-60, that I am really satisfied with the sound that it provides to me but I have some questions:

Because its an amp/receiver from early 2000's I'm not sure if it would make sense to use it with an interface, I plug my monitors in directly with the positive/negative wires and the ouput is RCA red / white, I use a RCA to P2 cable to plug it on my computer... So the question is: Should I first upgrade the amp and if so what amp should I get? or should I buy a interface? or both? Im pretty lost

Also, I'm not thinking about changing my monitors because they sound really good, pretty flat response, idk if the amplifier/receiver affects the sound of em (I dont even know if theres a difference from amps to receivers, sorry).

I tried to draw the scheme bellow:

upload_2021-1-6_17-18-39.png

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  3. recycle

recycle Guest

If you are satisfied with the sound of your setup (that's what you say), don't change anything at all

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Ohh, thanks :) So theres no problem into having this kind of cable? it will still work as intended with an audio interface?

5. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

I mean, I dont know if using an audio interface with cables that are other than XLR or P10/P2 will work as it should ( as my cable that connects the PC to the amplifier is an RCA to P2, not a "normal" p2), my main concern is if it make sense to buy an audio interface to use with that setup

6. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

and also, do I lose something from not using XLR cables?

7. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Of course it does.
    Same wiring you mentioned, and the interface will go into an aux of your amp.
    For what, exactly?
    If you mean you want a balanced connection from the interface to the amp, then most budget interfaces have balanced jack outs (balanced have two rings, look like stereo cables but wired differently), or balanced phono (rca) outs, and the higher end interfaces may also have balanced xlr out.
    But then you would still need that xlr to go to phono for your amp, so forget about that!
    OR, are you referring to xlr cables from the speakers?

To be honest, as long as it's coming out of your computer and interface at 24 bits, and then it's going into something analogue (your amp), it doesn't matter hugely if you don't use balanced connectors.
    Because the difference between a mini-jack out and a 24 Bit A/D-D/A converter is like night and day anyway!

8. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Oooh, thanks buddy, I was having pretty confuse toughts about this, s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶m̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶(̶p̶l̶u̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶j̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶p̶u̶t̶)̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶l̶u̶g̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶a̶m̶p̶?̶
    Just realized that this was a dumb question, thank buddy

9. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

From the interface to the amp and my monitors to my amp

10. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

wait so isnt it a huge difference?

11. Smoove Grooves

Yes. Night and day = HUGE difference.
    You do not want to be using a mini jack for anything! Please!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. pon_pon

pon_pon Ultrasonic

Size of room?
    wall treatment?

Think in this: for listen a entire wave correctly at 20Hz -subs- (wave lenght) you need a 11 meters room.
    If only 3 meters room, and no very good subs traps, you only listen reflections, vibrations, mud . . .
    Put a big quality monitors in a no big quality room is a nonsense.
    Square rooms are not good for profesional mixing...

maybe the first inversion will be the walls . . .

13. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

about 25 years ago, i was in a band and we were setting up a practice room in an addition on my house. i had an old 100 watts/channel yamaha receiver (a top of the line in it's day) that i was going to use for my keyboards. but i was told that home stereo amps could not handle the transients of live instruments and that's the only input that i have for you. you could end up blowing out the amp, or it simply might not give you very good quality audio if it distorts on the transients.

14. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Oh!! I think I get it, so If I understood youre saying that connecting my amp direct to my pc (mini jack) and connecting it to the interface is a huge difference, right?

15. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

oh, its a 100w rms by channel amp, I use it arround 15% because if I turn it more than 30% it turns loud as hell, I never even tried to go above 50%, feel like it gonna blow up my ears

16. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

yeah, Im thinking about it, my room is pretty small though, its an L room and Im pretending to shape it as a normal retangle room and then get it all placed with acoustic foam, but for now I am already used to the ressonances in B and C, I know its not good to have them but soon Im doing this upgrade. For now I'm looking for a interface because manny people told me that it would make everything better

17. Smoove Grooves

Maybe all that is true, but still, nah!
    Back in 2003 me and a friend had a G3 Mac coming out of just the minijack and going to an absolute pile of poo Aiwa 'Hifi'!
    It was an all-in-one. Not even a nice seperate amp like Kuuhaku has!
    We got into the top 20 with those tracks! haha.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Same haha, I only think this amp + monitors setup are good because of the numbers I made out of some tracks that I made on em
    I wonder if someone more experienced could give me a feedback about this beat/mix also: Puxa Penas · Chaoss (spotify.com), never had a feedback from more experienced producers before

19. Smoove Grooves

And we had a £10 Woolworth's mic! hahaha
    The only thing that may not be so good with home hi-fi amps is that they will be slightly coloured I.E. not the flattest response compared to a standard power amp.
    So I would just have all EQ on the amp flat/12 o'clock, and make sure that any Loudness button is OFF!
    And just listen to commercial tracks to get used to what to expect from your setup.

Will listen to track in a bit.
    I'm supposed to be doing something else right now. Argh. I always am!

20. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I miss the pick and mix

21. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

YAAAAAAAAAY, Lol I feel like I know exactly what you felt with this, I was using the BM-800 for manny songs, also my amp still has it loudness button that idk why make the bass freakin heavier!!
    Everytime when I change something I listen to some albums that Im pretty much used to and I feel like it callibrate my ears to the frequencies pretty much
    Also pretty cool to know that the amp itself can change the sound, this is so usefull for me