Questions about combining two Kontakt libraries with NICNT files

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by El Duderino, Apr 27, 2024.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino Newbie

As the topic suggest I am wondering how to go about combining two or more separate Kontakt libraries into one Folder on my hard drive and making a "Master Library" out of several libraries or separate one licensed library into multiple libraries as it might consist of multiple instrument categories.

I can't see any issues with doing this for unlicensed libraries without NICNT files as long as I separate the samples and resources into individual folders and link the NKI files to those individual folders in case there are samples that are named exactly the same in two libraries and the NKI's confuse what samples to use. (Not sure if the NKI files actually look at file size and the actual content of samples or just the name of them.)

However, when it comes to licensed libraries with NICNT files, it becomes a bit more complicated since I haven't figured out exactly how they work and interact with NKI files, resources and Kontakt itself.

Could I, as an example, use the NICNT for the separate libraries just to register them and then remove the NICNT from the folder (and zip them up for safekeeping somewhere else, or just store a backup of the whole original library) and create my own "Master NICNT" file for the "Master Library" I want to create? Then remove the separate library tabs in the side bar of Kontakt and just access those libraries through my "Master Library"?

Or should I put the original NICNT files inside the Instruments- or Samples-folder (or any other folder for that matter) if the NICNT file is used to maintain links between the NKI,NKA, snapshots and perhaps other resource files?

Does anyone know how this work?

I see a lot of wallpapers for "Master Libraries" or "Collections" and I'm curious about how people actually use them? Just as empty "headers" or do they just put all related libraries "as is" into those "Master Folders" and just scroll through several sub directories just to get to the instruments? But then you wouldn't be able to divide libraries that contain several categories and instruments. Or do the just make a copy of the whole instrument folder and put that into the "Master" and do a "batch re-save" linking them to the original library? But that might causes it's own issues as the NKI folder and the samples and resources are separated and the links between them are relative.

I want to build more of a physical "Quick Load" structured library on my hard drive and then use NICNT files to create my Side Bar with master libraries in Kontakt so I can get a better overview and increase efficiency and workflow.

3. Blacklight District

Blacklight District Kapellmeister

I was curious about this as well. I've been putting off any attempts at doing something similar due to the confusion over how to structure the folders, as well as the license question. Hopefully can provide some insight into how one might go about combining collections under one nicnt.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

If the instruments are encrypted with the library keys present in the nicnt there's nothing you can do.
    If the lib comes without nicnt is easy.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. El Duderino

El Duderino Newbie

So what happens if you put several NICNT files in the same root library folder? Would it cause any issues or conflicts since the libraries are still "activated" every time kontakt start up. Or put them inside each sub-libraries Instrument folder where the NKI files are? And perhaps you could keep all the samples and resources inside a subfolder of the "Instruments" folder? Like some libraries have the NKI's inside the main root folder and then everything else in one sub folder.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You can't. I don't remember if only recognizes one of them or none.