Question: Soundtoys, what makes it SO wonderful?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ELJUNTADERO2022, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:58 PM.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I'm not sure I'd put it on my corn flakes! :D

I know exactly what you mean. I still use their Lexicon 42 (the old one, not the new)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading some of the views above, I think has drawn me to the conclusion as to WHY people still like using the stuff they are use to. be it Sound Toys, PSP stuff, heck I still use Hypersonic 2.

It's the fact we know these plug-ins so well that when we want something that just works and does a specific thing, it's so damn easy to select something where you don't have to waste time messing about.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be able to choose from 10 billion plugins when you are looking for something new for inspiration, but most of the time, we know what it is we are looking for. Hence why people STILL love their plugins they've used for years!

Added to that is they are very easy to use, have great presets and if you really DO want to dig deeper, there is always that option.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 5:12 AM
  2. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

I'm 100% convinced Microshift would improve corn flakes :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

What makes Soundtoys so wonderful? In a word...pheromones! They smell soooo deliciously sexy.

4. villageidiot

villageidiot Newbie

It's a good point, probably lot of the original coders have retired now. But I think they still got the magic, and their new coders know the chops, their latest plug-ins like Superplate are actually very very good. Very nice sound. But yeah, where the heck is juice?! Maybe the retired coders took it with them ...

5. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It could turn em in to Frosties ?

iage.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The most groundbreaking change you'd have ever heard:

VST3 version

:disco:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Emma Evi

Emma Evi Ultrasonic

And yet still no resizeable GUI in 2024

2022 answer in beta forum:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 10:27 AM
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It's just me or that sounds like a load of BS?

Can you imagine it?

Code:
    SoundToys v6.0.0 - Sep 13th, 2029

Changelog:
    1. You can resize them
    2. Only in Mac
    3. And be grateful

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. Emma Evi

Emma Evi Ultrasonic

I Have no idea what they are doing tehre that it takes so long.
    Why not just offer plugins in several sizes, they not need to be 100% freely vector based resizeable.

10. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Can someone link me screenshot from juice? I saw a picture one time, but i can't find it anymore.

11. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Kapellmeister

The OG SoundToys plugins were coded by ex Eventide employees up until about AlterBoy i think, but I don't think they work there anymore though hence their stagnation over the past decade.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Newbie

True they haven't released much at all but Superplate gives me hope for the future! It sounds good.

13. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

thats inimaginable... every company can.. u that are the "most famous" and got excllent codes... can make a rezisable gui???? wtf??? xd

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That could be the answer to most questions
    I was also thinking that. Picture based plugins like these can be done like "Neural DSP": 100%, 150% and 200% original size. Can't be rocket science

15. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

the 2 dudes that made the h3000 founded soundtoys, one of them retired in 2020 and the other is still president
    I think we've seen less from them over the past decade since they've been approaching the end of their careers
    you are correct that the plate plugin is from the next generation of their employees

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  16. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I agree that there are plenty of tools out there that can encroach on SoundToys in terms of what they do most likely (and I think Melda is great, and perhaps I haven't revisited them in awhile etc), but at this point in what I do and others do,

I just find it interesting that SoundToys is getting grief for getting it pretty much right the first time, keeping up with updates (gui scalable issues aside and whatnot agreed), and not shit clogging the whole landscape with new whiz bang releases to "solve THE WORLD" (Ala Waves and whatnot), and just simply, and to reemphasize, 'simply' and painlessly doing ultimately what we honestly would want or respect a dev to do:

make a great product. a musical product. perhaps not one for everyone, but for those who they are, and not unreasonably priced, and responsibly kept up to date, without bloatware and shitty installers and everything else ... and holding down their fort and never ever releasing a piece of shit product that I know of...

Sure, I wish they would open their repertoire more with some areas they haven't addressed perhaps, and/or sure, I would like them to bring their thing to areas they haven't (digital/algo/modulated verbs etc or whatnot and go down that h3000 toolbox and more rabbit hole more then those they already have (but since some of those OG's have left... ok...probably not on the table)...and I don't know their financials etc,.. but they seem to be doing fine and march to their own drummer.

Fine with me, as it's a good drummer.

When I build a new system, outside of my daw(s), ... they are probably the first thing I install along with a few other I consider a+ dev's, ...and have for a long time... and just instinctually, as I'm trying to cut down to distill what is actually relevant to my workflow and sound... so that says something to me.

And I'm not lazy, or "boomer" and stuck in my ways, as I do try out other options in relative fields and areas of what they do early and often.

Sure, admittedly, familiarity can play or breed bias on that, and there sure are a lot of other devs out there making some amazing stuff, and I try and test whatever I can.... and I love d16's repeater and some other delays, and Valhalla along with plenty of newcomers.., and other saturators and color boxes/channel emulators (Silver Bullet Mk2 is a great winner), and I love new toys like the rest of us. But being a little more discerning over decades of this stuff. (I've been using daw's since before plugins existed), a lot of it doesn't sit on my system for long...

And when it comes down to getting it done in a crunch, ... hell, I know what SoundToys can do, and do well (as well as not), and I actually find it refreshing. When the Distressors came out I didn't toss my LA2a's and 1176's, and when Kempers /Fractals and Line6 boxes etc whatnot came out, I didn't toss my Zvex pedals, big muffs, AudioDamage pedals, who knows what boutique or boss pedals down the line and fender bassman's and JMP1's ... as there are always going to be competitive/time/space saving other options...and I celebrate those and employ them in my use...

but I don't scratch my chin about making it about football(or futbol) teams in that there can be only 'one', and I like to write and work quickly and learn the tools I use, and there is a difference between the "latest and greatest and 'you will never need another' sales pitch and something that has consistently just been quality, and especially in a form factor/general musical ease of use that gets you there quickly while you are on a roll.

So to hate on or disparage SoundToys for the sin of simply making a great product that has stood the test of time, that I, and many many others I know can rely on, is laughable. There aren't many devs like that. I get some are upset that they aren't freely available on sister site or whatever, but all the records and songs and everything else done with them doesn't lie... and for me, the ~$120 I spent on the full package isn't a reach for what I've gotten out of it...

And with not having changed the way they deal with licensing or direction/bs/shakedown/upgrade nonsense... They have been fair.

I honestly think they should be celebrated for having done what they have.

And I can't say that about a whole lot of others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

Calling pre-configured HP LP filters "circuit bump" and claiming that they "cannot be replicated" using ordinary EQ plugins is a good example of how far can marketing take some people into perceiving ordinary as extraordinary.
    Analog modelling was never about pre-configuring filters and passing them through a soft-clipper.

Analog modelling doesn't work like that and devs don't just give you a response.

I invite you to have a look at some good analog models like Softube EQF-100, Cytomic The Drop, Looptrotter SA2RATE 2, if you want to see what actually can't be replicated using stock plugins.
    Compare them to Decapitator.

18. Smeghead

Smeghead Platinum Record

I'm sure the sound of Sound Toys can be replicated using other things but I don't have to replicate the sound of Sound Toys using other things because I have Sound Toys.

19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I think I removed a lot of Soundtoys from my template 3 4 years ago, got bored and I'm glad I did. There are a lot of plugins out there that sounds different which is more important to me than sounding "better" or "the best" which I believe close to useless at my current stage of development. I only have Microshift left in my template, just as backup. I think Soundtoys plugins are good, out of 100, I give it 85 which is fairly high for ancient plugins but the problem is people over-hyped it as if it's 99. I mean Decapitator on A (Ampex) settings sound good but the free Fuse Audio Labs VPRE72 that has more or less same harmonics pattern can do a similar job with so much more fidelity on the high end. New DSP (by good coder of course) has its benefit.