Question re Overloud TH-U

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by WillyA, Oct 27, 2020.

1. WillyA

WillyA Producer

I went through a whole lot of rigs and finally found one that I really liked.

I used that setting for a track, the day before yesterday. I want to use that same setting again. I did save it,, but I've got around 25 other of my presets that I've saved.

When I look at TH-U on the track I used, nowhere does it seem to show what setting I used., so short of cycling through ALL the settings that I've saved, how can I find which one I used for this track?

I can't believe that the developers expect one to remember every preset once they close the DAW.

Am I missing something simple here or are th developers really that stupid?

3. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

You can't just save the current state as a custom preset?

4. WillyA

WillyA Producer

But I already saved it - Just can't remember what I called it. So the developers expect you to just have a good memory.

It's akin to having your DAW 'forget' what each track is what instrument or your Fabfilter no showing you which one is loaded, especially when you have several on a single track.

So bottom line is developers really ARE that stupid!

5. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

Developers are stupid, but you aren't for saving a patch, and forgetting both what you called it and where you saved it - and then complaining when you can't find it?

Ok. :eyeroll:

In any case... load the project, save the patch *again* (don't worry, it doesn't take up much disk space), and this time choose where to save it, and choose the name, and if you need to, write a note somewhere as to what it was called and where to find it, if you have a problem navigating the preset interface.

I suggest you create a custom bank, called it "MY SOUNDS" or something, and save your rig presets there - then you can always easily navigate to it, and select your favourite sounds. Either that, or use your hosts preset save mechanism and do something similar there instead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Save your preset with a name like "this is the preset for use with the track 4 of the song X minute 4.23 where the guitar fades in making chords in A min" and donĀ“t call people stupid for your own faults.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

If I use TH-U in a project, save it then re-open it my settings are still all there. Maybe something is wrong with your TH-U install or DAW?

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

When you save a project, all your settings in every plugin should be retained. I don't really understand what you're talking about. You load a project and play it. It should sound the same as when you saved it. That's the whole point and a big advantage in comparison to working with hardware, because with hardware synths/samplers you have to save the presets for every project and remember/load them before playing the project. Saving presets doesn't matter in a DAW with plugins unless you want to use the same preset again in some other project.

9. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

I think the OP is saying that when loading the project, he doesn't know what preset he used (and wants to use again) because THU doesn't display the name of the preset used.

In this case, if you want to use that setting again, you can simply duplicate that instance of the plugin (with it's current setting) to another track. Or if the OP wants to use that sound in another project - just resave the preset as described above. Just a couple of solutions from us really super clever and smart people who manage to choose where to save and how to name things.

*However*, I just actually tried it here, I chose and loaded a preset from a bank, and saved and reloaded my project, and that bank and preset name I used is still correctly highlighted in the browser on the left, showing me exactly what preset I used.

So, I don't even understand the OP's problem at all.

Probably just my stupidity, though...

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This works fine for me for xx years now. I always give my sounds the song's name + X (i. e. 'Happy Birthday Metal Rhy Gits') and place it in my own folder. No prob to find it.

11. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

This is NOT developer fault its a user error
    If you saved your project in your Daw it will open the exact same setting on every plugin you used next time you start the Daw.
    Aslo if you save a setting no mather if it is a plugin or if it an internal effect ALWAYS give it a name YOU can remember.
    OP say he have saved 25 different setting and blaim the developer for not remember which of those he saved WOW.

12. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Hmm, yes, I'm stupid for not remembering what I called it - granted.
    No, my version does NOT show what the current preset is when I load the track with TH-U.

But, it seems in your world, that if you created an orchestral piece in your DAW with 20 or more intruments and when you reloaded it, the names of the instrument tracks were all just blank, it would be YOUR fault for not remembering which instrument was on each track, despite the fact that you had saved them in the original. The would NOT be the fault of the developer of the DAW, just your stupidity for not having a good memory.

Sorry guys, I don't live in your world, maybe I came from another planet.

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

With the exception of Edirol Orchestra I can't recall that this happened here.

14. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

What version, and what platform/DAW?

Did you edit the preset so it was no longer the same as the source preset anyway?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  15. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Best Answer
    Uh ... can't you just scroll through your custom presets (in the presets folder on your computer, not via TH-U's browser) and find the one with the same creation date as the day you created it? Did you create custom presets after that? If not, wouldn't it be the preset with the most recent date?

16. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Why didn't I think of that? Must be old age!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List