Question for Live users

Discussion in 'Live' started by freefeet12, Dec 19, 2019.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Does live have anything like Bitwig's XY Instrument? Or at the very least anything capable of fading between two instruments in one chain?

xy instrument.png

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Any third-party plugin loaded in Live gives you an XY by default. You can load multiple plugins in an Instrument Rack and map macros for different parameters of different devices to a Max4Live device called "XY Pad". You can use this for the stock devices too, which don't load an XY for some reason. Once you MIDI map, you can invert ranges.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Hey,thanks guys.

So it's possible to set up any native (not interested in third-party plugins for this) instrument/sampler with an xypad between them for an easy fade from one to other than? One more thing, Is the XY Pad included the Ableton Live 10 Suite? I'm not seeing it.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

If i recall correctly, it's a stock Max4Live device.

Max for Live > Max Audio Effect > XY Pad.amxd

For the fading between instruments with ONE XY Pad you would have to load them into an Instrument Rack and use macros for the Volumes or Sends

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  7. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Ha, doesn't exist on the drive for some reason. Strangely I haven't been able to find it in Max 8 I download from Cycling '74 just to check.

I did find this though https://maxforlive.com/library/device/1286/xy-send-nodes-circlepan-amxd

8. Element23

Element23 Ultrasonic

Hi,
    Well it depend mostly on what you want to achieve
    If I get the question correctly, you want 2 instruments to play the same MIDI clip, and be able to fade between the 2 of them.
    To achieve this, you need an Instrument Rack, open the chain tab, and create 1 chain per instrument. This way they would play the same notes together. Then you will need to click on the Hide icon. This will open some kinf of MIDI mapping section, with a blue button per chain. You will need to exten those so they take the values 0 to 127. And then right click > distribute ranges equally. And map the selector to a Macro Knob. This way you can switch or fade between intruments.

I suggest you watch a tuto video tho because explaining/understanding this without pictures is a little tricky. Save the Instrument rack, and you are good to go for next times :)

EDIT : I looked for the video I learned this trick in, and can't find it anymore. If you know about any recording soft (never done thisà I could record it on my PC so you see the process. Let me know

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  9. Element23

Element23 Ultrasonic

Found a good video. This is a very powerful tool. You could have a lot more than 2 chains too.

Have fun !

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Forgot about chains. Haven't messed with live in a while. That might do the trick. Thanks.

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Chains are awesome. You know that Live has a built in Crossfader, yes? Right hand side of the Master track. It's the 'X' button. you can then A/B different tracks. Ctrl+Click for different curves.

'XY Pad' It should be in your Factory Packs.
    Factory Packs > Max for Live Essentials > Max Audio Effect > Control Devices > XY Pad.amxd

12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

In this case I simply want to fade from one Sampler to another via a macro. I'm recreating an instrument I made in Bitwig for a friend. That's one piece if it.

Turns out I had to DL Max for Live Essentials. So I got it now. Thanks for the help.