Question about Mono & Stereo

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by AB69, Dec 5, 2014.

1. AB69

AB69 Newbie

Lets say the track is in stereo, but the EQ setting say it is in mono, does that matter? Does everything need to be stereo (unless you want to pan it?)

How come sometimes on empty midi tracks in logic it won't let me put in my plugin stereo style?

Thanks.

3. fuad

fuad Producer

Hey,

What do you mean? Are you using an EQ plugin that works in mono? Because there are some plugins, like Waves that have both mono and stereo versions of each plugin. If you are using a mono plugin then it will make the track mono. So use a stereo EQ on a stereo track. It's actually better you use a stereo EQ in all cases and then you can control if you want to use the Mid/Side function if the EQ has it so you can choose what you want to EQ.

In Logic you can insert a mono or a stereo track, so check which one it is.

4. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

if the plugins processing mono on a stereo track you'll here it only as one channel panned centre perhaps or hear it processing only on one channel, think it depends on the DAW
    you can take a mono source and add a fx thats stereo with some plugs, I just stick to what makes sense and havn't researched this in any detail, my ears usually tell me if its right

5. AB69

AB69 Newbie

I'm so confused... Heres the problem:

track 1 is stereo, I hold shift + option in logic and the low cut comes up with several options such as mono, stereo, mono>stereo
    track 2 is also stereo, I hold shift + option in logic and the low cut comes up, but with only a mono option

wtf?

They are both blank stereo audio files, but on one I can have a stereo low cut, but on the other the option isn't even there?

Do EQs with mono AND stereo options, does the option matter, like lets say I use a mono eq plugin (the eq plugin had options both stereo and mono), on a stereo track, is that good, worse, or the same as using a stereo eq plugin on a stereo track?

Also how do I add a stereo plugin (ones that have both mono and stereo) into an empty midi track in logic? When it is an empty midi track the eq plugin options are always mono it seems. I read it changes once I select an instrument, is that correct?

Thanks.

I ask all this because I am currently working on a template, and I want to get everything I want in it 100% right so I don't need to tweak things here and there halfway through future projects, etc.