Question About Hand Positions.

Discussion in 'Education' started by sada asdasdasd, Feb 3, 2018.

1. sada asdasdasd

sada asdasdasd Member

Greetings, I wanted to know from any of you that know hand positions tips for piano, since I'm trying to play step by step piano, but I'm having trouble. After playing chord inversions 5 minutes, my hands and shoulders get stressed.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards.
    asd

3. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

Do a search on this topic on YouTube and there should be plenty of tips there. It is important to warm up before playing, as in small exercises for your hands, fingers and arms. Posture is also important. The main thing is as you practice more and more, you will be able to play longer and longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Many times those learning a new instrument have this very issue. It is not about where to position your hands on the keyboard, but of relaxing and not tightening up your entire body. Look here to check out the Alexande Technique which can help in my facets of your life https://alexandertechnique.com. There are other places to visit like https://takelessons.com/blog/relaxing-while-playing-the-piano .. or look at this video of this yummy lady talk about loose hands

5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Try this while sitting at the piano with a straight back position. Begin with your arms to your side, now raise your forearms and hands so they are parallel with the ground (palms facing down). Now just relax your wrist. Your wrist and fingers should naturally curve downward. Then just lower your hands, from the elbow, till they gently rest on top of the keys.

Playing an instruments should flow from the natural movements of your body. It can be painful at times but if it seems excessive, you should consult a professional Pianist in your area.

7. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

If you are playing classical, you should definitely play as @superliquidsunshine suggested. I've been playing keyboards for over 50yrs, and my piano teacher in college tried to force me to sit properly and place my hands like the book showed. By that time though, I was already playing boogie woogie and rock and roll and knew many of my heros never read music, or sat at at a piano with proper hand position. They played in a way that was comfortable for them. For the most part, starting out, take frequent breaks, try to relax, and do finger exercises. It takes awhile to stretch your hands to inversions. Just do 10 minutes, break, do something else. like scales for 10, break, back to inversions. Always change up, never do the same exercise over and over in one practice session. Good luck!!

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I had this really weird piano teacher when I was about 14. She would get me to do 30 press-ups against the wall using nothing but my finger tips as a warm up. To this day I still don't know if she was a good teacher, or just a perverted woman. Still, it DID build up the muscles in my hands!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List