Question about graphics card and Studio One

Discussion in 'PC' started by kidstretch, Aug 3, 2017.

1. kidstretch

kidstretch Member

I recently bought a new PC, Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming, Intel 7700K, 32 GB ram.
    I didn't buy a graphics card cause the chip has an integrated card.
    But when i load plugins, it takes 1-2 seconds to load, and when i switch from one plugin to another, same and worse.
    Will it get fixed by installing a graphics card?

3. C7

C7 Member

No, and unless you are using GPU/CUDA processing for something like Nebula then I am of the frame of mind you don't really need a graphics card in a DAW.

Are 1-2 seconds really bothering you? The graphical component of the plugins is miniscule compared to the code behind the scenes that does all of the audio processing. It could be the plugins copy protection code as well as a lot of those algorithms are very CPU intensive, which is why cracked plugins usually run so much more efficiently than the legitimate counterparts.

You have a rather high end system also so I don't know why you would be experiencing any sort of bothersome lag, is it worse than your old setup? You could try installing your operating system, Studio One, and your plugins onto a solid state hard drive if you haven't already as that may help.

4. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

I've got an old HD5850 in my computer and that thing has no influence at all on the performance of my DAW. I recently tried the even worse GTX260 I have lying around (wanted CUDA for video production but OpenCL on the HD5850 was still faster so back to the Radeon it was) and during that time there was absolutely no noticable difference when I worked in Studio One. Even when I forgot to install the proper drivers for the 5850 at first so it ran with those that Windows had lying around somewhere.

Do you get this loading time issue even if using the Studio One-tools (Pro EQ etc.)? Because my computer is slower in comparison and I can switch between those without any delay.

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Some days ago someone posted somewhere a related interesting post regarding NI Maschine regarding GPU performance.
    I tried it and it it also is the same on my system.

Plugin GUIs open faster with the Intel iGPU (the gpu which is built into the CPU) than with my high Performance Nvidie GTX 780Ti card.

On macOS , on the same Hardware the GUI's opens much faster than on Windows but the CPU consumption is higher.

6. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Some plugins are just slower than others to refresh.
    About loading, only an SSD disk will help.

And graphics drivers can be the reason why, too.
    Check new drivers on Gigabyte website :
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10#support-dl

I don't think upgrading the graphic card will help on this problem. Apart it will "bypass" any driver related trouble.

7. kidstretch

kidstretch Member

Thanks for the answers guys. Well, i forgot to say that i have an M2 ssd disk, so that's not the problem. I also have an i7 MacBook Pro 2012, with 16 gigs of ram, but the plugins load faster on the Mac, especially the Ozone ones. That's why i was curious, is it me, or Macs have so much more better management (an old 2012 macbook pro vs a recent powerful PC).