Question about extracting multiple .rar and .zip

Discussion in 'PC' started by webshark, Oct 5, 2013.

1. webshark

webshark Member

Ok Something that I should of asked a long time ago haha. So with most of this software as we know comes with multiple zip or rar files. For example. test1.zip test2.zip test3.zip My questions is this, to properly extract them do you extract only the first one(the rest is automatic? ) or do you select all then hit extract(I usually do this and it says replace file sometimes) or do you do each one individually?

I would like to know a definite answer on this lol

cheers!

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

use winrar - open the first part and then just unpack it.
    or use total commander by ghisler its also easy there.

4. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

The safest way would be to 'right click' on test1.zip and 'extract to test1'. That way if the zip/rar is corrupt/incomplete you will get an error message.

But I check first how the rar is compiled and if there aren't many sub folders/files I just drag them to my desktop for a better overview. When there are many sub folders/files in the rar, I just make a new folder on my desktop and drag all the folders/files from the rar at once into the folder on my desktop.

You'll also find alot of .rars which are compiled into sub rars. Especially with these kind of rars, a desktop overview comes in handy.

Here's a video of other ways: Youtube

5. webshark

webshark Member

Sorry but what do you mean by just "unpack" it after extracting first one?

6. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

usually double packed, unrar then find the first unrarred rar and unrar that, you should then be able to install and test :wink:

7. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Unpacking means: getting the files out of the rar (extracting)

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

sorry unpack=extract.

when you have a parted rar with test.part01.rar - just open the first one with winrar and then you should be able to extract it.
    the same works for test.rar until test.r10 for example - open test.rar with winrar and then extract.

with total commander it works the same, but you dont need to open winrar, with TC you can just go on test.rar and then enter and you can see with in the archive.

here is the download for total commander: Total Commander

i think zip works similar. (havnt used zip in ages.)

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Webshark,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also use that method with other 'Archives' Formats as 'WinZip',... , not necessarily only with 'WinRAR'... *yes*

10. webshark

webshark Member

great thanks alot so first extract the .rar then the others only AFTER that right?

Thank you!

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

What I do is extract every zip (since most zips aren't linked multi-part). Then I extract the first rar (.rar out of .rar, .r00, .r02, etc). Works most of the time.

12. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Webshark,

In fact, after having extract (to another place, e.g. a newly created Folder on your Desktop for that purpose) all the 'mini-parts' ('.r00', '.r01', '.r02',.. , '.rar') that are included within an Archive, you must simply find that 'famous' mini-part that contains the 'suffix' : '.rar', and as previously told within my provided snapshots, simply 'Double-Click' on it.
    This process will automatically launch the whole decompression of each of these 'mini-parts', and you'll end up with the final Content of your Archive (e.g. a 'Setup.exe' file, or an 'Installer', 'Samples',... , or any other file(s) that have been previously compressed). *yes*

13. LV-426

LV-426 Newbie

It's easy. Select all archives, then extract here (in your foder). WinZip or WinRar, it's the same procedure. Done *yes*

NB: Sometimes with the releases of AiR, you will have archives, which contain other archives .rar. In this case, you choose all the archives, and you extract it here. You'll see that new archives have appeared. You erase the first set of selected, and you extract the second series of archives.

Good Luck buddy :wink: