Quantum Computing

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by DAWinci, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DAWinci

DAWinci Newbie

Imagine a DAW on this :D

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

We can do wrong things even without it... :rofl:

Politics
    [​IMG]

Music

Cinema
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AaVUs3-Pw

...it is an endless process.

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

In my experience, the limitation sits in front of the monitor.

5. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

It seems the singularity approaches. :wow:

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yeah, for now, working at -273 CÂș and x-10 magnetic environment. You cant let your phone close to it :rofl:
    But like many things, it may one day come to public. Even so, I agree with this : "the limitation sits in front of the monitor."

7. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

That's why, when you hear stems from Thriller, they sound so-so (quality wise).
    But when you hear the final mix...you take it in the face :rofl:

"Limitation sits in front of the monitors"
    AND
    "Limitation stand in front of the microphone" too :wink:

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Things like this really fascinate me and I'm following what's happening at the future of computing scene as closely as I can, too. Well, one day a few decades from now we might make music in a virtual studio that's going to be a complete analog emulation of the real thing, but the limitation will still be us, yes. :bleh: And you'll still have to know how to operate everything. :wink: At least I think so.

One thing that really pisses me off is when people think "I have a computer now and it's going to make music for me". :wow: No it won't. You still have to learn how to do things and you still have to be talented and creative to succeed, and you still need to be very persistent and patient in reaching your goals. Computers are just tools, and tools help you get there easier.

Albeit, that easier part is debatable... I'd work with a whole analogue, hardware based studio any day, rather than this computer and hardware "hybrid" based one I own, but a quality analogue studio still costs almost as much as it cost a few decades ago. Especially since computers have spoiled us with all this automation and total recall... you would want to have that too in a whole analogue hardware based studio and only a console that can do things like that [SSL, Allen&Heath, Soundcraft... browse Youtube for SSL AWS or SSl Matrix. My wanking material :P] costs like a whole very decent computer based studio.

Regarding quantum computers, they won't be available commercially for a very long time to come. Especially since they need such extremely low temperatures to work. Anyway, first they have to sell us something less powerful than that. Probably optical or carbon nano-tubes based CPUs and computers. These should be about 10x more powerful than the silicon based ones, or so I've heard. In the mean time there's still some life left in the bad old silicon, unfortunately. :( At least 5-10 years of it. They speak of 14 nanometre nodes next year, then 10, then 7 nanometres, maybe 4... but thereabouts should be the end of silicon usage for CPUs.

Cheers :mates: !

9. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

As someone who just wrote an Operations Research final exam (basically how to solve advanced optimization problems), I can greatly see the need for this.

As for audio, quantum processing aspect wont be beneficial as audio calculations are definite, 2+2 is 4, only their shear speed will be useful as they'll get to the solution of 4 exponentially faster.

10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Quantum computers already exist, and this current implementation is only faster on certain types of problems so unless your beat-making involves solving network path optimization problems, better stick to a classical PC for now.

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/d-wave-quantum-speedup/