Quantizing John Bonham

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by Lois Lane, May 17, 2019.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This is kind of funny and this is kinda sad. Heaven forbid you quantize, the great John Bonham's slam.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that the quantized version sounds much more modern and the original much more lively and groovy.

Almost 20 years ago we tried to layer a pop song we made with a self sampled Rock drum pattern from Queen, I think, and it didn't work at all. I did the same as Beato and the whole feeling of the pattern was gone...

4. DrumHead

DrumHead Producer

Definitely too much Time and Pitch correction over the past 20 years. And now all my clients expect "that sound" of perfection. And I have seen other studio's milk the hell out it by charging for many additional hours to correct drum tracks(and others) that groove and dont need correction. Too sad cuz your drummers name has been changed to Pro Tool and you sound the same as every other drummer thats been put through the "detective". Same with Vocalist and Pitch. Drives me crazy .

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. electriclash

electriclash Guest

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    agreed.:yes:
    don't feed the monster, it'll eat you in the end:dont:
    :woot:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

The guy sounds waaayyy too "humanized", may be after a bottle of vodka?

8. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Quantizing John Bonham ... :wtf::suicide:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. JohnEncore

JohnEncore Ultrasonic

real groove in music emerges inside the tiny gaps beyond mathematically perfect timing or artificially (i.e. mathematically as well) generated quantization, I believe.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

If only EDM could take a cue from Bonham & Dilla.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

people still bitch about this.

It's 2019, we get it, this is not an uncommon thing in the world of art and art fundamentals, it's what's written in the books and taught everywhere. Subtle imperfections make for more natural, better and more genuine results.

I think by now most top engineers have found a way to get more natural sounds using more digitized tools. If people don't know how to do it by now they still have a shit tonne to learn...

12. [​IMG]

"Don't call me your drummer. I ain't your drummer. You're my vocalist."

If only everything in life was as reliable as a drum machine.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Yes and once they've quantised and pitched it, they will add "groove" to the quantisation and round robin to pitch and velocity, so it feels more "natural".... :deep_facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

And what's wrong with that?

Are you telling me drums should never be edited or changed in some way after it is recorded? even real world drum recordings are edited and processed, dubbed in with better recordings of the lead and bass, mixed in with more synthetic kicks and drums to make them heavier... it's called PRODUCING music not live performance...

15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Actually I believe he was agreeing with you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. shomyca

shomyca Producer

o.O

Bonam's rhythm does not sound better because it's "humanized" and "imperfect", those terms suggest that MISTAKES in the rhythm are making it great.

NO - he purposefully played that way, he knew/felt EXACTLY where to put kick, snare, hats, and all of that in that given room that he was recorded in - he played the room so to speak (very hard, if possible, to do it with dry recordings and reverb, not so much cause of the sound but cause of the groove). In his first example you can hear how much the snare is behind. And in the second, it's forward. Two completely different grooves that bring different energy/feel/expression to the music. Now, how much EXACTLY he put it behind/forward? A very very specific place in time... and what about other elements and relationship between them?

Now, inconsistencies in his grooves ARE "humanizations" and " imperfections" and bring that NATURAL feel of a live recorded drummer, but those are NOT the reasons he sounds like him-self, and the reason we all like it. He was a master, and if one wants to learn his skill, one could do it.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Heres Ricks previous video.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I must be missing something...

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Thing is, if your chosen (mine was and would still be if I was recording bands, horses for courses of course and there is no accounting for taste) method of capturing the studio performance is to gather the faithful into one room and use bleed to advantage. Screwing around with the drums by using quantization will just (Excusez mon français) just fuck it up, the groove created, the entire song, everything. Yes, samples might be added to certain hits to perhaps beef up something lacking, but to screw with the timing of one instrument displaces it and alienates it from the rest. Gobos are de riger to help with a minor eq adjustment and to minimally separate the instruments in this technique, though what has become the norm is not as nice to MY ear and sterilizes, voids the microbes of huminized feeling that creates a healthy aural imune response to the mechanized need to perfect the "Little Boxes" affaire the greater part of the industry now demands.

20. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Only Olymoon's quote which agrees with you is all I see.

[​IMG]closest bp petrol station

21. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

1. Music in different periods and cultures has specifique, unique traits. "Perfect" time and pitch are such an unique trait of modern western music.

2. This "perfectness" forms unique feel of many-many modern music styles. House, dub, EDM etc. never have sounded like traditional music. And they don't have to. It's not bad, it's just a different thing.

3. Our instruments directly determine how we play and how music sounds. Sequencers are particular musical instruments that haven't nothing in common with traditional instruments. We have at our disposal pitch-shifters and quantizers, we place notes on grids, our synths are perfectly tuned. Technical side of music forms music itself too.

4. Thanks to electronic instruments and audio recording musicians and musical theotists at last have realized that musical rhythm isn't a succession of equal temporal intervals (quarters or name-it-as-you-want). John Bonham may be was sure he was playng quarters and eights, I think (why not?). :yes: