Quantizing bass guitar in pro tools and other DAWS

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Laggy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

hello guys..
    Q1. i usually use pro tools in the recording phase, quantizing audio in pro tools is really handy but sometimes it bothers me in midi editing and producing in general.i find ableton so much easier.
    so, is there any daw has the same audio editing and quantization capabilities like Pro tools?

Q2. i wanna get a new audio interface with 4 inputs for recording and mixing, any suggestions?

Q3. why a lot of ppl mix using uad audio interface? aside from their plugins, does its output has other advantages? i'm talking about the quality of the sound, does it differ from focusrite audio interfaces?

i know it's really awkward that the first post for me here has a lot of Qs like that :dunno:
    sorry for my bad English, love u guys:mates:

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Q1. Some Pensado guests I watched mention they use multiple DAWs for the precise reason you speak of.
    Q2. How much of your money do we get to spend?

4. Alexcholo7

Alexcholo7 Newbie

Normally I quantize with elastic audio in pro tools and MIDI because I get use to it but I used to do all the midi editing in Logic pro X, i'd recommend Cubase, it's kinda like the editing of pro tools but kinda more friendly about midi quantize process tho

5. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

i don't know.. but it seems not so practical to me, i mean exporting the track as wav then close ableton then opening pro tools and start quantization .. then reopen Ableton and import the file ..... etc ....
    maybe it suits them as professionals but not me :rofl:... that interrupt the creativity process:guru:... just kidding but its really hard for me :sad:

and for the price of the audio interface, its $200, that's more than i have but whatever :dunno:

6. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

thanks for your time.. Can u explain to me the process of moving files from Logic (for ex.) then using Pro tools for quantization? isn't really hard and interrupt your work?! or u postpone the editing phase until you finish your whole song?

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you're going round-trip DAWs a lot, maybe it's time to switch DAWs (or learn your DAW better?.

Most DAWS can export MIDI, but you'll need to convert the entire peoject http://aatranslator.com.au/ btw supported DAWs.

PT, Live, Reaper, etc are supported. (Logic isn't)

8. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

sounds like a big hassle for no reason; use Melodyne 4 Studio to edit the basstrack in Pro Tools, maybe bounce it if you are really satisfied with it, and done! Melodyne gives you all the control you'd want over any part in your song if the timing is off. Do not put every note on the grid though, that sounds like a robot and that is not what music is about.

9. burgvogt

burgvogt Kapellmeister

I'd suggest using Cubase, where both audio and midi quantization are easy to handle :wink:

10. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

that's the first time i see a program that do this process! just wow... i will check it thanks pal

Melodyne can't handle quantization like pro tools do, maybe cause its easier to me i dnt know, but when it comes to quantize audio in long tracks like acoustic guitars and strings pro tools is really handy and easy.. that's why i was asking if another DAW has the same capabilities for audio editing.

and sure there's no 100% audio quantiztion to the grid. we need the human feeling man:mates:

That's the second time i was told about Cubase today for audio editing! ... is there any video for editing bass or electric guitar track ( or acoustic ) for Cubase? is there any tutorial about it?
    maybe when i watch some videos i can understand the difference between Pro tools and Cubase.
    thanks for ur time man :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  11. Dvus I

Dvus I Kapellmeister

When you make a good catch, you do not have to quantize it...
    :speaker: :metal::guitarhero::drummer::guitarhero::metal::speaker:
    ;-)​

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

sure. tell that for my cajon player ;)

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Just use Cubase for midi all around .
    But quantizing a bass line means destroying the groove :dunno: (if it is not some sort of electronic genre )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

No matter how good you play, every track needs some 'massaging'. That's why i'm asking about audio editing capabilities in different DAWS.
    That's the 3rd time i was told about Cubase today, but i couldn't find any videos about aligning bass tracks or guitar to the grid using Cubase without doing it manually. In Pro tools this feature's name is Elastic Audio, i'm sure u heard about it.

Well, it seems that everybody loves Cubase today! :D

15. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Like One Louder said----for most types of editing, I like to load tracks into Melodyne 4. Mostly I use it for individual tracks that then get moved back to my DAW of choice after I've monkeyed with them. Be sure to save the original in case you change your mind about something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

If your cajon player can't keep time or play to a click or looped rhythm track or drum machine etc., it's time to get a different percussionist.:drummer::rofl:And Melodyne has analyzer setting for polyphonic content and percussion

17. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

Gonna check Melodyne 4 more to see what it can do for me. thank you and One Louder.
    Can't swap or change band members man :dunno: the "one man show" mindset is really powerful! i usually fix the timing of 8 or 16 bars then loop them :rofl: but can't do that for Gtrs and Bass of course.

18. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Melodyne 4 is fun and much more powerful than any previous versions. Even if you don't use it as discussed, it's still a handy thing to have and tinker with.

19. Alexcholo7

Alexcholo7 Newbie

I already get use to it, i have to dedicate more time because I print every track from logic x and then search the audio file and add it to the pro tools sesh. I don't have any problem with that already jajaja but time before it was kinda annoying.
    Btw I quantize everything to the grid 100% because I have worked with musicians that play at time, but of course I am mixing rock or metal, everythings sounds more like mm I don't know if it is the correct word but to me sounds more catchy on those genres.

Sorry for my bad english :dunno:

20. Laggy

Laggy Newbie

understood the idea :like:
    thank you man :mates: