Pultec hardware EQ - Good how to...

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by bluerover, Dec 27, 2017.

1. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Great demo of an original Pultec hardware EQ....

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I don't see what you did there... but I guess someone does

4. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I am far from being a mix expert - (unfortunately) these days everyone has to be to a point, at least to present their work. But if somebody asked me about the "magic" box, even plug.. this would be right at the top of my list! :yes:

Just by understanding a bit how the +/- thing works and fiddling around with knobs, I was able to get nice(r) sounding track. I always wanted to see graphically what this thing does. "Trust your ears" would be the obvious answer. Well, I don't (not after an hour or two). There was the (in)famous vst-analizer (only 32 bit ver.:/) ..discovered the waves Q-Clone can be used, if you make a feedback :). Don't know of any other similar analysis tools.. :dunno:

5. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I have two LINDELL PEX-500 series hardware EQs (Little Pultec tubeless 'clones') strapped across the mix buss (patched). I'll attenuate (turn down) the lows ~~100-120 Hz and below with the PEX, then add the lows back in using the PEX's gain. This adds a thick buttery low end back into the mix (transformer saturation). It's a PULTEC trick to kind of swap your low end for perfect buttery lows (just 2 knob twists). It rather counter-intuitive, but I can only imagine what using 2 original PULTECS would sound like!