PulseCode's Hit and Body layer (Layering Drum Samples)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by freefeet12, Jul 22, 2019.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've posted in the forums, outside of the Bitwig threads.

Here's hoping someone uses this VST or knows about these layering techniques. I'm trying figure out what's going on PulseCode's Hit and Body layers for the Snares. The documentation gives some useful information but doesn't go into enough detail. I'd like to get some thoughts on this to try and avoid a crap load of guess work only to get it wrong and waste crazy time.

I'll quote a little and follow up with my question/comments.

"The Snare Hits are very snappy and almost clap-like, designed specifically for giving the drum that extra 'crack'. These hits are based on the Core sample, providing a more natural sound for each drum. The Snare Body layers sit around the 200hz range for bringing out extra 'punch'."

So there's no way to hear these layers on their own so you could only ever hear them blended in with a volume dial, ect. I'm thinking the Hit layer is just an EQ'ed/filtered version of the "Core" sample, perhaps cutting out everything but the "crack" range, maybe emphasizing that range? I'm thinking the Body layer may be the same approach but in the "punch" range. (maybe a sine tone?) Way off? In either case I can't be sure so here I am willing to listen to more discerning ears.

Here is the Demo and more information.
    https://www.psychicmodulation.com/pulsecode.html

You know what, here is a video to listen:

That actually worked, my fist try making a screen recording and uploading to youtube. Easy enough. :wink:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  3. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Yikes, no one?

I'm just getting around to this part of my project and I don't know how to approach this. :dunno:

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

From what you said it sounds like you have some idea about layering and frequencies so imo not sure how guesswork could steer you wrong as long as you land on something satisfactory. Sound design is all about experimentation and finding your own path to a desired goal. Could be a kick layered with a snare and square wave or could just be a square with fx processing.

5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I agree with what you said about sound design, and in this project of mine I did find my own way, most of the way, but in this case it's an old school technique I'm after. The problem is I can't find any information on how this was done back in the 80s. I started working (working in my case is defined as getting work done, minus the experimentation) on this early Feb, about 2 hours a day or more. I've only missed 3 days since, today being one of those days because I'm stumped on this, as silly as that seems. I'm over 4 thousand samples in, half of those hand crafted from scratch, all of them uniquely processed. (not counting the some thousand trashed) I'm almost done, but I just can't make out what's going on here.

It's always the snares that gotta be the pain. :guru: