Pulled the trigger, got Amethyst III

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by ed-enam, May 16, 2017.

1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Not only is ITB production a dream come true for many of us, but just everything else is so much more accessible and cheaper, musical instruments, gear, etc. 20 years ago it was impossible to excel in both areas unless you could afford it and lets not forget the almost unlimited and instant accessible information available on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  2. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

25 years back I had a flute and a Casio CT670 keyboard but no way to record apart from these :D

[​IMG]

Computers were a luxury and when my Dad bought us one, we used to have a queue to play Prince of Persia :D

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Veyr True @Von_Steyr >>> it would have saved many cassette tape deck lives from me stopping and rewinding to learn guitar parts>>>not to mention all the needle's on the record players i destroyed doing the same thing hahahahaha ;) Like you said the unlimited supply of info on most anything is unreal these days \m/ even tho my kids are grown up now i know they felt just like i did wen i was a kid my mother telling me i was lucky to have a tape Deck to learn songs>>> cause she had to catch it off the Radio live if she wanted to learn somthin new lol >>> ive been tellin my kids the same how lucky they are compared to my generation growing up all we had was books, record players, saturday morning cartoons, and MTV >>> \m/ and oh yeah Arcades at the mall !

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

i remember my first recording on one of these old players that lil mic on it lol \m/ i would record a guitar track to one of these players then play it back and play another guitar part and record them both to another tape hahahhaha did the same for vocals too ;) My mother had a good 8 track tape recorder back then but wouldn't leme use it till i got older haha ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

"All we had was books, record players, saturday morning cartoons, and MTV"

True, but we were fortunate to have grown up in the golden era of music and movie production.
    Internet turned the world upside down and i think people like us, artists, creative people, etc are using it to the fullest potential.
    This is what is all about, unlocking your potential, humanity at its peak.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Right on brother ! im with you i wouldnt trade our time to grow up in the current times >>> we were blessed \m/ and the cool thing is we are still around to enjoy what is now \m/

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I completely agree. I just named a song I'm writing "The Last Days Of Hope And Wonder Are Past", because I was thinking about how I was probably of the last generation to grow up with an idea of the future that was more filled with wonder than dread. I have two much younger brothers (20 years younger) who never grew up with a conception of a future that might be better than their present or the past. People love to bitch about Millenials, but they've been handed a total shit sandwich that they didn't make, and are told to eat it and be grateful. I'm grateful I grew up in the late 70's and 80's.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I completely agree. The 80's weren't the best times ever but it sure were better times to grow than today. Indeed we had crappy hardware - if we were lucky enought, it took me a while to get just a 4 tracks - but the world seemed more like something we could dream about, a lot of hopes were still alive. We didn't give them much to hang to, I'm sorry for that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    This reminds of the time when I wrapped my own pickup to go on my beginners acoustic guitar. I used a girder from my toy bridge to wrap some coated copper wire, ran it through a cassette player, then through my stereo, bam! Electric guitar! Can't beat a teenager's ingenuity!

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  10. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I'm not usually one for groups or clubs of any kind, but I am glad I finally joined this one. Only moments ago I found a modest cheque in my mailbox and thought "meh, who needs groceries anyway..?"

Let the good times roll ...

• Love it! Love it! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. thedudeman

thedudeman Member

Hey all - How do the CoreX acquas compare to the earlier versions? (Namely Core9).

The plug-in has been updated to CORE X, so the compression times have been greatly improved and faithfully reproducing those of the original machine.

I know AA has been updating Acquas as they go, but is there any significant performance difference (Name sonically)?

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Congrats bro!
    Now that you`re in the club, you have to learn to dance like Usher...hey not my rules, its the guys, they made me do it.

13. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

The only Acqua that is now core X and use to not be that I could compare (and I think it's the only one out in coreX out so far, Gold is suppose to become coreX but I'm not sure it has been updated yet, I haven't checked lately) is Amethyst3. But it went from core 7 to coreX. So big step up, I'm not sure the "gain" would be so spectacular with others who come say from 8 or 9. For example the big thing new in Amethyst is the SHmod command (which was introduced with Core 8, alot of Acquas already have it, it's a command to modify the slope of the attack of the compressor, the gain in precision for compression I guess translates into that sort of thing). That's a big plus. Also the CPU consumption is the same, but it displays less latency when I use it, almost none, even when I turn on the bands it's instantanuous (I have a i7 6700k win 7 64 and 32 gig ram), which is very new with this one, it used to be painfull.
    The sonic quality has both to do with the core version implemented in the plug, but also regarding the sampling stage. And they didn't resample Amethyst (only sampled the new eq present), so basicely the quality hasn't changed (it's still top notch)

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

LoL, I love soup. I dont see any problem.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I see Ramens in your future! :bow:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. returnal

returnal Rock Star

How do you know I can't already? What do you think old white guys do on the Canadian prairie to keep warm all winter?

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

As the saying goes, When in Rame, do as the Ramen

18. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Congrats man. I was sure you will certainly get it, sooner or later. Happy for you! :)

19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Well, as long as he doesnt have to dance like Bruno (by himself)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

White Canadians are damn good dancers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List