Psytrance style - first track ever

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by fromzerotozero, Jun 6, 2022.

1. fromzerotozero

fromzerotozero Member

Hello, professional audio lovers. As a psytrance enjoyer I discovered the fascinating world of electronic music production two months ago and finally managed to end up with this first track. I guess it's the right place to have some great feedbacks around arrangement & mixing on it, so feel free to give it to me ! Even "for noob" advices are welcome, thanks a lot

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

I like how the kick and bass sound together in a clear way

I also like the story teller melodies and the textures that play from the very beginning till 2:07 and the mystical vibe catched me as a listener , buuuuuut! I lost it at 2:25 min.

It is just a matter of producer mindset and it doesn't mean that you do something wrong.

The third part playing from 5:10 to 6:50 would sound much better if it started to play from 2:30 min.

To me, the second part playing from 2:40 to 4:10 dominates the track redundantly and it somehow kills the mystical vibe.

As I said it is just a matter of producer mindset.

4. fromzerotozero

fromzerotozero Member

Glad to see you enjoy the kick&bass and some parts of the track, and thank you for your answer.

A friend of mine got the same feeling as yours about the global arrangement when another feels the progression very natural and coherent, so i got your point about mindset stuff, and i'll try to take a look back after a few days of non-listening it.

This is funny how you can't take a step back after tweaking the same track for hours. And this is basically the kind of insights that will help me to dive in it again, so thank you for your refreshing point of view mate.

5. BlackOnBlack

BlackOnBlack Newbie

I really like it when it begins to trip out after 4:30 :chilling:

6. SpyFx ✪ ✓

SpyFx ✪ ✓ Audiosexual

Hello @fromzerotozero :wink: & welcome to the forum ! :bow:
    "Humanoïd" is a great track & a nice production :yes:
    * One thing I've noticed is that @2:44 your main lead sound/melody line drops on volume,imho that brings the energy of the track down.
    * Also not a biggie but you could change the "album cover" to a more psychedelia style image, like you did for your second track :yes: :wink: :bow:

Can you please also link on your opening post your other track Spacey Merguez ? ---> I like this one way better :like:
    *i enjoyed it a lot (reminded me the good old days I had back in my home country Greece with Astral Projection,Dragonfly records & more this label was very popular back then)

Thank you for sharing you music,MERCI BEAUCOUP ! :wink:

7. Bonetti

Bonetti Member

Big Up actually for this creative sound in general. Somehow oldschool vibe too which I miss a bit in nowadays productions. When it comes to mixing I think it´s really good for a newcomer like you. I would propably put more low mid energy on the bass and presence or stereo or room to keep it more present. The sound effects could be more 3D dimensional. The drums a tiny bit more room or space. Arrangment: The second part starts too quickly with the main lead. Probpably introduce it during the break before with highpass filter or another effect and snippets of the sequence and delay or reverb. Generally the main lead synth is a bit too trancy...meaning too simple. A phaser or filter movement would bring it to the psy world. In the third part there´s a small break. After that you continue with a squelchy psy lead. I would give it some parts room by removing it. Then bring it back after an effect sound.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I generally dislike trance, so I do not know all the genre specific things about it. I think the lead is too loud, a bit. If you do keep it, maybe just bring it in with some volume automation or a fade. It seems to come in abruptly, to its full volume. But anyway, for a first or early attempt; it is very good. How sample dependent is the project? Anyway, keep at it. good work. :)

9. fromzerotozero

fromzerotozero Member

What a timing, i did post the other track before leaving the computer and i'm just looking right now to your comment ! Thank you for your welcome & advices i'll take a look on volume issue and visual, this one was made by a friend & I'll ask him to rebuild it more in the thematic ! And I'll also give a ear to the references you are presenting here, i only know a few of Astral Projection, seems worth to give it a shot again ! Anyway, thank you very much for both of your feedbacks, ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ ΠΟΛΥ :bow:

Thank you for this in-depth analysis, and glad to see that this one is talking to you ! I'll take a look on your mixing advices, i'll probably struggle on the 3d part cause as of now i'm only using closed-back headphones and i feel limited but it won't prevent me to review the matter ! Isn't stereo problematic on bass ? I mean, I don't know the frequency levels you can still play around with effects/stereo without unbalance your low end, so i'm not taking risks, I prolly need to learn more than "bass frequencies must be mono", or experiment a bit and see what happens. Arrangements advices are also talking to me, i'll give it a try for sure, i'm already using a phaser to counterbalance the pumping effect but i'm underusing filters and effects on transitions/in general for now and will work on it. Anyway thank you again for your precious time & expertise-sharing :bow:

Thank you for giving it a shot even if it's not your main genre ! As volume on this part is an often recurring problem i'll take a look on for sure :wink: I did use a melody sample as a part of atmo building in intro/first part, some grid i barely tweaked around for the bots sounds between part 2 & 3 and some one-shots for certains sounds all along the track as i find them both interesting & recurrent on the style but don't have as of now the skill on sound design to make it by myself. I guess that's all. In any event, thank you for your advices & encouragement :bow:

10. Dedfela

Dedfela Newbie

The track is sick!...Personally...im also experimenting with psytrance...Im trying to mix psytrance elements with metal....in my own way of course

No one cares hahaha...id love any feedback!...just want to get better!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022