ProtonMail (Lavabit Replacement Made By CERN Scientists) Just Launched

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Catalyst, May 17, 2014.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Highlights
    • Complexity, Simplified.
    • Advanced cryptography meets modern design.
    • No installation or setup.
    • No private / public key management.
    • Instant encryption / decryption.
    • Tablets and mobile friendly.
    • Compatible with other email services.
    • No tracking or logging of user data.

The long wait and anticipation is finally over! Today, we’re happy to announce the launch of ProtonMail’s public beta. Now, any member of the general public can get a ProtonMail Beta account instantly. No more waiting for an invitation.

We will continue to work hard on further developing and improving ProtonMail from both a security and usability standpoint and would like to thank all of our several thousand users so far for their help and support. Every bug report that has been submitted has helped us to improve the product. You can keep up to date with our progress on Twitter and also by viewing our Release Notes.

As our users from China, Iran, Russia, and other countries around the world have shown us in the past months, ProtonMail is an important tool for freedom of speech and we are happy to finally be able to provide this to the whole world.

Take back your online privacy now by creating an account here

[​IMG]

3. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Am I the only one,that's eyes immediately went to [email protected]? :wow: :rofl:
    [​IMG]
    Ok,I'll get my mind out the gutter,lol.
    For real though,interesting news

4. m3rcury3

m3rcury3 Newbie

Thanx a lot for the info, Cat! Very interesting and useful! *yes*

@Levitate: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Cool stuff CataBro! :thumbsup:

Best thing, getting in early you can actually have the email address you WANT, rather than having to stick additional letters, numbers, underscores, etc, etc after your name.

Of course, the privacy thing is also kinda neat!!! :bleh:

I still don`t feel great about exactly what those CERN nutters are messing with, however, new private email services I DO agree with. :wink:

6. chd

chd Newbie

well spotted Waldo :wink:...she is a tech savvy Forbes contributor well represented on the internets...or an internal joke to the PM team lol

now thats a selling line right there..."Use ProtonMail and live to tell your children! Engage in planning subversive activities carefree with our new encrypted service for free. Your life, happiness and Google-free existence may depend on our service (optionally, future premium account mails wont be flagged by NSA algorithms and signing up to / sharing login info with FB/GMAIL/TWITTER will not possible at least within 6 months from date of sign up.)" lol *yes*

A quick word of warning! ProtonMail is still in BETA so it might not be 100% reliable yet. We suggest that you don't use it yet to store emails if you can't afford to lose your life.

*no*

(lol, OP good post)

7. Demon

Demon Producer

This is cool Cat. I just secured my real name and also my nickname! As you can imagine "Demon" is very common, so I got in first!

Thanks!

8. terrybrown

terrybrown Newbie

I currently use mailfence (https://www.mailfence.com). So far I am really satisfied with the service. The main reason I decided to choose it over the other encrypted email service providers is that mailfence's servers are based in Belgium, and benefits a real data privacy compared to their competitors (that are based often in USA, where privacy is not as extensive as in Europe). Compared to protonmail, mailfence's servers is never capable of viewing plain-text data, therefore, the data may never be compromised through mismanagement, prying eyes, or external bodies looking to gain access. This is a real added value for me that don't like to be considered as a product!