Prophet 5 Plugins - Softube Model 80 vs Arturia Prophet V

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Udi Zisser, May 30, 2023.

1. Udi Zisser

Udi Zisser Platinum Record

Let's compre these two Prophet 5 Plugins

You can watch a full review on both

Arturia

Softube

3. stopped

stopped Platinum Record

do you not agree that repro is the best

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've used both the Softube and Arturia vsti and feel that Repro is the better of the three. I like Arturia enough to have bought their hardware synths but feel that their software is...soft.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Udi Zisser

Udi Zisser Platinum Record

I wouldn't know as I don't have it yet. By the way.. how do you measure 'best' do you mean the most accurate reproduction of the original unit sound? Honestly I never played the original so I can't say but I know there are videos out there comparing. In the video I show that both arturia and softube sound very similar but differ in functions and features.

6. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Which wouldn't have helped you much because it changed its basic sound several times over the years.

8. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

What is there 3 or 4 revisions of it altogether? Not to mention the fact that 40 years or so will do a number on all the components inside, who's to say which one of the originals even sounds 'like the original' anymore?

9. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

I only tried Repro and it sounds and controls great.

10. kags

kags Ultrasonic

i had the softube but i sold it... I'm a repro guy to me sounds sooooooo warm... the softube is really really good and i have tonssss of preset for the repro he he he but I do believe the fight is between softube and repro.

11. nOrakat

nOrakat Newbie

Its so weird how all these people jump in and start promoting Repro. I don't think Repro should even be included in the comparison as its not even a faithful emulation of the Prophet 5. Softube goes as far as saying it is emulating the circuitry.

Anyway I played around with all 3 - I think Softube sounds the best followed by Arturia though in some aspects maybe Arturia is better. It seems Softube can make warmer sounds. I didn't like Repro (1 and 5) at all.

I don't get the guy who said Repro was the warmest because I though Repro sounded the harshest or edgy (maybe you like and want that sound; not me). I thought Softube was the warmest though I like aspects or Arturia's version too.

12. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Is it just me or the Softube Model 80 sounds more like a Moog than it is a Prophet. Repro 5 for me.