Progressive House? Really trying to get better at mixing

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by helder777, Sep 23, 2014.

1. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Hey guys,

I made a song this last weekend, nothing really fancy, was just for practcing my mixing!

Please take a look at him and give me some feedback.Could be about anything.

Ah, I put a free download on him cause soundcloud destroyed my high end and a bit of low end, but the .wav file is fine!

FEED4FEED! :)

http://soundcloud.com/helder-soares/h-loares-warmth-mastered

Thanks everyone!

3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

To make use of Soundcloud or YouTube embedding simply paste the link and remove the s in https. Nothing else is necessary. :wink:

4. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Thanks, I will do that on my next posts!

5. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

It sounds good. It is missing the "boom" transient: using this word I mean the element that let
    explode the rhythm (so you choose to jump up from the chair and start to dance).

P.S.
    I am a noob so... don't spend too much time thinking about my opinion. :grooves:

6. manducator

manducator Member

Hey,

The mix sounds thin. There's something missing around 200-300 Hz. In the area where the bassline is. I think the song would sound better with a louder bassline, or the existing bassline layered with something else.

Try for yourself; turn up the eq around 200 Hz and listen if it sounds better. But instead of fixing this with eq, I think it's better to turn up the bassline.

Cheers.

7. helder777

helder777 Newbie

In the .wav file it should sound a little better, cause the fundamental of the kick was around 40hz, and soundcloud cut this when he compresses the song. But maybe is really missing the boom!

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Yeah man, when I sidechain my bass to the kick, they always lose the power like that... i guess i'm sidechaining to much my basses... If I turn his volume up, it will be clipping and yet he will sound weak...

These days I was listening a song from axwell called in my mind, and maaann, listen to the bass of the drop! It's so clear, even with all those saws and tons playing together! I wonder how the fuck he does that.

Thanks for the feed!

8. manducator

manducator Member

I like to separate the mixing and mastering process.

You shouldn't care too much about getting your song loud when mixing. Instead of trying to make the bass louder, turn the other instruments down, until the mix sound good, no mather how low the volume is.

Then, while mastering, take care about the loudness.

There are lots of people with knowledge here who can help you.

9. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Yeah I separate too... But if i turn the bass up and the other things down he eat's everything (the other elements lose power)... don't know if you got me... man it's a mess, mixing down is so fucking complicated...

10. manducator

manducator Member

In this case, eq is your best friend. You have to narrow down the space your bass is occupying.

I konw, mixing isn't easy, practice, practice and keep practicing.

11. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Yeah i guess this is the way. Some while ago i saw chart, with all kinds of instruments and which frequency they should occupy, and i was thinking now, that this could be useful as a reference... Did you ever see something like that? I can't remember where i found this chart...

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

AudioSex Academy (Table Of Contents)

It's number 10 on the list so just click on the blue text next to that number. Once loaded there will be a link for an interactive frequency chart.

13. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Wow, awesome man, thanks a lot!

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Never a problem. :wink:

15. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Ok. Here's my 2c to your song. First of all I like it a lot. I like the way you build the energy thoroughout the song.

Indeed the bass department is lacking. I don't know if I'm hearing it wrong, but there's actually no true bass for the first 32 bars (bars 1-8 are dominated by the pumping kick drum, 8-16 feature the snare hit plus the piano hitting chords in 4th notes, bars 17-24 feature a hi-hat, and the last 8 bars offer the pads and build-up to the peak of the song). These 32 bars need to be bass enhanced. I'd arrange another bass line that would step in at least in bar 17 to offer a low end to the prominent hi-hat that appears there.

If your arrangement doesn't call for a bass line per se in those 32 bars, then the chording section could use more bottom end with EQ. In my cans I can feel the subsonic content of the kick. You need to make the bass line match that energy without making the kick collapse. You could identify the dominant frequency of the kick in a spectrum analyzer and then carve out that frequency off the bass. That would allow you to pull up the gain on the bass without sacrificing the kick drum tone.

I can see myself playing my bass over your track. I really like it.

BTW, the overall output level is fairly low compared to radio-ready masters. For a mixdown that's great and you are leaving space for more bass to surface. Your track could use some mastering later.

I hope my appreciation helps. I contrast to the bottom end, the highs are really cool. Well balanced and clearly spaced out to my not-at-all-pro-or-golden ears.

Peace to you.

16. wlhdgm

wlhdgm Newbie

Hi,

You mentioned that if you turn up your bass, it clips. I think you can try turn volume of all other channel down, instead of turn up the bass.

And try turn down the volume of high frequency instruments, and then turn up the volume of the whole mix, I think this will work for your problem.

17. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback!

About the bass in the 32, his lacking was intentional, I tried to put more bass on the chords but it sounded weird and I decided to leave it without, so when the kick and bass drop will be more impactful.

I had cut the fundamental of the kick on the bass, but i guess my sidechaining screwed the bass...

Thanks again dude!

I will check this out! Thanks mate!

18. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

If you sidechain the bass correctly, the effect on the bassline is close to inaudible. what you hear is the kickdrum becomming more prominent.
    Unless, of course, you want to create this 2000s electro-house effect where everything pumps like crazy - but then again this effect shouldn't be applied on the bassline. the kick and the subbass are the grounding of your track. they have to be rocksolid and stable.

19. helder777

helder777 Newbie

Yeah, i was watching an interview with Audien these days and he said that he uses a click (like a metronome) for sidechain. I will try this out on my next production.

But a pumping effect is nice too. That will depend of the track.

The problem with the sidechain in my song, i guess it was because the kick is to long.

Btw, anyone knows what the EQ function on ableton 9 built-in compressor do? He' seems to sharp the sidechain... but you guys knows if he mess with the frequency sidechained?

20. cyberjet2004

cyberjet2004 Newbie

i like it. nice and mellow just need bit more low end. i also have endless nightmares getting the bass and kick to gel nicely. we all still learning. i can imagine a chick vocal in here that would sound nice.
    i like this :)