Progression? Feedback please.

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by Stuck In The 80s, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Finally moved into the 90s

(or late 1989)

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. clone

clone Audiosexual

it sounds good. i like the kick. the midrange synth part gets a little repetitive because it's in there for almost the entire track. You could probably do some more with the track if you wanted, but what is already there is good. I'm not sure why you say 1989, I would guess more like 1993 but with more clarity. The rave synth in the first breakdown has a very distinct patch start playing, but I don't know if there is a "name" for it. It sounds fine as is, but it worried me you might let it play many more times; because that might even be a little more "period correct". I think it is better the way you have it only play a few times. :like:

4. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Sounds really good, but why did you place the lead in the background? I like that arrangement that comes in at around 0:57. That arrangement is very good, tururur ruuuuuuuuu. It has a great '80s/'90s vibe."

5. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

6. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Let's get straight to what doesn't add up to me, which is perhaps what interests you most.
    If you're looking for the sound of the golden era, then there are several anachronisms in your track (which is basically an intro from start to finish): I expect the theme to start at about 1 minute, and unfortunately isn't there. The 90's trance sound had various harmonic evolutions in the arrangement (that was the trick that made you fly).
    The mix: your 909 is too polite, you probably overdid the compression and all the transients were lost, I would like to hear the kick with a stronger peak and the harsh hihats typical of the time. In general, your mix sounds too much EDM of the present time: you know, in the 90's there wasn't this excessive use of compressors and even the mastering wasn't so aggressive (in your track I found -9LUFS)

In short, your track is a good start, but you should go deeper into ninetyism to be more convincing

A reference track - 90’s trance:

Another reference, more techno oriented:

7. Stuck In The 80s

Hi... which sound are you referring to as the lead sound?
    There are various different lead sounds throughout.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

:rofl::mates:Anytime your avatar doesn't synch in time to your posted music it gives me agita.

9. Stuck In The 80s

The only way I can achieve that is by creating all songs at 120 BPM.
    (which to be fair is the default setting when I open my DAW so highly likely)
    (but not on this occasion)
    :)

10. 0on3

0on3 Guest

ok , Im feelin it , it has a nice 'Devo' feel to it Im thinking , maybe even a 'psycho killer - talking headz' feel as well !
    But ..... but .... you could put a nice thrashy - metal spacey guitar piece over it and it would be a NIN tune then !!

So piss on worrying about the date and time your in , ( i hate when people do that ) , just keep on duin watt ya'z duin !!

11. Ryck

Ryck Guest

The "lead," which starts right when the song begins, the one that creates the main melody, I hear it in the background. Unlike the Kick and the Bass, which are more upfront, to my ear or preference, the melody, whether it's a lead, a violin, a voice, should always or in most cases be upfront. But well, those are choices, that's why I asked why you placed it behind or lower than the rest of the instruments when theoretically, it's the main instrument

12. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

Just try to know how to use and play with these notes:

3.jpg

The rest is just decoration.:bow:

Styles are of secondary importance.

13. Stuck In The 80s

If you're going to troll, do it with some humour bud.
    :no:

14. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

No, I swear to God I don't. I love you and I just want to help. The 80s was one of the best decades of electronic music because it was full of note-based music.

If your music lacks good combination of fundamental elements (notes), whatever you do, the result would be a bit far from promising.

Just test my idea and see how much you music changes. Please do it.:bow:

15. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

Please listen to this song previously been released here by an accomplished artist, an ardent lover of electronic music of the past decades like you. You can hear the presence of notes everywhere.:mates:

Attached Files:

16. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I don't think he trolling you. What I interpreted is that the most important thing is the melody; everything else is decoration, including the styles. I can play, for example, Radiohead's 'Creep' on my guitar in different styles, and it will still be pleasing because the melody is interesting, just to mention one song

17. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Well, this is a totally different story: italo disco in full effect, I love it. Who's the artist?

18. DEGRAD

DEGRAD Ultrasonic

TBH, I can't remember his name. So sorry!:bow: