Programming percussions and drums

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by Backtired, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Recoil

Recoil Guest

2. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Watch and do all of these the best you can with your fingers:

Start slow with a metronome. Getting faster over weeks, months.

http://www.xpresspads.com/

Soon you'll be all like:

or

or whatever style you're into.

Worked for me.

You don't actually need the http://www.xpresspads.com/ program, but it is affordable, that's up to you. Get informed. The thing to take away, imo, is having a system. The layout of the pads is important. I use a very similar layouts to the ones described on the website.

http://www.xpresspads.com/finger-dr...outs/hardware-presets/xpresspads-4x4-layouts/

Or get some drums if you can afford all that. Even if you don't want to end up playing the drums/pads like a god and end up using midi notes with a mouse. You can learn a lot from watching real drummers and their lessons: https://www.youtube.com/user/freedrumlessons

Also, get a hold of midi files from drum performances. Some of those high end drum library's have those. Study the midi.

Learn it all, then forget it all if you want.

Good luck!

3. electriclash

electriclash Guest

100% agree, the exact reason I keep these guys in play :shalom:
    20180120_110625.jpg

@Backtired: have you search 'middle eastern' or 'arabian' midi on sister/+? maybe actually seeing how the percussion patterns are laid out will help

also not sure if you're on mac or pc but on mac have you looked in the magic trackpad 2? this could help in that you can tap midi straight in
    :wink::wink:

4. diazz100

diazz100 Noisemaker

5. diazz100

diazz100 Noisemaker

6. diazz100

diazz100 Noisemaker

7. diazz100

diazz100 Noisemaker

8. Dirty Hairy II

Dirty Hairy II Ultrasonic

Pdl37nO - Imgur.jpg

9. Kial

Kial Newbie

First off.. Humanization is to be kept close to the chest.
    Second.. You will want to checkout Euclidean Rhythms style tools. I don't know what DAW or equipment you use but I'm guessing you have not dove in deep to the digital work-spaces? If not, Try out applications such as ''Renoise'' (I then use Reaper for recording). I play around with Bitwig, Ableton Live etc. and VSTs but they get cumbersome unless you have a direct connection with them workflow wise.. I use Puredata also which is amazing for sound design when you want to get to the bottom up!

I stay away from alot of VSTs just because im use to Linux / Unix OS's and really minimal is more. (Renoise has a ''Redux'' vst which is basically renoise summed up.. so if you use other software.. its the ONLY vst you need.. trust me you'll thank me.) But other than the digital arena I usually use modular synths, which is the real reason for the disassociation of computers as much as I can possibly and utilize interfaces I physically have to interact with saved me to regain that creativity and spark that was slowly being snuffed.

I would advise if you have no deep knowledge in sound design, start out with Renoise's demo. Working with physical samples will help you understand the editing of the beat. Tracker effect commands and then further editing goodies will help you refrain from stagnating and further growing to understand the processes of synthesis where you can then set free the creativity with surgical editing of beats and sounds helping you to then utilize the tools to help you do the work and you'll be able to dial it back. First you have to understand what your doing, your going to have to get your hands wet, over and over, even if you never get that sound your after.. to create the sound you can with the skills. Then the systems of '''logic'' and ''sequential switches'' will help you guide noise clips and lfo's together with other modulations to allow you to not think so much and let the creativity guide the tools to shape the sound.

check out Eurorack Modular Synths too. While your at it. Youll have fun ;)