Programming Momentary Switch in Logic Pro

Discussion in 'Logic' started by sideman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. sideman

sideman Newbie

I'm doing some work with a Hammond plugin (VB3) in Logic Pro X. Thankfully, I managed to get this 32 bit plug to work by converting to 64 bit VST with JBridgeM and then using Metaplugin. Works pretty well, but I'm struggling to find a way to trigger the Leslie speed with a momentary switch (e.g. sustain pedal).

In Mainstage, this isn't a problem -- I can set up up any controller to operate as a toggle, even if it is a momentary switch. Just tap the pedal and the speed changes. Tap again, and it changes again. However, I can't find a way to make this work in Logic through any of the automation features. You have to physically hold the pedal down to keep the Leslie in fast mode. I think I need to build a macro in Logic Environment to deal with this. :dunno:

Is anyone out there able to come to my rescue on this? My pedals runs on Ch 1, CC 66. I wish my brain was bigger, but if someone can guide me through this a bit one time, I'll be all over it the next time it crops up!

3. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Yes this is very simple

4. sideman

sideman Newbie

Uh huh. For some perhaps :rofl: OK -- I'll take a run at it. I was hoping someone had already built that macro or something similar and might share it with this aging computer semi-illiterate. If not that's cool. I'll see what I can do and get some experience in a part of Logic I haven't looked into.

5. sideman

sideman Newbie

OK, I managed to do it...took a while to figure out but it seems solid so far. However, I'm quite sure I'm not taking the most efficient route. To filter the pedal noise, allow the rest of the keyboard data through, and then run the toggle solution, it took me FIVE friggin' transformers! I couldn't figure out another way. If anyone has interest in discussing this, I'll be happy to post something more describing what I did.

6. sideman

sideman Newbie

The method I noted above is far more complex than needed - don't bother with the Environment window. I took another look at simply adjusting the controller assignment options and found a better way. Assign your momentary pedal to whatever switch you want to control, then go to the "Value" parameters near the bottom of the controller assignment window (in expert mode). Set as follows:
    - Min AND Max both = 127 (I tried all kinds of options the first time I looked at this, but not that one :snuffy: )
    - Format = unsigned
    - Multiply = I needed to assign as 2 to get my switch to toggle fully in both directions
    - Mode = toggle
    Should be good to go. *yes*