Programming a Track - Free Style (Not Quantized)

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Plainview, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. samsome

samsome Guest

i tried to watch it........a bit of a large process or is it my idea ? :(

4. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

its a large process but you only have to do it once , and it changes the whole feeling and groove of the song

5. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Kenny is great and he is making his videos as a complete, detailed reference. They are meant for wide audience, from beginners to those who simply forgot xy-thing. Examples are simplistic and it might seem he's overdoing it.. but Kenny is just telling you how the DAW works. Not showing off a fancy beat he made - that is up to you.

The method in demonstration is absolutely the right way to do it. But there is an alternative quick and dirty way to achieve this in about every DAW that has tempo map/envelope:

- make sure you change the properties of the "item" or "clip" so that it doesn't follow the project tempo (like at 4:10)
    - open the tempo map/envelope, draw points and move them up or down, so the right lines align with the right beats

Done. It also works with an audio clip (that makes even more sense.. eg. live drummer audio)

6. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

this is incredible , you can literally make a tempo mapping tempelates of different songs and grooves and just build around them , I used to just nudge every element until it feels right or just roundup the tempo and go off grid which becomes a huge problem when layering