Programm for Converting Sample CD's for Ableton Sampler

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Elektrohexer, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Elektrohexer

Elektrohexer Newbie

Hi,
    i got the symphony of voices Images but they are an MDX file. I converted them to Iso but Ableton Sampler still cant decode them. Other older Sample CD's work without a problem. Kontakt can open the MDX files but i want to use them in Ableton Sampler... I tried some converters from sister site but they are very old and either dont work or make files that still are not readable.
    Does anyone got a solution to this?

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Use the " CDXtract " Tool.

So you convert to Kontakt and then you manually delete all *: NKS / Kontakt files, then you have all * .WAV files that you can play in Ableton!

CDXtract is likely the best app for converting AKAI/EMU/Roland to other modern formats such as Kontakt/Halion

Thingsthat you may want to know
    • CDXtract is likely the best app for converting AKAI/EMU/Roland to other modern formats such as Kontakt/Halion
    • .MDX is Daemon Tools’ native format which can be converted to .ISO/burned to CDs
    • You will probably be told that those image files are unsupported/unreadable.
      The truth is: Yea…those files are unsupported by current Win/Mac OS.
      Simply dismiss the error message, Daemon Tools should mount them just fine.
    • To sum up, You need:
      – Daemon Tools
      – Conversion Software (if you are going to use them on computer)
      (CDXtract/Kontakt/Halion/Extreme Sample Converter(AKAI/EMU)/Chicken Translator/EXS24 mkII(AKAI)) (6 Jan 2018)
    • Warning: Kontakt5 seems to have issues with modern MacOS regarding AKAI import, just google “AKai CD import no longer works in Mac OS 10.9.5”

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

^ CDXtract won't work for what he's asking.

In my experience, you need Daemon Tools to first convert the MDX to a proper ISO - it has this feature built in. Then you just drag and drop the converted ISO to Ableton's User area and it works just like that. Playable Sampler patches! Although it does miss a few now and then.

It's convenient to have Parallels for these types of situations, or a cheap PC laptop (if you're on a Mac like me).

5. Elektrohexer

Elektrohexer Newbie

Thank you very much guys! I will try all that now

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

so use any iso manager, eg Poweriso, daemon tools, etc, which converts to ISO and then use CDXtract to get actual instruments or one shot samples extracted, otherwise u have to load the ISO everytime, which is just time you always invest.

7. liquidlove

liquidlove Ultrasonic

The guy was asking how to get sample CDs (in MDX format) into Ableton's Sampler instrument.

Ableton does the ISO > Sampler conversion for you. There's this site that shares these old school sample CDs, and they seem to post them in MDX format for some reason. So you need to first convert the MDX into ISO. And for that, you need a tool - Daemon is the easiest in my opinion.

But you don't need to use CDXtract if you're gonna use Ableton. You also don't need to keep the ISO, the converted files reside in your Ableton User Library as playable Sampler patches (and their WAV files).

Mind you - this only works for AKAI format CDs.

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Actual Ableton conversion, is kind sloppy sometimes, so im using CDXtract, save it SF2 or something else and then load it into Ableton Sampler.

Or im using a SF2 player, eg this one https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

thats my opinion.

Also conversion from nki presets from Kontakt is broken since a long time, it worked so well in v8.