Program to automatically update file name with key and bpm info

Discussion in 'Software' started by tfmc369, Jan 27, 2024.

1. tfmc369

tfmc369 Member

I have noticed in my sample and loop collection that some files just have the name of the sample file
    (i.e. 01 Sample loop.mp3 or .mid) I have no idea what key it is in or the bpm. I could rename it after finding out, but when you are talking 100's of files it is almost too much to do. Does anyone know of a program that will scan the file, get the info, and then automatically add the key and bpm information to the file name, (i.e. 01 Sample loop Em-190.mp3 or .mid)?
    Just a thought.
    Thanx

3. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Yep. I would like that too. And then let it run over the Zappa-collection ... and Stockhausens "Licht-Zyklus" ... and see what it comes up with. :)))

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Huh. Should be doable. Well, relatively doable.

5. b2d40c208e3cb7b741f2

b2d40c208e3cb7b741f2 Ultrasonic

Sononym. It can analyze files and creates a database which makes it easy to find/organize assets by sonic/musical terms. You can (mass) rename files with tokens based on any variable in the database like note, bpm, loudness, metadata. There are functions to reverse, replace, etc.; it's pretty well-fleshed out.

The analysis isn't always correct but you can fix it individually or bulk. e.g., if you know all samples in a folder are 120 BPM (it does some reasonable guessing with sample length and transients, so is generally wrong on cropped fills for example), you can mass set BPM. It doesn't determine musical key (it's on the roadmap but long term) but it does detect what single note it thinks it is, which is great for multisamples and can get you halfway there for loops. It can move files around too. So it won't do everything, especially if you're organizationally demanding like I am, but it cuts down the work tremendously.

One other thing I'm waiting on is being able to write these to metadata. It's on the roadmap (also long term), so in the meantime you'd need to use another tool. Also notably, does not ingest RX2 or MIDI (Resonic may help with that if you're on Windows).

Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/5CAMhCj1/sononym-roadmap

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

I used to do all this stuff with my sample library, too. But what really cuts down on all the work, is not doing any of it. There is almost no reason current day to continue doing "heavily curated sample libraries" anymore, unless you are using hardware samplers. And mostly not even then.

Hundreds of hours boring administrative work down the drain, invested into samples you are never even going to use. People used to say it was good to do, if you were having writers block; or the benefit of having them processed to "not slow you down" when creating, etc. But today, our systems are so fast and external storage so inexpensive; even if you have to offline process the samples you are putting in a project, that process is way faster than using a Sononym-like manager application to find some "already perfect sample" via auditioning. If your Sononym* has to scan a couple terabytes, it's so slow. For XLN XO style "like-kind suggestion" application, it's also sort of pointless. You really don't need a program to tell you that similar samples are in the same sample pack, as the one you are comparing it with. Who knew?

These programs add unnecessary duplications of work for material you will never even use. Your DAW is capable of changing key/bpm of any sample you want to use, non-destructively and in seconds. The best way to stop digging the hole you are in, is to get rid of the shovel.