Program for Midi file editing in standard midi

Discussion in 'PC' started by bassmandro, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bassmandro

bassmandro Newbie

Hi all, I'm in need to edit some midi file for live performance. What I have to do is pull out drum, bass and melody line and let only piano and horns or whatsoever. I have tried to do that with Cubase but my machine is not able to handel all the instances of Halion involved. I'm looking for a programm that let me do this simple editing, using standard midi channel no vst or similar in the simplest and quickest way, any suggestion?

mmm, wrong section... how canI change that?

3. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

FL Studio does it rather easily. So does Guitar Pro.

If you want super simple Master Tracks Pro is old, but runs super fast. I don't think it even supports vst's. Only problem is by this time it'd be almost impossible to find since it was discontinued quite a awhile ago but doing a search may find it.

4. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

But yeah, FL Studio would be my pick for you. But one question? Why not just delete those tracks and resave the midi to cut down on your resources load?

5. bassmandro

bassmandro Newbie

Thanks XoSo for your quick reply, as you suggested I have tried Fruity loop but no sound is coming out making it difficult to choose which track to delete (maybe my copy is wrong configured or lacks of standard midi instrument). I'm trying Guitar pro now, seems working but I was wondering if there was some 20th Century software out there specialized in this kind of STANDARD midi arrangemnt.

6. Dazeon

Dazeon Ultrasonic

Midi format 0.
    GNMIDFMT

7. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Well, in FL Studio you need to use either soundfont player [standard midi anymore is just a soundfont on your comp] or Fruity LSD.

Basically the easiest way is to drag the midi file into FL Studio and it'll auto set it up for you. If you need to change instruments just change the patch number etc. Basically what I think your doing is just loading the midi into empty tracks/sampler tracks. So basically just drag the midi into any empty space in FL Studio and it'll bring up a window for importing midi and it'll set up Fruity LSD on the first effects channel. If you then click on each instrument it'll bring up a window that will show all of your midi data like port/channel instrument as well as basic controllers like mod, reverb, chorus and all that other stuff.

And in all reality I only suggest FL Studio because you mentioned actual midi editing and there is no other program that does midi editing as well as FL Studio. I've looked/tried.

But yeah sorry I should have explained a little better.