professional sound vs mine

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by samsome, May 8, 2020.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

so i used Reason's Orkester ochestral sounds i'm new to this, i was thinking to test Eastwest monthly subscription thing to get better sounds
    The first one that will play is the professional one
    The second one is what i try to recreate it somehow
    can you tell me how close to the professional thing that is? like 10%?
    can i get it to like 50% if i try more? or should i just get better sounds?
    https://screenrec.com/share/PQBLH5m3oO

3. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Like 10% but you can get like 50% if you use some staccatos.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

You also need to pan the violins to the left and add violas panned to the right. And then add an appropriate reverb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. samsome

samsome Guest

where did you learn these techniques? just checking any good source to learn from

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2020
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I can't tell you a specific source, meanwhile I can hear it. But maybe this is of some help:

[​IMG]
    But these positions are not fixed. As you can hear in your example the basses are centered.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

You can easily get 80% there with modern samples. But there's a big learning curve.
    As No Avenger has pointed out, you need to know orchestration, who plays what and where these instruments sit in the sonic space.

I'm away now, but I can mock up the midi quickly this weekend and post it for you.

EastWest Hollywood is still one of the best, and there's a new version coming out 'Opus Edition'. But the interface is a nightmare if I'm honest. So I would hold out personally for the new one.
    A popular choice for starting out is Amadeus, runs in Free Kontakt. Think it's $150
    https://sonicscores.com/amadeus/

With strings you need to thinking about dynamics, vary the velocity of the Staccatos and Spiccatos. And slight adjust their placement, otherwise it'll sound like a machine gun... like yours does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

pan violins R and L as no avenger said. where your reference track sounds large and wide spacially, your track sounds very narrow as if you have everything panned to center. The only "sound" that isnt up to par (to my ear ofcourse) is what im thinking may be a cello or some kind of low horn. its the low sound that comes in at second 10 and swells. it sounds very digital and "honky". find a more appropriate sound for that one instrument (which should stay dead center as is usually the case with your "bass" sounds) and sort your stereo field, ie: panning/volume, and you'll be at 50% ish.

not a bad attempt for someone just getting started. its hard and there's oceans to learn. Good Luck!

9. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I had a quick go at this today.
    Remember the reference track will also be mixed and mastered properly, and may even contain actual instruments.

In the first example, I used all notes on the grid, all the same velocity.
    In the second example, well... I didn't. There's also other sections in there, as the reference track.

Hopefully this helps you understand the importance of dynamics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

10. samsome

samsome Guest

thats great!
    what did you use for this? !

11. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I think I used VSL for the above. But for this type of epic most libraries can cover it. I don't really do epic stuff, but layering up several instruments is key to this genre, and especially the percussion.