Producers VS Not Producers

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by PAULOPAUZUDO, Feb 7, 2017.

1. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

For example, for example.

2. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

OHH, sorry, I haven't read this before when I answered. I think I get your point now... Sure, when I'm playing guitar (given that is arguably the most known instrument at the moment) there will always be the one that will say "and you know how to play.... *insert some highly popular song*", or it will come some metalhead and will say "you know how to shred?" or in those ways... I just don't bother, either I respond or not.

Same with electronic music, in times of Skrillex it was "and do you use massive?" or "yeah, I know a guy that uses ableton//flstudio" and the answer will always be "yeh, it's nice" or "nah". In the instant they start "lecturing" me about something I will give less than a shit, but if they ask "how do you do x thing" I will explain them simply, and if they wanna expand they will ask again. I don't have a need to just shut them down because they don't know... at the better they get interest, at the worst they loose it and never bother me again

3. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

Gladiator is my shit, PAULOPAUZUDO also love Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

4. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Sexual fantasies... :bleh:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

so what if a mere mortal wants to learn about music?
    following your logic musicians should have gone extinct thousand of years ago?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Yeah bro, you got it. And I got your point too. I don't play guitar, but I see that "guitar stuff" happening in front of me all the time. I'll tell you why I asked this whole thing, if you don't mind.
    So, i'm the only producer in my family and among my friends. So I don't have so many people to talk about music production, only when they ask me something. So, I'm always punching people in the guts because of their musical tastes (I live in a place full of shitty music, don't worry).
    So one night Iwas talking about Dubstep to some of my friends who are all those "I know about music because I go to raves all the time", you know? Then, suddenly everybody went like "Dubstep???? What's thaT?" At this very moment, my friend, I realized that the only "genre" they know is "House". I kept thinking about for probablly a month or so... I could't believe that, you know... So there's a lot of "information" to these people, they're always on "raves" and... Seriously? I mean, at least they should already hear about it, right?
    At this moment I started to pay more atention to "normal people" as I call them, and how they work, you know?

7. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

lmao is this really your concern? ^

8. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Your answer is in page one.

9. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Your answer is in page one (2)

10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

House music at a rave? I'm not sure that's an actual rave or maybe I'm just getting old.
    Plus, better to spread over instagram the tools of the trade than the fanatical idolatry of all those tools in the trade.
    I find abnormal people awesome.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I don't like the current usage of the term "Producer" George Martin 'produced' The Beatles. How many of you with Live and a PC would have a clue what to do if sat at a large console, given an engineer, a budget, a timeframe and a 5 piece band? I last provided my services as a Producer to a band in 1988. I now do what most of you probably do. I compose music electronically on a computer with a DAW. I think I'm a composer. I don't see myself as a producer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

I'm afraid that nowadays they play house in raves... or call those things raves... Now you know the struggle...

13. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

You are a composer, if you draw notes on the piano roll or play them via midi or whatever, this is composing for me. This is also a big part of my life, so I'm a composer as well and... you know what a producer is.

14. recycle

recycle Guest

I am a producer (as you can see under avatar), and all you lousy laptop composers are FIRED!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

a rave? What is it 1989? We call em parties now. Have for over a decade. And we Rage at them.
    If all they play is house music then you just have crappy promoters where you live.
    I'm from South Florida and any given weekend you can find more than half a dozen parties with all the different genres of EDM.
    Dubstep is still alive and well here.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

Many of my favourite people in music have been those that have retained an element of mystery and intrigue in their art. They've not gone out of their way to explain their methods and have often been reluctant to even give interviews.

However, the majority of these people were from a time when you could sell a great deal of records/CD's and if they were good then a brief review in the weekly music press, the odd play on the radio, maybe a TV appearance if they were lucky and word of mouth alone could serve as 'promotion'. These days, it's practically impossible to make a living on selling the music alone, unless you're a very big artist. The bands that could scrape by on gigging and selling a few records on an indie label are unfortunately over. Artists/producers now have to diversify to make even an average living.

The medium that killed the record industry means you can interact and promote far more easily, but unfortunately this means the moody, secretive artists are very few and far between and have to release outstanding music in order to get heard. It's never been easier to find music to listen to, but there's far more of it to sort through in order to find what you like as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I'm not a producer. I write, compose, play, sequence, sing, record, (mix and master) in the roughest sense of those definitions, my own songs, or tracks for fun and enjoyment. As I do this myself, I obviously supervise this process, which falls under the definition of a music producer. I don't consider myself as a producer, as it is not my profession. But does that mean I should be denied knowledge.
    I think that cat's already out of the bag, but good. They should start to question it's use, then maybe we'd start to hear more varied vocals in songs, instead of everyone sounding the same; pitch perfect.
    But are the real producers doing it right? When I listen to some of the shit that comes out, I do start to wonder.
    They might try it, and be really good, or shit. Why worry? It's not like you're an explosives technician, because that would be something to worry about.
    Absolute Male Bovine Excrement! There will always be people who do it for the love of creating.
    Maybe you should call them muggles; a person who lacks any sort of musical ability and was not born in a musical family.:rofl:

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

"Rave" is how my friends call it here. And of course we have the worst promoter in the world here.

19. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Very picturesque I have to admit :)

I went to create a mental image of the thing, but than the female/male part got me stuck :rofl:

20. PAULOPAUZUDO

PAULOPAUZUDO Noisemaker

Example... example, right?

if they never become producers and never take it serious or treat it like a cheap hobby, they will just fuck the art.

Now, imagine if the real producers are doing shit, imagine the "non producers".

What I'm trying to say is: People are treating these things like toys. But is not, these things are somebody else's tools. If you make music just for fun, great! For real, great, no problem with that. But as said many times before, just take it serious... This is somebody else's profession.

Of course there are people doing it for the love of creating or "for reasons", but yes, they are between those two worlds. Or do you make music because you hate music?
    I'm talking about really random people, dude. Or are you one of the girls from Instagram I mentioned before?
    I'm not hating on you, just think you didn't read what I said properly.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017