(Producers Block) Struggling to make better beats.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Firstedition, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Firstedition

Firstedition Newbie

Hey guys,

I used to make great tracks (received positive feedback from professionals) but im kinda struggling right now for some reason, nothing i make sounds as great as i am capable of making it to be (Not feeling excited)

Would love to know what you guys do when you're not feeling inspired/motivated or struggling to make great music like i am doing right now.

Thanks

3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

go out and get laid :)

4. xsze

xsze Guest

Weed :guitarhero:

5. zqone537

zqone537 Noisemaker

http://tools.blackhat-seo.com/strategies/#

The Oblique Strategies were created by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt around 1975. They are a set of 100 cards, each of which is a suggestion of a course of action or thinking to assist in creative situations.

Good tool. It's helped me to get into a different flow one time or another. Give it a shot!

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

you answered your own Question ( Not feeling excited ) you are lacking Inspiration i had the same thing happen to me when i was Married That Dam Girl Sucked All The life Out Of Me With All Her Bull Shit and when i left it all came back to me :wink: :thumbsup:

7. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

Step outside the box. Try listening to new genres of music, picking up on elements or styles within those genres that you could integrate. Try remaking songs within your genre of interest too.

8. Firstedition

Firstedition Newbie

HAHA u are funny....yes im lacking inspiration :(

9. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

- Try to put yourself into the state of needing to express some strong emotion. For example, if you want to write a sentimental piece watch a movie that can shred your soul to pieces and then use them as musical expression to build something from it. If you want a bouncing, dance track go out and feel it or go deaf by listening to multiple tracks at home. Anything you think that's going to motivate you or set you in the right mood.

- Sit down and play random shit. You may hit that magical moment. Find new sounds. Try new effect combinations...

- Do it even if you don't feel like it. (And if you think you should be doing it)

10. Firstedition

Firstedition Newbie

Thankyou soooo much! really appreciate this

11. jiemayn

jiemayn Newbie

Honestly the key is to keep doing songs. I know a guy over at Roland that told me the trick to a hit song, is to write as many songs as possible... maybe it will take a few years... but thats my 2 cents

12. grizz

grizz Member

what i do when im stuck is light a L turn on the 360 an play 2k13 while the raw beat is playing (no instruments)and let the feel of the beat direct itself meaning i gradually add different sounds like violins, brass or what ever im hearing in my head. if im really really stuck thats when i get an acappella from http://www.remixcomps.com/ an remix it. this option is actually the best one bcuz it gives you a good starting point to get out of that beat block phase.
    heres an example of what i mean http://indaba.us/s6XB

13. xsze

xsze Guest

+1

Wrote last night but forgot to send, I watched movies and theme/emotion or just chilling state of mind put me back on a track on a half movie most of the times. *yes*

Other times just doing something that is not so familiar or just different, trying to get out of the comfort zone and experiment even further.

I think most important is to give yourself a break and have fun, not falling apart when something is not going well, just moving on if you are stuck and doing something else, it works for me, for example I write really basic chord progression and just leave it, every time I come back after let's say 15-20 mins I change something, after 2 hours I have pretty good stuff going on just having fresh ears every 15 minutes...imagin treating the same idea for few days, just fresh ears every time, soon it will be so changed, simple is not going to exist in that anymore, every time you hear something different and every time you make more, not mentioning you have really fresh ears and in second you know what is wrong, does it work and what to change :wink:

Entering some remix competition and working on finished idea employing something new, that's even better, you are still working but you don't have to think about every single aspect of track, just enjoying and recreating something that already works, it's good move and fun in the same time *yes*

14. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

if i were you id listen to worst piece of music imaginable, something you really hate... then you will be so pissed off you will have to make great music to counter act the effects of the crap song

also: Weed

[​IMG]

works for willie

a good way to start is to make a nice synth pad for atmosphere, then add some subtle melodic transitions and just let it drone while you imagine what sounds come next...soon a whole symphony will appear in your head

i agree with stepping outside of your comfort zone, try something you havent done before, a new genre might invigorate your creativity

good luck and enjoy making music