Producer Fatigue

Discussion in 'Studio' started by FrankWhite23, Nov 1, 2020.

1. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Hey guys,
    I've been dealing with producer fatigue basically since I started producing and when I say producer fatigue I don't mean I'm sick of making music its really the opposite. My mind is telling me create, create, create but my body is telling me to go take a nap. Now I do suffer from some conditions like a auntomune disease but when I'm at my 9-5 factory work very seldom do I feel this.. mainly because im up and moving around..things I've tried that helped alittlebit were I changed my diet to a more healthy schedule and started taking vitamins now that helped out alittlebit.. when I work my 9-5 its pretty much exercise since all I do is lift 20-30 pounds onto a pallet. Has anyone else had this happin to them? If so what are some things that worked?..there are things I was planning on trying.. standing while producing, buying brighter lights for my room, maybe a fan or something with to keep the air purified and moving around. I dunno if ya guys have any suggestions im all ears.
    P.s me and my girl just had a baby so I know thats a extra load ontop of my usual activities

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

My suggestion would be, get more sleep during the week so you're well recovered at the weekend and then be creative. If your body says it needs more sleep it's most probably right.

4. Mark Styles

Mark Styles Newbie

Diet is very important to ones health.. When you're young, it's easy to overload and tax the body, and it will generally put up with it. As you age, your hormones change, and you have to adjust your approach to creating music and just staying healthy... In my 20's I'd record till I dropped. Often stimulated with coffee, and stronger things (which I no longer do, DON'T START).. By my 50's, it was extremely noticeable I could no longer pull all niters or go long periods with only coffee.. I was ruining my health.

Just like with a singer on her 20'th take.. You have to know when you've reached the point of dominishing returns. Working with others requires more tack.. (Hey' - you've done so many takes, you're singing now sucks).. You have to realize when you have reached your stopping point yourself.

Since you are a member here, I'll assume you are as into it as all of us here. Music will be a life long committing for you most likely.. You don't have to get all the music out of you before you're 30. I've blown thru all serious relationships in my life because music and computers came before people.. I was somewhat aware of that at 20, so a long term relationship was not important to me.. I have some friends who are approaching 50 with members of the same band.. Since they've retired, they are starting to play out again.. Different venues now, and certainly not at the pace of a 20 something.. But they are having a great time.

Don't neglect your wife or child.. The child grows up only once, and FAST.. Set time aside to be Dad.

As far as the music. keep a notebook of what you want to do recording, producing. Maybe 4 hours a few times a week.. Know in advance what you want to do, so when you are in the studio, you are productive. Also set time up in the studio, just to play, goof around, improvise etc. The key to a long successful relationship to anything WIFE/Music/Job etc. is to be aware. And when you don't feel that great one day, the wife and child are off, you can spend 10 hours in your studio, doing what you want.

While I enjoy the fact, that I spent a significant # of my waking hours creating music.. I do not have a family, who will love me, comfort me.
    Take time to re-assess what is important to you, and figure out what you need to do, to accomplish your goals.

I was very much a loner all my life, so I could spend the time doing music.. But in the end, it's what you've done along the journey of your life. I've known a couple of people who were very successful in their careers, but it came at a great price (in the long run).. They would probably not change anything if could do it again.. Their desire for fame and money, drove them.. For me, it was the value of making music, whether it got

5. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Wow man.. your post really hit home for me... and I'd be lieing if I said I didn't tear up while reading it.. me and my wife fight because she says I spend to much time worrying about music and making it a full time thing. My theory was work really hard for 4-5 years if it doesn't pan out then it will just be a hobby.. I wasted my earlier years selling drugs and doing things im not proud of but its my story and alot of pain I hold.. now that I've found a constructive way to hussle thats not illegal it scares me if I don't make income from it I will slowly go back to my old ways.. it happened once before.. but now I have a daughter that needs me so I wanna make her proud. I work a factory job that we barely get by with and I don't wanna be that guy that is at his death bed wondering if I could of made it.. its definitely not easy im already 35 so time is ticking and the window of opportunity is closing. But I definitely need to make sure I divide my time up so everyone is happy.. but thank you for that post my stubborn ass really needed to hear it:mates:

6. Misterguywick

Misterguywick Producer

Oh. the old wanna make a banger but 'damn, gotta get my shit together.' anxiety is a b

If u smoke I recommend a detox